Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Circlevision anymore in Disneyland/CA - Extinct - Sad

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No Circlevision anymore in Disneyland/CA - Extinct - Sad

    Just occured to me. I mean at WDW they took out Circlevision (The Timekeeper) for the "Laugh Floor" :croll:, but at least in Florida they still have Circlevision at Epcot in the China and Canada pavillions. But Circlevision is extinct in California. I've always loved Circlevision and found it to be a unique Disney theme park experience (or Disney created attraction experience - I saw and remember the Circlevision movie Disney created for the Montreal Pavillion at the Expo '86 in Vancouver). I hope Epcot never loses their Circlevision movies.

    Anyone else feel the same way?
    Last edited by NickCharles; 03-13-2007, 02:28 PM.

  • #2
    Re: No Circlevision anymore in Disneyland/CA - Extinct - Sad

    So, CircleVision's been gone since '97 and this just occurred to you? You must have reallllly loved it!

    In all seriousness, I agree with you. Soarin's about as close as we get these days, and doesn't its popularity send any kind of message to the powers that be that some of the simple, old-school Disney attractions still have some drawing power?

    I for one will miss Timekeeper. It was the perfect blend of technologies. And I hope to make it back to Epcot before the other films go the way of the dodo.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: No Circlevision anymore in Disneyland/CA - Extinct - Sad

      Originally posted by DarkRider View Post
      So, CircleVision's been gone since '97 and this just occurred to you? You must have reallllly loved it!

      In all seriousness, I agree with you. Soarin's about as close as we get these days, and doesn't its popularity send any kind of message to the powers that be that some of the simple, old-school Disney attractions still have some drawing power?

      I for one will miss Timekeeper. It was the perfect blend of technologies. And I hope to make it back to Epcot before the other films go the way of the dodo.
      No, I mean, I just thought about how it's not anywhere in California anymore; especially since Timekeeper disappeared in Florida, there's only two left...I guess it just started to feel urgent to me suddenly.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: No Circlevision anymore in Disneyland/CA - Extinct - Sad

        I certainly agree with you. It was a unique and really enjoyable attraction.

        My idea would be for Disney to somehow use the Innoventions building for a new Circlevision film show. It could even be computer-generated and updated every couple of years.

        Just my $.02.

        Dan

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: No Circlevision anymore in Disneyland/CA - Extinct - Sad

          You can always get the dvd from Extinct Attractions of both America the Beautiful and American Journeys, with a historical perspective as well. Well worth the money.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: No Circlevision anymore in Disneyland/CA - Extinct - Sad

            Originally posted by PLAZAINN1 View Post
            You can always get the dvd from Extinct Attractions of both America the Beautiful and American Journeys, with a historical perspective as well. Well worth the money.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: No Circlevision anymore in Disneyland/CA - Extinct - Sad

              Originally posted by NickCharles View Post
              Just occured to me. I mean at WDW they took out Circlevision (The Timekeeper) for the "Laugh Floor" :croll:, but at least in Florida they still have Circlevision at Epcot in the China and Canada pavillions. But Circlevision is extinct in California. I've always loved Circlevision and found it to be a unique Disney theme park experience (or Disney created attraction experience - I saw and remember the Circlevision movie Disney created for the Montreal Pavilliion at the Expo '86 in Vancouver). I hope Epcot never loses their Circlevision movies.

              Anyone else feel the same way?
              It's funny, for the longest time I was wondering, wasn't there a Circlevision at Expo 86? I have this faint memory of seeing a Circlevision movie at Expo. Thanks, this post confirmed that. On a side note, it's interesting to note that the Mystery Lodge attraction at Knott's was originally at Expo 86 as part of the GM Pavilion and was named Spirit Lodge.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: No Circlevision anymore in Disneyland/CA - Extinct - Sad

                Where can I get the dvd of America the Beautiful from?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: No Circlevision anymore in Disneyland/CA - Extinct - Sad

                  Originally posted by NickCharles View Post
                  Just occured to me. I mean at WDW they took out Circlevision (The Timekeeper) for the "Laugh Floor" :croll:, but at least in Florida they still have Circlevision at Epcot in the China and Canada pavillions. But Circlevision is extinct in California. I've always loved Circlevision and found it to be a unique Disney theme park experience (or Disney created attraction experience - I saw and remember the Circlevision movie Disney created for the Montreal Pavilliion at the Expo '86 in Vancouver). I hope Epcot never loses their Circlevision movies.

                  Anyone else feel the same way?

