Bring the people mover back with NO MOVIE THEME!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mtsplash
    Drunk On Disney!
    • Dec 2006

Bring the people mover back with NO MOVIE THEME!

I hate to start another "bring the people mover back thread" But I have ben thinking of how they mite bring it back with an incredibles or robinsons theme, But I say just bring it back with nothing related to any movie!
    Click here for most recent TR with night shots of Tomorrowland! (WDW)

WDW Photo update <Hidden Mickeys - Details - and SM with the lights on>

• MattUSA
    New MiceChatter
    • Apr 2007

Re: Bring the people mover back with NO MOVIE THEME!

I agree - no movie theme, but the problem with that is that people are ignorant and sometimes like to stay that way, so there will be people who say "What movie is that from?" or "What does that have to do with anything!?" not realizing it's old-school Disneyland and was there before they were even born (mostly)...

Comment

• SCUBAbe
      no flash photography...
      • Jan 2005

they had tron in the original; one and from my vague memories of the people mover, it never had a line and we only went on it to rest. So, maybe a movie theme would draw more people to it.

Comment

• MattUSA
        New MiceChatter
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
        they had tron in the original; one and from my vague memories of the people mover, it never had a line and we only went on it to rest. So, maybe a movie theme would draw more people to it.
        If they brought it back with the Tron theme, that might be OK, people would still be like "WTF?" but you could just say "That's the ORIGINAL movie it's themed from!" and usually if it's a "rest" type thing it doesn't matter too much...

Comment

• JeffYardDog
          MiceChatter
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Mtsplash View Post
          I hate to start another "bring the people mover back thread" But I have ben thinking of how they mite bring it back with an incredibles or robinsons theme, But I say just bring it back with nothing related to any movie!
          I think that Disney would consider that sacrilege and it would get any executive that proposed it excommunicated.

Comment

• yoyoflamingo
            How do you do?
            MiceChat Round-Up Crew
            • Jan 2005

Didn't the original not evne have the TRON?, since it was an 80's movie, and the Peoplemover was a product of the 60s renovation? Why not just bring it back with a new speed room. For fun, why not change that speed room (or tunnel, I haven't been on it, so I dpn't remember what Tron was in) and make it the old speed movie from the World of Motion at EPCOT? That would be a nice throwback, and it fits with the future of transportation.
            It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

• pineapplewhipaddict
              DoleWhipDrea
              • Apr 2005

yoyoflamingo is right...Tron was an add-on.

What everyone seems to be missing is, Disney can try to cram a movie down the old track's throat, but no matter what they do, they can't avoid the inevitable fact that that track's purpose is to take you on a tour of Tomorrowland. They can't just turn the whole thing into The Incredibles or Meet the Robinsons...sure, they can design the vehicles to be the same or reminiscint, but past that, there's not much else they can do. You have to go through Star Tours, Space Mountain, Innoventions, BLAB (plus all that air-time)...there's not really any room for them to place guests with a lot of elements from the movies. The extra thing they could do would be to have someone as your Tomorrowland tour guide.

If a movie is tied-in, it's not going to be overkill. It simply can't be done.

Comment

• KISSman
                Progressive Disneylander
                • Dec 2006

Personally, I don't think it's realistic to think that any former attraction will be brought back in it's original form. Whether there was a good reason or not, there still was a reason why the original attraction was closed down.

I LOVE the People Mover, but if it were to re-open in it's original form, I just don't think the masses would care that much about it's return. It would cost a lot of money to resurrect something that wouldn't get enough passengers or -- more importantly -- main gate turnout to justify it.

If Disney has to drop millions of dollars to bring back the mighty People Mover, it's going to have to be re-themed. Look at the turnout everyone is expecting for a resurrected and re-themed Sub ride! It makes the monetary investment worth it as long as it brings more bodies and more money into the park.

So, IMO, I see this issue as more of a two-option situation: A) Re-themed People Mover or B) None at all.

I'd rather have it back in some capacity than not at all.

Comment

• fo'c's'le swab
                  Blind to His Own Faults
                  • Dec 2006

Re-theming the PeopleMover is a "square-peg, round-hole" scenario. The PM's sole purpose is a futuristic scenic tour of Tomorrowland, at a leisurely pace. Since this system of transportation is still unique, and has not been incorporated into mainstream present day city-planning, I believe it still can be considered "futuristic", and has nothing standing in its way, thematically, from returning to service in it's original form sans any ill-fitted movie tie-ins.

Comment

• SoCal
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jan 2005

I just want the darn thing back

Comment

• Lore
                      Animatronic
                      • Mar 2005

Wait a minute, not themed to a movie?? Are guests paying to have unique experiences or are they paying to see low budget comercials for the latest Disney flop? Wouldn't a "Bambie 6 - Rap Master Thumper" tie-in with plywood cutouts work really well? What about Toy Story? It's good for at least a hundred more tie-ins! No movie tie-in? Next you'll be saying Disney can't label their shallow and lame ideas "for children" for a quick green light.

