This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skyway

Does anybody know why the Skyway was retired?

Re: Skyway

The Disneyland Skyway was removed in November 1994 because it was too costly to make safety upgrades. Also, people would throw objects and spit off the buckets as they went overhead.

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

Comment

The Skyway was expensive to maintain and had a low hourly capacity. Also the 35-year-old inner mechanisms were getting old and were in need of extensive replacement by the time 1994 rolled around. Instead of salvaging it, the Skyway was scrapped, and the funding went to Indy instead.

Interesting to note that the Skyway's justification for closure is almost identical to that of the Submarine Voyage.

Comment

i know it may not be possible but is there any way they can bring it back

Comment

Except Nothing Was Made To replace the Subs Like Indy!

Also, one man jumped out and landed on the only tree on the route and claimed to have fell out and sued....

but honestly, it really sint up to disney standards......and it just isnt practical, not safe enough, people are stupid and want money.....and CMs hated it! You had one second to pull them off the ride, throw the cart to loading and load the person

TO much mual labor and work, everythings automatic now and doesnt depend on people being fast or slow
          5 days a week

Comment

Because without the D-tickets they used to collect from every rider Disney couldn't justify the cost of keeping it.

Pay One Price has a Price!
            Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

They couldn't figure out a way to put pirates on it.

okerry

Comment

why didnt they just make it run slower? anyone would enjoy a slower view of disneyland and relaxation unless they mostly used the skyway for travel from tomorrowland to fantasyland.

Comment

It's worth noting that almost every amusement park used to have a Skyway, and almost none of them do anymore. They all closed at around the same time, probably for mostly the same reasons.
                  -SilentDante
                  eliselzer.blogspot.com

Comment

Maybe a new strategy must be employed: create attractions that are as dangerous as possible. I posted awhile back my plans for the new and improved (but deadly) PeopleMover to glide above TL:

and its new loading system:

Also, the Skyway:

and its Guest Loading:

Is safety really that important? I mean, it's not like theme is being violated or anything...

Comment

Originally posted by sleepyjeff View Post
                      Because without the D-tickets they used to collect from every rider Disney couldn't justify the cost of keeping it.

Pay One Price has a Price!
                      Amen, this is so often overlooked
                      VISIT my sketchblog: M54

Comment

I dropped a lollipop on someone's head once. It was an accident but still things thrown over the side could be dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
                          Maybe a new strategy must be employed: create attractions that are as dangerous as possible. I posted awhile back my plans for the new and improved (but deadly) PeopleMover to glide above TL:

and its new loading system:

Also, the Skyway:

and its Guest Loading:

Is safety really that important? I mean, it's not like theme is being violated or anything...
                          Hey! That new Skyway picture you show looks like the Skyway they have on Rollercoaster Tycoon!!!
                          http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
                          www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
                          http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

Comment

I heard it was because it wasn't wheelchair accessible and in order to make it wheelchair accessible it would have cost a fortune.

also it was the victim of another one of paul presslers cost cutting ideas, same reason why they closed the subs. Too much money to maintain and it required alot of CM's. Close the ride and save money.
                            sigpic

Comment

Doesn't SeaWorld still have Sky Buckets? I know you have to pay to ride them, but if those can pass safety standards than I'm sure Disney Could pass Safety Standards...

Didn't someone attempt to jump out of a Skyway bucket back in the day and fall into a tree or something? I remember hearing something like a failed suicide attempt.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X