This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel Advice

I need to tap the extensive knowledge base of all you hotel savvy MiceChatters.

I will be spending Christmas at Disneyland this year (December 19-26) and would like to know some of your opinions about the nearby hotels. I don't think I will be splurging this trip and staying at any of the park hotels but would prefer one that is close enough to the park that it is not unreasonable to walk. I have heard good things about The Howard Johnson and would love to hear any input on this hotel or any others!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Hotel Advice

Originally posted by LlamaLover View Post
    I need to tap the extensive knowledge base of all you hotel savvy MiceChatters.

I will be spending Christmas at Disneyland this year (December 19-26) and would like to know some of your opinions about the nearby hotels. I don't think I will be splurging this trip and staying at any of the park hotels but would prefer one that is close enough to the park that it is not unreasonable to walk. I have heard good things about The Howard Johnson and would love to hear any input on this hotel or any others!

Thanks in advance for your help!

I love the hotels along Harbor Blvd. near the crosswalk- shorter walk than staying on property (except for the GC). The rooms are not fancy, but they are clean and spacious and all have a frig and microwave. We're not usually in the hotel rooms much anyway so we aren't looking for anything fancy. I usually go with the cheapest rate.

I've stayed at the Best Western Park Place Inn, the Tropicana and the Carousel most recently, but have stayed in others as well. The Carousel definitely had a parking issue, but I've stayed there both with and without a car.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stitchlvr View Post
      I love the hotels along Harbor Blvd. near the crosswalk- shorter walk than staying on property (except for the GC). The rooms are not fancy, but they are clean and spacious and all have a frig and microwave. We're not usually in the hotel rooms much anyway so we aren't looking for anything fancy. I usually go with the cheapest rate.

I've stayed at the Best Western Park Place Inn, the Tropicana and the Carousel most recently, but have stayed in others as well. The Carousel definitely had a parking issue, but I've stayed there both with and without a car.
      Thanks stitchlvr, that is great news. Years ago I stayed at a few of the hotels along Harbor Blvd and I hate to admit it but one was a pretty big dive. I don't plan on spending much time in the room but would prefer the time that I do spend there is not shared with anything that has more legs than me! :lol:

Comment

I have also stayed at the following harbor hotels:

Best Western Park Place Inn
        Camelot Inn (same price and I like it a little better than BWPPI, the pool is on the 4th floor overlooking fireworks and the matterhorn!) plus their continental breakfast is a lot better.

They are both super clean, very short walking distance and have microwaves/refrigs. Thumbs up!

I don't know about HJ but unless the savings are significant I personally rather not walk the extra 5 mins at midnight :lol: but I have heard good things about them, and you won't be dragging tired kids so it might be OK for you

In Nov we are staying one of our nights at Tropicana which is owned by the same folks are Camelot so I feel pretty confident I'll be happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by G.I. Mom View Post

Camelot Inn (same price and I like it a little better than BWPPI, the pool is on the 4th floor overlooking fireworks and the matterhorn!) plus their continental breakfast is a lot better.

They are both super clean, very short walking distance and have microwaves/refrigs. Thumbs up!

I don't know about HJ but unless the savings are significant I personally rather not walk the extra 5 mins at midnight :lol: but I have heard good things about them, and you won't be dragging tired kids so it might be OK for you

In Nov we are staying one of our nights at Tropicana which is owned by the same folks are Camelot so I feel pretty confident I'll be happy with it.
          Awesome, thanks so much G.I. Mom for the input! The shorter walking distance the better since that is one more step I can save for inside the park but I was a bit wary since I had heard some nasty things about the hotels closest to the park. I will include these in my options as I start to price them all out.

Comment

Thanks stitchlvr, that is great news. Years ago I stayed at a few of the hotels along Harbor Blvd and I hate to admit it but one was a pretty big dive. I don't plan on spending much time in the room but would prefer the time that I do spend there is not shared with anything that has more legs than me! :lol:

I don't tolerate bugs either or filthy rooms. I have had some of those experiences, but I don't stay there again. The names I gave you were all clean and no bugs. I've stayed at all three within the last year and a half.
            sigpic

Comment

I don't tolerate bugs either or filthy rooms. I have had some of those experiences, but I don't stay there again. The names I gave you were all clean and no bugs. I've stayed at all three within the last year and a half.
              :thumbup: Right on! Like you said, the time spent in the room is minimal so I just want the basics anyway. I am hoping I am booking in time that they are not all filled up for the holidays yet.

Comment

Originally posted by G.I. Mom View Post

I know, I know- I have to try the Camelot one of these days, but they're never the cheapest or don't have rooms availible when I schedule my trips.

I won't stay at HoJo's for the same reason. I don't want any more walking added in to the miles we walk around DL in a day.

I stayed at the Tropicana in February for the first time and really liked it.
                sigpic

Comment

:thumbup: Right on! Like you said, the time spent in the room is minimal so I just want the basics anyway. I am hoping I am booking in time that they are not all filled up for the holidays yet.

You should be able to find something at one of them for a decent price.
                  sigpic

Comment

You should be able to find something at one of them for a decent price.
                    That is what I am hoping. I am going to price some of them out later today after I compile my list of options.

Thanks again for the input, it will make the research a ton easier!

Comment

I've never seen this hotel mentioned here, but I've stayed at the Anaheim Plaza Hotel for three of my vacations, and I liked it. The rooms aren't great or anything, but it's right across from California Adventure, and only about a five-minute walk to the pedestrian entrance. And I'll be staying there again for 60/night in a couple weeks, so it's definitely cheaper than when I've stayed at Carousel or Tropicana, which are right across the street from the entrance, but are lots more expensive.

I really stay at Disneyland the whole time it's opened, so hotels aren't that big a deal to me. I just go for proximity to Disneyland, cost, and that it's decent.
                      Maggie doesn't get along with the other babies . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Laughin'Place View Post
                        I've never seen this hotel mentioned here, but I've stayed at the Anaheim Plaza Hotel for three of my vacations, and I liked it. The rooms aren't great or anything, but it's right across from California Adventure, and only about a five-minute walk to the pedestrian entrance. And I'll be staying there again for 60/night in a couple weeks, so it's definitely cheaper than when I've stayed at Carousel or Tropicana, which are right across the street from the entrance, but are lots more expensive.

I really stay at Disneyland the whole time it's opened, so hotels aren't that big a deal to me. I just go for proximity to Disneyland, cost, and that it's decent.
                        Thanks Laughin'Place, this is a hotel I had missed when I have been looking through my options. Low price and close to the park are a must so this sounds like it could be a finalist for me!

Comment

For NON-onproperty my peeps prefer:

1. Marriott (some rooms face the park for excellent fireworks viewing!)
                          2. Howard Johnsons

We've tried a few a little further away, and tho they were nice, we prefer the location of these two. Marriott being our fave -- usually score a room for around $109/nt out the door.
                          Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Comment

We just returned from DLR on Aug 5th and stayed for a week at the Desert Inn and Suites. It was clean and has viewing area on the top floor of the fireworks. It is only about 150'-200' south of the main crosswalk over to Disney so we walked every day. They have a small indoor pool with hot tub and a small continental breakfast from 7:30am-9:30am every day. IHOP and several other restaurants are next door or close for walking. I would recommend it and stay there again.

Comment

For cheap and close, we've liked the Carousel or the Park Vue next door. For a little more money and a lot more comfort, try the Sheraton on Ball Rd., the one that looks like a castle. Best beds ever. They had a great breakfast buffet and shuttle service.
                              Last edited by SusieP.; 08-14-2007, 12:25 PM.
                              A signature should go here.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X