Comment

• VeganPrincess
                        Defying gravity
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Lore View Post
                        Wait a minute, not themed to a movie?? Are guests paying to have unique experiences or are they paying to see low budget comercials for the latest Disney flop? Wouldn't a "Bambie 6 - Rap Master Thumper" tie-in with plywood cutouts work really well? What about Toy Story? It's good for at least a hundred more tie-ins! No movie tie-in? Next you'll be saying Disney can't label their shallow and lame ideas "for children" for a quick green light.
                        :lmao:

Comment

• tahoebob54
                          Tom Chaney R.I. P.
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Lore View Post
                          "Bambie 6 - Rap Master Thumper"
                          When is one going to hit the theaters, or will this one be straight to DVD
                          THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

Comment

• Duffy
                            Mickey Mouse Slave
                            • Oct 2006

ARRRH, lets make a pirate invasion into tomorrowland... the pirates of the future in spaceships!

ARRRRRRG!
                            ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

Comment

• BigThunder
                              U. B. Bold
                              • Apr 2005

The People Mover should return in one form or another. Transportation systems of both the past and the future were a passion for Walt Disney and a scenic, above the crowds tour of Tomorrowland is sorely needed to help deal with current park congestion.

A great improvement over the original PM would be an additional stop, perhaps on the far side of the Sub lagoon near Fantasyland, to make it a true transportation system that actually takes you somewhere.

As for movie tie-ins, I agree with pineapplewhipaddict, they'd be hard to do on this attraction.
                              Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Comment

• filmfreak11
                                ...TWO BITS!
                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
                                they can't avoid the inevitable fact that that track's purpose is to take you on a tour of Tomorrowland. They can't just turn the whole thing into The Incredibles or Meet the Robinsons...sure, they can design the vehicles to be the same or reminiscint, but past that, there's not much else they can do. You have to go through Star Tours, Space Mountain, Innoventions, BLAB (plus all that air-time)...there's not really any room for them to place guests with a lot of elements from the movies. The extra thing they could do would be to have someone as your Tomorrowland tour guide.

If a movie is tied-in, it's not going to be overkill. It simply can't be done.
                                Exactly. I don't understand some people's suggestions of putting in full AAs around the tracks. Video monitors in the vehicles designed after MTR and probably video screens along the track of brief invention demonstrations or just a view into the MTR city (via similar video screens to EPCOT's Gran Fiesta) feels right. It really is and should be a tour of TL. But also possibly voiced by Tom Selleck or Nicole Sullivan or hosted by that robot character... er, sponsored by Robinson, Inc.

Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
                                Re-theming the PeopleMover is a "square-peg, round-hole" scenario. The PM's sole purpose is a futuristic scenic tour of Tomorrowland, at a leisurely pace. Since this system of transportation is still unique, and has not been incorporated into mainstream present day city-planning, I believe it still can be considered "futuristic", and has nothing standing in its way, thematically, from returning to service in it's original form sans any ill-fitted movie tie-ins.
                                Eh... I can sort of argue for some airports that transport you from one gate to another. And The Getty Museum in LA has a sort of PM from the parking lot to the museum... some places have monorails... it's getting there

Originally posted by Duffy View Post
                                ARRRH, lets make a pirate invasion into tomorrowland... the pirates of the future in spaceships!

ARRRRRRG!
                                That would be Treasure Planet's area
                                Last edited by filmfreak11; 04-08-2007, 12:46 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                                -Jurassic Park

Comment

• Disneyland Daddy
                                  ...is fading out....
                                  • Jul 2006

I would like something to return to the track in one form or another. But I agree - ideally, I think there should not have to be a movie linked up to it. There wasn't before and it was fine.

There were never long lines for the PeopleMover as I recall - and yet I always saw people on it. Maybe it was because it had a great capacity for loading people quickly????? Probably so.

I think it was one of the most unknowingly popular attractions in Disneyland - my personal opinion of course.

Comment

• lazyboy97O
                                    враг народа
                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
                                    Lines cannot be the means of justifying an attraction's drawing power. The PeopleMover had a huge capacity. The biggest block I see to the PeopleMover is propulsion. The PeopleMover track is gone. Either the Rocket Rods track must be utilized, or the capital has to be spent on redoing the track.

To claim that a tie in is needed has no real basis in the reality of Disneyland. The in park transportaion (Disneyland Railroad, Main Street Vehicles, Canoes) all still survive to this day. The PeopleMover is dismissed today because of the E-Ticket mentality that everything new must be an E-Ticket or it will never fly with the public.

Comment

• filmfreak11
                                      ...TWO BITS!
                                      • Sep 2005

^ Like how capacity does not justify attraction quality, so does profit does not alway justify a movie's quality.

Anyway, I remember someone saying the new Tomorrowlanding store could possibly make way for a PM queue. Possibly. Notice that store's sign looks similar to the MTR's "R" logo? Somewhat simliar.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                                      -Jurassic Park

Comment

• Coheteboy
                                        Starcruiser.. crash crash
                                        MiceChat Moderator
                                        • Sep 2005

The People Mover is great and offers something many rides don't: an aerial view of the park and a chance to sit down and relax without having your toes crushed by the crowds.

When People Mover was closed, capacity wasn't this problematic and fast pass certainly wasn't invented. I think People Mover would be even MORE welcome now than ever before.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X