This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland Resort Hotel

I was hoping that the throngs of people out there would be able to tell me anything and everything about the DL Hotel. There are six of us going in July and we are going to be staying in a 3BR Suite. So let me have it-Thoughts, opinions, impressions.

On a side note, how are the crowds in July (13-16)?

I appreciate all of your input on this.

Re: Disneyland Resort Hotel

As far as things to do while you're at the hotel, there are some nice restaurants(goofy's kitchen, steakhouse) and the lost bar but it's just a hotel. It's not the major attraction it used to be with lotsa stuff to do at the hotel itself, they want you in downtown disney or the parks . The suite itself will be awesome though =D

Comment

Part 1- Disneyland Hotel
      The DL Hotel is pretty nice. I prefer the Grand CA but the DLH is located across the street from Downtown which means you're able to get to the restaurants, shops, monorail, and parks easily. It's not amazing, but it's not bad. Characters come into the lobby, so that's fun for the kids. Tip- there's a little cafe next to Goofy's Kitchen that sells breakfast items. It's a cheaper place to buy food and take it to your room if you're not doing anything special for breakfast. Check out the fountains at night, the lights are really pretty. If you're going with kids, check out the little jungle cruise boats. They're remote controlled and cost about 50 cents to drive if you need a rest from the park. The Fantasia gift shop is also one of the best gift shops in the resort- they have a lot of the things they sell in the parks, so that's a good place to get souveneirs without waiting in a long line (break from the craziness of the parks). If you go swimming, stay away from the Neverland pool if it's crowded. When I was there they closed it due to a non swim diaper incident. Go to the cove pools by the fitness center. They're not as fun to look at, but it's less of a crowd. (wow, information overload!)

Part 2- crowds
      I went last year at about the same time you are going. It was pretty crowded, not as much as on a holiday, but still pretty crowded. Lines aren't horrible, but there's enough people that you can't walk straight on anything. I usually take the Monorail and do Disneyland right when it opens. When it gets too crowded, I go to DCA. Then go back to Disneyland for fireworks, Fantasmic, rides you want to do at night, etc. I find that if you go to DCA, there's less of a crowd so you're not as overwhelmed. You can "relax" for a few hours.

And there you have it, trip tips from JesJas03.Have fun!!!:yea:
      If we chase the stars to lose our shadow, Peter Pan and Wendy turned out fine.

Comment

The Disneyland Hotel is very nice but not as fun as it used to be. I like to remember it prior to May of 1999.
        sigpicwww.magicalhotel.com

Comment

Lost. Bar.
          'nuff. Said.
          Good morning, son
          In twenty years from now
          Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
          And I can tell you 'bout today
          And how I picked you up and everything changed
          It was pain
          Sunny days and rain
          I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

jesjas03 recommends the cove pools. I love them too, the whole area around them with the sand and the playground and the volleyball. But last July and September, one pool was not working properly (water levels too high or too low and thus the skimmer wasn't removing debris/bugs from the surface) and then in December the whole area was all dug up. I was afraid the cove pools were becoming another lost love as most of the grand hotel features disappear. So are they back and working now?

In response to tiggerfan74's questions, I'd also recommend Hook's Pointe restaurant. I think the atmosphere, food, and service are really good and although I've only gone there once, it wasn't very crowded. On the other side of Hook's Pointe is a little snack shop, Captain's Galley that is open in daytime hours. And I love the Nachos at Croc's Bits & Bites, which are also served at the Lost Bar. Goofy's Kitchen is my favorite restaurant in the world. It's especially great for birthdays.

The rooms are in three towers. We've had two bedroom suites in each of the three towers and we've had standard rooms in each one. I used to have preferences but now I just like any one. The suite we had in the Bonita Tower was very big. The Bonita Tower has a nice atmosphere next to the Koi pools and Horseshoe Falls. I love a room facing Downtown Disney in the Sierra Tower to see the view and hear the sounds. And the Marina Tower has the best lobby, where you might see Goofy sometimes.
            Last edited by nemopoppins; 01-25-2007, 09:19 PM. Reason: didn't want to leave out my favorite restaurant in the world

Comment

Originally posted by nemopoppins View Post
              jesjas03 recommends the cove pools. I love them too, the whole area around them with the sand and the playground and the volleyball. But last July and September, one pool was not working properly (water levels too high or too low and thus the skimmer wasn't removing debris/bugs from the surface) and then in December the whole area was all dug up. I was afraid the cove pools were becoming another lost love as most of the grand hotel features disappear. So are they back and working now?

In response to tiggerfan74's questions, I'd also recommend Hook's Pointe restaurant. I think the atmosphere, food, and service are really good and although I've only gone there once, it wasn't very crowded. On the other side of Hook's Pointe is a little snack shop, Captain's Galley that is open in daytime hours. And I love the Nachos at Croc's Bits & Bites, which are also served at the Lost Bar. Goofy's Kitchen is my favorite restaurant in the world. It's especially great for birthdays.