                  I agree with you. It was truly a unique film going experience that one can't simply get at home or even at a theater.

                  With newer technologies in mind, how amazing would it be to have an attraction where folks stand on a tiered platform in the center of the theater and SURROUNDED by IMAX screens.

                  Circle Vision? How about GLOBE vision??


                  Anyhoo... I agree. I miss circle vision and hope it doesn't become extinct entirely.


                  Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                  http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

                  Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: No Circlevision anymore in Disneyland/CA - Extinct - Sad

                    Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                    I agree with you. It was truly a unique film going experience that one can't simply get at home or even at a theater.

                    With newer technologies in mind, how amazing would it be to have an attraction where folks stand on a tiered platform in the center of the theater and SURROUNDED by IMAX screens.

                    Circle Vision? How about GLOBE vision??


                    Anyhoo... I agree. I miss circle vision and hope it doesn't become extinct entirely.
                    Larger screens would be better, but I don't think having the screen go up above you would be necessary, as it would be mostly just sky. But it would be neat maybe -- consider Yosemite Valley or the Grand Canyon or something -- so that is a good idea.

                    I would think though, that these days they would be able to elimnate the individual screens. You would no longer have the black matting inbetween the screens and you would have one, seamless circle... that would be neat.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: No Circlevision anymore in Disneyland/CA - Extinct - Sad

                      I love CircleVision, especially America the Beautiful and American Journeys! I wish an example would return. Digital screens with a more consistent/matched picture would really boost the effect.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: No Circlevision anymore in Disneyland/CA - Extinct - Sad

                        Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                        I love CircleVision, especially America the Beautiful and American Journeys! I wish an example would return. Digital screens with a more consistent/matched picture would really boost the effect.
                        Right on.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: No Circlevision anymore in Disneyland/CA - Extinct - Sad

                          It been rumored that the Canada Pavillion at Epcot will get an updated Circlevison sometime in the near futrue. Universe of Energy while not a full 360 is very cool with the way it was presented.

                          While Circlevison has not been an actuall attraction since 1997 it did have a part in the Rocket Rod queue it was almost like 2 attractions in one wait in a 2 hour line and you got a small Circlevison and the Rocket Rods
                          "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: No Circlevision anymore in Disneyland/CA - Extinct - Sad

                            Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                            I love CircleVision, especially America the Beautiful and American Journeys! I wish an example would return. Digital screens with a more consistent/matched picture would really boost the effect.
                            I happen to have a little first hand knowledge about this.

                            All 9 Circlevision projectors ran off one motor and all nine films were perfectly synchronized at all times right to the same sprocket hole! It was almost impossible for them to become out-of-sync. The film for each projector was not on a traditional reel, but each one ran in huge sterile dust-free cabinets, up and down in a huge endless loop film chain.

                            Only on the rare occasion when one of the film loops broke, did the projectionist manually sync and run the emergency back-up film, that was on a traditional reel, but also ran on the same common motor.

                            So if you ever saw a Circlevision film that had any sort of sync problem with any screen and was not perfectly syncronized...that was an extremely rare occurrence that wouldn't have lasted more than one day or two, until all nine films were replaced from a set always standing by for such rotation in!

                            Each of the nine films were specially processed by Technicolor at the same time in the same "batch" to insure perfect color balance.

                            In later years the basic film stock was switched to a much stronger mylar base, which made film breakage almost non-existent and usually the colors would start to fade long before the film would ever break.

                            But you should have never noticed any color fading either, as films were set to rotate out after so many cycles/screenings, long before the colors started to become noticeably weaker.

                            The Circlevision "process" as developed by Disney's own team (Broggie/Iwerks perhaps) was really remarkable. At Disneyland, Imagineer John Hench was always personally in charge of overseeing the exhibit, projection quality and show on behalf of Disney.

                            Of course a digital projection system today would have many economies and less headaches for Disney. And probably be more reliable too. But as far as Guest experience and image quality...I don't see it being much different, if they ran it like they used to.

                            You probably would be able to narrow the gap/frame between screens with digital screens, and that might provide a more "seamless" transition from screen to screen. But I'm not too sure it would make that much difference unless the seam was totally invisible.

                            I love all the Circlevision films. But mostly "America the Beautiful" and "American Journeys." Florida's "Magic Carpet Round The World" was enjoyable too.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: No Circlevision anymore in Disneyland/CA - Extinct - Sad

                              Yes, but (in later "cheap" years perhaps) they sometimes replaced single reels and the color balancing didn't optimally match. No matter, I still loved the effect.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X