This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlton's Wild Ride

I just posted this in MC Sceptics then remembered you need to have MCG to read there so I'm posting it here in case anyone can answer or add to it.
    thanx

Once upon a time there was a CM who piloted Monorail Orange named Carlton.
    On his last run of the last day of his job as a CM he supposedly told his passengers to "Hold On" and ran Monorail Orange through the course "Wide Open*" as fast as he could. When Orange finally came to a halt in Tomorrowland the cops were supposedly waiting for Carlton and he disappears from the legend at this point.

Supposedly the damage to Monorail Orange was real and required much repair work, of which pictures supposedly exist.

So far all I can find out about this story is A) it's a story some folks believe, swear is true. B) No one can say when it actually happened and no one seems to have much to add to it either.

OK now you've heard the legend basically as I did (you can always use search to find the few times it's been talked about) now let's strip it down to the facts and get some kind of proof and perhaps pictures or put this sucker to rest. Come on MC Skeptics, it's time to turn our gaze inward behind the berm.

Are we up to it?

* how fast DOES a DL Monorail go, sans govenor, anyway?
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Re: Carlton's Wild Ride

Well I don't know how accurate it is, but according to the wiki it seems it wasn't until the Mark V's that they were called by the colors. "The 1987-1989 Mark V trains were named by the color of the stripe on the train: Monorail Red, Monorail Blue, Monorail Orange, and Monorail Purple."

Comment

ummmmmmmmmmm
      "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

Comment

That would be the coolest monorail ride ever!

I had never heard this myth/legend before. I am interested to know if it is true or not, hopefully somebody here can shed some light on this.

Comment

I believe the fastest a Mk. V could go then and now is 35 mph. Back in the time of Carlton's Wild Ride, speed control was the sole responsibility of the pilot. Shortly after Carlton's Wild Ride, however, an overspeed system was installed to limit a trains speed to the speed limit for that section of track.

Comment

Originally posted by chadb14 View Post
            That would be the coolest monorail ride ever!

I had never heard this myth/legend before. I am interested to know if it is true or not, hopefully somebody here can shed some light on this.

Here's what I could find here on MC

Originally posted by AEGuy42 View Post
            Everything I've heard about it points to Monorail Orange being the victim monorail train here (and yes, it has gotten quite the inspection recently ), but it did return to service after a complete inspection and some minor repairs.

Also, I heard that the ride was done at FULL speed, from the hotel to Tomorrowland (which includes all the curvy bits around the Matterhorn and sub lagoon), where he stopped practically on a dime in the station (and was promptly removed by security).

Needless to say, this is all rumors I've heard on my part. Hopefully a former CM (preferably in monorails) could further enlighten us...
            Originally posted by FormerDiz
            It was Carlton's wild ride and no, in the early 90's, the monorails had no limits on speed.

Now they do, but way back then, the monorail pilot actually paid had to pay attention to how fast they were going in various parts of the park.

Inside the park (the twisty part) was supposed to be 15 miles per hour or less. Carlton managed to do 35 around the Matterhorn in Monorail Orange during his last day at the park.

He blew tires out and stressed the frame.

Monorail Blue was the one that actually fell off the beam. Remind me to tell you about that one sometime.
            Originally posted by monorail1
            Allow me!

Although I did not work there at the time, the Monorail shop guys showed me some pretty cool pictures of that little incident.

Like all mornings, the Monorails were being pulled out of the shop. Since the trains pull into the shop Forwards at the end of each normal operating day, the trains pull out of the shop Backwards. Now, the monorail beam has a track switch right by the parade gate at It's a Small World. This switch allows the train to pull into the shop as opposed to continuing on the main loop. Well on this particular morning, Monorail Blue was powered up and the the systems were checked. She was good to go. The only problem was that the track was never switched to connect to the main beam. In other words, THE BEAM ENDED AT A DROP! Needless to say, the driver did not realize what had happened until it was too late. The entire rear cabin fell off the beam. The cabin was at an angle with the nose cone touching the ground. Luckily, no one was injured but they did have to bring cranes in to take Blue off the beam.

Again I would not have believed it unless I saw the pictures! Priceless!
            Source: MiceChat
            IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Comment

Well now you're appealing to the ultimate authority - Micechat!

Comment

When I worked Tomorrowland attractions it was kinda like an urban myth. Everyone talked about it but nobody to really confirm it. Many people claimed before they put the overspeed system in that they wanted to do that on their last shift though. I also heard about the monorail falling off the track though. Some of the older CMs remember it because they were there that night and the shop guys used to talk about it too. Supposibly it was some rookie that didn't know better.
                Last edited by PirateChick; 01-23-2007, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogberto View Post
                  Well now you're appealing to the ultimate authority - Micechat!
                  Well, let's see what chunks of the legend itself we can dig up and hopefully a few bits of truth will fall out of 'em.
                  I thought you'd done some lawyerin' before, sheesh
                  IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Comment

Originally posted by PirateChick View Post
                    When I worked Tomorrowland attractions it was kinda like an urban myth. Everyone talked about it but nobody to really confirm it. Many people claimed before they put the overspeed system in that they wanted to do that on their last shift though. I also heard about the monorail falling off the track though. Some of the older CMs remember it because they were there that night and the shop guys used to talk about it too. Supposibly it was some rookie that didn't know better.

Both happened, Carlton left Disneyland in approx. 1990. His last day was his wild ride. The lead on that attraction lost her lead status over the incident because she did not cut power to the train. She was away from the control console assisting a guest on the platform and didn't notice Orange flying into the park at warp 9.

The Blue derailment was not the rookie's fault. She had completed training and was adding blue back to the line after it was pulled in to the shop to get the brakes fixed.

Turned out, the brakes weren't all that fixed. There was nothing a rookie pilot or a more experienced pilot could have done in that situation to stop monorail blue from falling off the end of the beam.
                    Last edited by FormerDiz; 01-23-2007, 04:06 PM.

Comment

This is rather fascinating, and honestly I've never heard of this incident before. I hope we discover the truth soon!

Comment

Good morning, son
                        In twenty years from now
                        Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                        And I can tell you 'bout today
                        And how I picked you up and everything changed
                        It was pain
                        Sunny days and rain
                        I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

I agree with you. Everything is worthless unless you have pictures!

Comment

If the police were involved wouldn't the first place to ask be the Anaheim Police Department?

Comment

man, that would have been fun... going 35 on those loops around fantasyland and Matterhorn...

fun fun fun...

when did orange go to Canada.. maybe they might be able to say since they get to repair any old damage to the frames for referb into the next mark monorails.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X