The rooms are in three towers. We've had two bedroom suites in each of the three towers and we've had standard rooms in each one. I used to have preferences but now I just like any one. The suite we had in the Bonita Tower was very big. The Bonita Tower has a nice atmosphere next to the Koi pools and Horseshoe Falls. I love a room facing Downtown Disney in the Sierra Tower to see the view and hear the sounds. And the Marina Tower has the best lobby, where you might see Goofy sometimes.
              I've stayed in the Marina and Sierra Towers. My room in Marina had a lovely view of the parking lot. My Sierra room had an actually nice view of Downtown Disney. I prefer staying in Sierra, it's closer to Downtown and you don't have to walk through the lobby. If you're a major Disney music fan, they play it in the Sierra lobby by the elevators. The Cove Pools were working when I stayed there in November, so I would assume they are still working now, unless you stayed after I did. The Lost Bar is pretty good, kinda awkward with little kids and people getting drunk at the same time. I ate there at about 10 or 11 at night after driving for a while. If you eat there late at night the only food they serve is nachos and chicken strips from Croc's Bits and Bites. The chicken tenders were good though, one order could feed a family of 3-5 if you're looking for a light snack/meal. I liked that they gave several dipping sauces without having to ask for them (Barbecue, Ranch, and Ketchup, I know I'm weird, I like dipping sauce)). If you are planning to work out (I know, the park itself is a workout), the fitness center is okay. It's not as extravagant as the Grand Cali's, but it's not bad. You have to sign a waiver at the fron desk first though. The room decor is nice, pics of rides from the park's beginning and the TV cabinet has a map of the original plans for Disneyland. I enjoyed the Grand Californian more (bunk beds!), but I have fond memories of the Disneyland Hotel too. Overall nice hotel. I'm Disneyland(2nd home)sick!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jesjas03 View Post
                I'm Disneyland(2nd home)sick!!!
                Me too! But my daughter says it this way, "My home is Disneyland. This [our house] is my second home."

Comment

I have stayed at 3 bedroom suites in both the Marina and the Sierra Tower. I found the Sierra Tower was a larger suite and had a wonderful view (one direction it is downtown disney other direction is the never land pools) The suites themselves are 3 bedrooms and 3.5 baths, the sitting room is very large and very convenient. I also do the conceige level with these suites, as it is the same cost no matter how many rooms and how many people you have staying with you. So going with the 3 bedroom suite it is a good deal (although you have a pretty small group for a 3 bedroom, we usually have 12 people in that size rooms) No matter what you will have a wonderful time. The restaurant I recommend is Hooks Pointe, they do a very nice job if you are looking for a nice break from Disneyland, after which of course you get to go back to the Parks very refreshed!

Comment

Definately take the time to dine at one of the hotel's great restaurants. As Kath2188 said Hook's Pointe is a fantastic escape from the meyhem of the parks in July.

Comment

I love the DL Hotel...original...history...FEELS like Disney.

I have always found the staff friendly and ready to please and accomodate.

The Coffee House, between the Hotel gift shop and Goofy's Kitchen, is a great place for early morning coffee, juice, hot chocolate...and a breakfast snack....they have cereal, fresh fruit, assorted pastries, muffins, and bagels...other items too.

I have eaten at Goofy's Kitchen (character breakfast), relaxed at the Lost Bar for a snack and a drink, grabbed a quick lunch at Croc's ... and was pleased with all.

My granddaughter and I visited the Neverland pool both in June and November and had no problems. In the summer months there is a little cabana bar set up inside the pool area that serves soft drinks, cocktails, and chips.

Don't miss walking by the waterfalls near the Bonita Tower...they are beautiful, and at night they are lit up. GREAT photo ops!!

The Koi Pond, just beyond the waterfalls, is fun too. On Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:30, you can feed the Koil NOT just for kids!! There is a little gate with a platform and guests can go out on the platform over the water, the CM will provide a handful of pellets, and the loi will eat right our of our hand!

Below is some info from my little "hotel booklet" I put together for trips...if you have anyother questions, feel free to ask!

You can have Vacation Planning make dining reservations, Fantasmic reservations, room deliveries, etc.
                      Disney Vacation Planning
                      714-300-7526

As you shop in the park you can have packages delivered to the hotel. They are delivered to the bell desk in front of the main entrance, and are available after 7:30 the next morning.

The bell desk, is you "overshop" and have bulging suitcases, will also pack and send items home for you via UPS, or other mail service.

If you arrive before check-in time and want to go to the park, the bell desk will hold your luggage for you. And the hotel will call you when your room is ready.

Your room charge card entitles you to priority monorail boarding when leaving the park and returning to the hotel.

There is a wall of memorabilia by the Grand Ball Room with pictures of famous guests at Disneyland.

Sharon
                      Next Trip - Nov. 13-19 2011

Comment

Do yourself a huge favor. If you are going to be there in the summer stay at a hotel in Newport or Huntington Beach.

Anaheim is hotter than h*** during the summer and everyone is crawling around like ants.

These beach cities are only 20 minutes away by car, and many hotels in these areas should be able to arrange shuttles to and from DLR anyway. You also have the advantage of kicking back and will be able to relax a bit. Consider this: Summertime in Anaheim can be anywhere from 85 - 95 degrees. Beach temps are anywhere between 70 - 85 degrees. Plus you don't have to deal with the crowds.

If you stay at DL Hotel great. But I never reccommend any of the DLR area hotels for any freinds or relatives who come to visit.

Comment

Originally posted by nemopoppins View Post
                          Me too! But my daughter says it this way, "My home is Disneyland. This [our house] is my second home."
                          I totally agree. As for the wallpaper glow in the dark thing, it's never worked for me when I was there.

Comment

The pixie dust on the wall will glow for me if all lights have been on and then turn off all lights and make sure no light is coming in the window. But even when it's not glowing, I like the fact that Tinker Bell is sprinkling the stuff for us.

Comment

I guess I've always been to tired or eager to leave the room to notice.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X