Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Mickey And Friends" Garage. Couldn't It Be Made A Tad Friendlier?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Mickey And Friends" Garage. Couldn't It Be Made A Tad Friendlier?

I just had some thoughts about the Mickey and Friends Parking garage I wanted to share in the spirit of discussion.

Granted...I am not the most in-shape person in the world.

Granted...I have a general dislike for parking garages anyway.

Granted...The DLR has changed. And there's no going back.

And granted...even though it had many good points, the old Parking Lot wasn't always a walk in the park either.

Having said that...isn't there a way of making the Mickey and Fiends (as I call it) a little more friendly?

Depending on where they tell you to park, it seems like the walk to the escalators and trams is as long as any walk you'll have all day...and at the end of the day, I feel like there should be another tram inside the structure to get me to my car! I know, just kidding...but I wish there could be one.

And when I've had to park there, coming back I get off at my level...and maybe I'm just stupid but it seems like I have to walk halfway around the building to find my section (which I marked on my ticket just in case logic might actually come into play in this).

I know that this structure has to hold an ungodly number of cars and all that. But couldn't they have put in more escalators/elevators to cut down the walk?

Am I the only one who feels this way?

--Barry

I try to get there early enough to be parked in "Pinocchio" but quite often can't manage. And I usually don't find the Timon lots, bless their piece of heritage, to be open.

Additional thought: It may just be faded memory, but it sure seemed like you got in and got parked much faster in the old days ....
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 03-14-2007, 01:09 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Re: The "Mickey And Friends" Garage. Couldn't It Be Made A Tad Friendlier?

LOL, I feel the same way when I end up in the very back corner of the parking structure. The amount of time it takes to GET to the park after you actually GET to the park is pretty scary nowadays.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
      LOL, I feel the same way when I end up in the very back corner of the parking structure. The amount of time it takes to GET to the park after you actually GET to the park is pretty scary nowadays.
      You said it all, my friend!
      God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

I'm not so much annoyed by walking long distances through the structure as I am by the appearance of the structure. Afterall, burning off some more of that Plaza Inn Chicken Dinner isn't a bad thing.

I just wish Imagineering had been involved to some degree in the development of the structure. it is undoubtedly the most unmagical way to begin and end a visit to Disneyland. A concrete jungle of poor first impressions and even worse final memories.

Entirely unmagical, unthemed, and emotionally unrewarding and cold, the structure is the polar opposite of everything that lies within the gates of Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

I hate to tell you but they might be heading a step in the opposite direction

On sunday when I went through the toll booth the guy asked me if I minded taking a 2 question survey. The questions were "Do you have a problem walking up a flight of stairs?" and "If we added overflow parking, would you mind having to walk for a few minutes to get to a tram to bring you to the park?"

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey View Post
            I'm not so much annoyed by walking long distances through the structure as I am by the appearance of the structure. Afterall, burning off some more of that Plaza Inn Chicken Dinner isn't a bad thing.

I just wish Imagineering had been involved to some degree in the development of the structure. it is undoubtedly the most unmagical way to begin and end a visit to Disneyland. A concrete jungle of poor first impressions and even worse final memories.

Entirely unmagical, unthemed, and emotionally unrewarding and cold, the structure is the polar opposite of everything that lies within the gates of Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom.
            At least in the old days, when you pulled into the parking lot, big and far away as it may have been, you sensed the magic right off...seeing the Monorail, the trains pulling in, etc.

Certainly there could be something done to at least brighten up the structure a bit. I know, as I said before, that things have changed and we can't go back to what was.

Comment

The confounded thing was designed by Michael Eisner, himself.

I think the poor design was part of his master plan to convince people to stay overnight in the hotels.

Comment

i miss the old parking lot. I remember if you got there SUPER early you could get rock star parking right in front of the gates. of course getting OUT of the lot at the end of day was a freaking NIGHTMARE. Oy!

Comment

Funny, the walk to the escalators from my car always seems MUCH longer than the walk back to my car.
                  Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Goofygoof and I complain about the long walk every time we go! He even thought it would be a good idea to put one of those conveyer belt type things so the walk wouldn't be as bad.
                    Honestly though, I don't mind the walk. Just think of Europe. People walk everywhere all the time. The walk from one end of the parking structure to the escalators really isn't much compared to how much walking we're going to do in the park anyway. Let's not be lazy. Let's walk and burn those calories!
                    The Armenian Genocide

Comment

Walt Disney specifically designed Disneyland as small as he did in order to minimize walking distances. He said that a person shouldn't have to walk more than a mile over the course of a day. He was particularly concerned about sore feet and legs and the grumpiness they cause.

Disneyland was also designed with a triangular shape so that walking distances in the parking areas would be as short as possible.

Comment

woah, really?

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                          Walt Disney specifically designed Disneyland as small as he did in order to minimize walking distances. He said that a person shouldn't have to walk more than a mile over the course of a day. He was particularly concerned about sore feet and legs and the grumpiness they cause.

Disneyland was also designed with a triangular shape so that walking distances in the parking areas would be as short as possible.
                          Another reason Walt would hate DCA. Doesn't it seem like it takes forever to get anywhere in that place?!
                          The Armenian Genocide

Comment

Originally posted by French25Fan View Post
                            Another reason Walt would hate DCA. Doesn't it seem like it takes forever to get anywhere in that place?!
                            I have to agree with you there. Which is why I save TOT for the end of my day, because I really dislike how it just dead ends right there and you have to walk quite a distance to get to other rides (I know Monster's is close ... but I don't like it).

As for the parking structure I actually like it quite a bit. Especially now that the warmer weather is coming it helps to keep my car cooler. If this was the old parking lot my car would be out in the sun all day and I'd get back to a hot car.

Added to that not only do I walk from my car to the escalators, but recently I have taken to avoiding the tram and walking to the park from the structure.

Comment

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this about the parking. But how about some more elevators. There are only 2 elevators (I think) for the whole structure? Then the problem is quadrupled when most of the people using the elevator don't have a stroller or a wheelchair!! What the heck...does the escelator really take that much more effort? We who have strollers don't have a choice other that to take the elevator or carry the stroller up the regular stairs. There should be many more elevators.

/Rant

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X