X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unofficial Guide to Disneyland Books by Bob Shelinger

Who uses these?

I am not too impressed. He has some stuff wrong (saying Superstar Limo closed in 2003 when it was really January '02), and also, he says "the key to keeping the magic is not to rush around madly, but to experience it" or whatever, then gives you a planned, rush-around, touring plan! (several different ones!)

I am also mad that the WDW and Disneyland books simply have the same descriptions for rides. Granted, some are VERY similar, like the Carrousels, but I think unique descriptions would be nice.

I bought the 1994 Unofficial Guide to DL and the 2005 one, and some of the descriptions have not been touched in that long. The guest comments much be ANCIENT, because they're in both editions. WDW and Disneyland guides also use the same, tired comments.

I dont find these books worth the $14 - $20 price tag (depending on if you buy WDW or DL).

I haven't heard of Bob Shelinger.
    I used WDW for Dummies book on my trip there.

Part of "experiencing" the parks is not knowing too much about them. The books seem to serve to lessen the "experience" (although most of us are way past the not-knowing stage).

Minimal Important Things to Know, before you arrive:
    1. Where the parking lot is, what exit to get off of, where the bus stop is at the resort and park (WDW).
    2. Ticket booths (if not already bought).
    3. Park entrance.
    4. Bathroom locations.
    5. Park exit.
    Other than that, a park map can give you a good idea as to where everything else is, when shows are, etc.

There is probably more info that people wouldn't dare to not know. Appropriateness of Attractions by age group, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
      Who uses these?

I am not too impressed. He has some stuff wrong (saying Superstar Limo closed in 2003 when it was really January '02), and also, he says "the key to keeping the magic is not to rush around madly, but to experience it" or whatever, then gives you a planned, rush-around, touring plan! (several different ones!)

I am also mad that the WDW and Disneyland books simply have the same descriptions for rides. Granted, some are VERY similar, like the Carrousels, but I think unique descriptions would be nice.

I bought the 1994 Unofficial Guide to DL and the 2005 one, and some of the descriptions have not been touched in that long. The guest comments much be ANCIENT, because they're in both editions. WDW and Disneyland guides also use the same, tired comments.

I dont find these books worth the $14 - $20 price tag (depending on if you buy WDW or DL).
      I sware by the Unofficial Guide. As they say, why re-write the book if it hasn't been changed? Why not focus on new material? It's not ment as a holy book of DL or WDW, but a tour guide, so closure dates and such that arn't off by much are acceptable. Try the touring plans, while they are not the most relaxed, they do allow you to spend more time enjoying the parks if you have never been before.
      ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Comment

Spelling quibble, its Bob Sehlinger

But to the post, I have never read the DL version but have used the WDW version in the past. I found it to be much more useful then Birnbaum's - more honest in many ways.

Touring Plans - Bob does acknowledge that the Park (whichever one) is best when you can enjoy it. You don't have to go commando. However, he does give you many options including commando for those who want to do that anyway. Saying that relaxing is best but also being helpful for those who want to rush is not a contradiction; it is providing options so a person can make up their own mind.

Inaccurate Info - He used to have an e-mail address in the back of his book and he is very responsive to corrections.

Descriptions - Some might not have been touched in 10 years because not much has changed in 10 years. But again, if you see something that is now inaccurate, contact him. He used to have a team that went to the Parks to help him keep edits up to date; not sure if that is still true.

When I went to WDW in 2002 I used the book and found it helpful. Gave me good ideas about the rides. It was 10 years before that since I was last at WDW so it helped me. I guess that is the thing about these books; many different types to appeal to many different people.

RU

Be sure to visit my site!

Comment

Maybe I am just too picky...

Comment

Wow sounds neat....
            :crazylegs

Comment

I prefer the For Dummies books too...they arent TOO in depth, but they are in depth enough!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X