• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DisneyMouse
    Don't lets be silly! �o�
    • Jun 2006

Question to Old, New, and Current CM

Question to Old, New, and Current CM

I've been thinking of leaving my current job and going to work for the mouse. I do understand that this would be a 75% pay cut, and most likely wouldn't have as good of benefits. I have a few friends who are currently working there, as well as a few who left just recently, and said it's something to try.

What I would like to know is how did/do you like working for the mouse? How are things set up? How much do they let you perform while working your job (do they really let perfrom/play to the level of Maynard)? Is it hard to move from Attractions, to Guest Services, to Entertainment (from department to department)? How hard is it to advance? Do many people make it out of the park, to the offices?

So really, any and all information from current and/or previous CM's would be most welcome. Please, no comments from the pennut gallary. Thank You. =)
  • SpokkerJones
    Banned User
    • Jan 2005

Re: Question to Old, New, and Current CM

You're having your mid-life crisis a little early don't you think?

Working in the parks is not a full-time job and Disney doesn't want it to be. It's a part-time gig for college kids. Unless you want to work in management I would rethink this grand scheme of yours.

Really, take whatever education you have and try to get into TDA if you really want a full-time job at Disneyland. If you don't have the right stuff then give up your job to go to school, not Disneyland.

Comment

• Wally
      Fastest Man Alive
      • Dec 2006

'Hopscotching' from department to department restarts your seniority when it comes to pay, and scheduling. You have to wait 6 months technically to do so, but really it depends on how desperate certain departments are for bodies. But really, what department are interested in working for? That could allow a more accurate response from here on the board.
      "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

• Nautilus
        Collision speed....FULL!
        • Jun 2006

I've got a question too. If you work in attractions, can you change the attraction you work?

Comment

• SpokkerJones
          Banned User
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Nautilus View Post
          I've got a question too. If you work in attractions, can you change the attraction you work?
          I think a computer tells you where to work now. How impersonal is that?

Comment

• Dollars
            Imagine If.
            • May 2007

Its nice to have money I suppose but its better to follow your dreams. If you have been wanting to do this for sometime, I say good luck and have fun. It is rare to find someone that does something so "drastic" to follow what they truely want. I salute you sir! :thumbup:

Comment

• Max Fischer
              That Guy
              • Apr 2005

I'm all for 'following your dreams' when it comes to opening a business, writing a book, or some great dream, but to throw away your livelihood for the chance to be a CM at DLR is borderline irresponsible.

The real question is, can you AFFORD to make this huge life change? It sounds romantic to work at DLR, but the reality is, it is a JOB. A sometimes cool job, but a job nonetheless.

You REALLY need to consider this, and I also second the idea to return to school. If you are dead set on working there, get some education, and go to TDA.

Comment

• Dan - Tasmic!
                Banned User
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Nautilus View Post
                It depends on seniority, preference, and how much the attraction needs people.

Comment

• Disco Duck
                  "Roast Duck"
                  • Jan 2005

If you already have a career...just stay with it, or try to get an upper management job at the resort, but if you wanted to work inside the park, let's say attractions, I wouldn't do it.

The only way I would ever consider working inside the park at an older age, is if I am retired and just want a fun job to pass the time. It will be a major pay cut...

Working attractions at Disneyland is fun for a season, but then there's just a time to move on...sometimes working there gets too repetitive and you feel unappreciated. So moving on might be a good thing...so you still have some love for the magical place that it is...
                  Went to a party the other night
                  All the ladies were treating me right
                  Moving my feet to the disco beat
                  How in the world could I keep my seat
                  All of a sudden I began to change
                  I was on the dance floor acting strange
                  Flapping my arms I began to cluck
                  Look at me..I'm the disco duck

"Do the Disco Duck!!!"

Comment

• DisneyMouse
                    Don't lets be silly! �o�
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Max Fischer View Post
                    ...borderline irresponsible.

The real question is, can you AFFORD to make this huge life change? It sounds romantic to work at DLR, but the reality is, it is a JOB. A sometimes cool job, but a job nonetheless.
                    In about two years, I'll be looking into joining the Peace Corps. I was thinking of taking in Disney for a year.

Comment

• Disney luv
                      Return to Oz
                      • Apr 2007

How about getting a summer part-time job to see if it's something you really want to do
                      So... what do you think?

Comment

• Coheteboy
                        Starcruiser.. crash crash
                        MiceChat Moderator
                        • Sep 2005

I really enjoyed my tenure at the park. Looking back, it was the easiest job I ever had and I could have done it a million times better than I did. Experience outside of Disneyland really does help one realize these things and what you'd want as a guest.

I've always told myself that when I retire, I'm going back to the mouse.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• kidpirate
                          MiceChatter
                          • Feb 2007

It all really depends on what you want to do. There are very very few in park jobs that make a decent wage and have regular hours. You just have to find them, or not mind the pay cut.

Either way, working for the mouse has always been an interesting experience for me!

Comment

• Max Fischer
                            That Guy
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by DisneyMouse View Post
                            In about two years, I'll be looking into joining the Peace Corps. I was thinking of taking in Disney for a year.

Fair enough, and really you only answer to yourself, so you only need to make yourself happy.

What is your master plan? What do you want out of life? It seems like you want to help people. Have you ever considered social work, or working for a non-profit?

Comment

• Duffy
                              Mickey Mouse Slave
                              • Oct 2006

but just saying you want to be a CM doesnt neccessary mean you WILL be a CM.

I would apply first, get in, then quit my current job. I remember the first tim i applied, i didnt get in, had to wait 6 months. Ended up going to Knotts Berry Farm :P

Yes, i agree, Working at Disneyland has made me happy and get away from the real world many many times. School, Network Admin for a pretty big webby, stresses me out tons of time. Work just makes me feel calm, fun, and happy. ^_^
                              ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

Comment

• UncleTom
                                Sock Puppet
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by SpokkerJones View Post
                                Working in the parks is not a full-time job and Disney doesn't want it to be. It's a part-time gig for college kids.
                                When he says Part-time, he actually means full-time. True story.
                                I LUV DIZNEELAN. YAY

Comment

• SorcererMickey
                                  WDW Fant! Premiere Cast
                                  • Nov 2006

I don't know if this is still in place but when I started working part time if you worked so many weeks in a row of 40+ hours you were automatically turned full time. That happened to me, right out of training I was given over 40 hours a week and I believe it was 13 weeks later the company had to change my status. In my department they only reviewed people twice a year for full time status.

I was able to work and support myself and a condo mortgage (in FL) on my Disney salary. It was something I would not have traded for the world!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X