Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

    I wasnt around in the 50's, heck my Mother was born in 54 so the retro feel that Disneyland has, and used to have more of, did not appeal to me because of fond childhood memories. But nonetheless I found the nostalgia and old feel of the park so cool. The retro sound of the announcers voice on rides for one, and many other things that took me to another time period was and is a major reason I love Disneyland. I wonder if this nostalgia is what makes Disneyland such a popular place for all ages?

    "Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein
    sigpic

  • #2
    Re: Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

    My mom was also born in 1954.

    I definitely feel that for my family, our love of Disneyland is a love for all things retro and mid-century idealism.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

      Originally posted by Diznyfan View Post
      I wasnt around in the 50's, heck my Mother was born in 54 so the retro feel that Disneyland has, and used to have more of, did not appeal to me because of fond childhood memories. But nonetheless I found the nostalgia and old feel of the park so cool. The retro sound of the announcers voice on rides for one, and many other things that took me to another time period was and is a major reason I love Disneyland. I wonder if this nostalgia is what makes Disneyland such a popular place for all ages?
      For me absolutely. For younger people, not so much. But remember in 30 years, our Adventure thru Inner Space will be their SuperStar Limo. :roll:

      Chad

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

        The older you get, the more you understand and have an appreciation of history, and want things to stay the same for those you love as well.

        But as a kid, I still loved Disneyland and obsessed about going all the time. So mmm yes and no about your question. Nostalgia isn't the only thing that keeps Disneyland popular, but it plays a big part of what keeps me young at heart... and many others as well.


        Visit my mice chat toy shop!
        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

        Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

          Originally posted by aashee View Post
          For me absolutely. For younger people, not so much. But remember in 30 years, our Adventure thru Inner Space will be their SuperStar Limo. :roll:

          Chad
          Oh come on, at least give us Pooh.

          I never really noticed it until about the beginning of the year. When you open your eyes and see it, it makes Disneyland a whole new experience.
          -Jack :geek:
          Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

            Originally posted by hollywood1939 View Post
            Oh come on, at least give us Pooh.

            I never really noticed it until about the beginning of the year. When you open your eyes and see it, it makes Disneyland a whole new experience.
            Great point Jack. It will click much earlier for my daughter because I innundate her with history and old stories. She get's the same from my dad who tells her about the Flying Saucers and getting kicked out of the park. My Dad, oh he's a handful, was then-still is.

            I got that feeling you are talking about close to 10 years ago. I came more from the movies and music of Disneyland. It's hard to explain, but once it clicks you see things completely different almost like a haze of happiness.

            For those of you who have not felt that feeling yet, I wish it upon everyone of you. You'll thank me for it at one of the meets down the road.

            Chad

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

              It was me, not my mother, that was born in the 50's...1956, to be exact. So I have memories going back to the first visit I can remember, circa 1960...cemented, of course, by my nearly eight years of employment there.

              So as I've said before, having seen the "great lady" from all sides, inside and out, all the magic and the ever-present iron fist inside Mickey's white glove, it all just makes me love her all the more - a love that continues to stand the test of time and change.

              That is my best way to describe it. Hope you understand.

              --Barry
              God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

                Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
                It was me, not my mother, that was born in the 50's...1956, to be exact. So I have memories going back to the first visit I can remember, circa 1960...cemented, of course, by my nearly eight years of employment there.

                So as I've said before, having seen the "great lady" from all sides, inside and out, all the magic and the ever-present iron fist inside Mickey's white glove, it all just makes me love her all the more - a love that continues to stand the test of time and change.

                That is my best way to describe it. Hope you understand.

                --Barry
                Barry,

                Nostalgia is one of those things that is so tough to explain. You did a great job of doing so.

                Thank you.

                Chad

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

                  I admire Disneyland because of its history. Sometimes when I see those sixties photo's of Disneyland it makes me wanna go back in time to live that experience.
                  :thumbup: I'm back MiceChat:yea:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

                    I can't remember

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

                      Too bad I don't know what nostalgia means
                      "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

                      http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude



                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

                        Originally posted by painted windows View Post
                        I admire Disneyland because of its history. Sometimes when I see those sixties photo's of Disneyland it makes me wanna go back in time to live that experience.
                        I know what you mean. I always wonder what it was like when the mine train ride ran through frontierland and Walt was walking through the park. But when I visit DL I feel like I am stepping back in time, I hope they never lose that mid-century ambiance, nowadays its like having the best of both worlds because you get the modern technology too.

                        "Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
                        -Albert Einstein
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

                          I didn't have the pleasure of visiting Disneyland in its earlier days--in fact, all my visits have happened in this decade and the last. But just in that relatively short amount of time, visiting once every couple of years, I've developed enough memories to be nostalgic about for a lifetime. If I had been visiting the park for longer, as many of you have, I'm sure that feeling would be intensified.

                          I think nostalgia plays a huge role in Disneyland's success. But nostalgia for the park can't win over a first-time visitor, since they have no Disneyland memories to feel nostalgic for, and nostalgia for the locales recreated can't account for the huge success of the park either, since Disneyland as a whole has moved away from celebrating 19th- and early-20th-century America a little. A big part of Disneyland's success is simply the fact that it's a quality product that doesn't cut corners, featuring a new variety of slow and fast rides, all with immersive theming that appeals to a wide variety of interests and age groups. It doesn't feel like a cheap kids' park, it doesn't feel like a family-friendly Vegas (:yuck, it doesn't feel like a thrill-based amusement park with some kiddy rides thrown in...it feels like a home for the whole family, with a little bit for everyone.

                          Once the first-time visitor feels all of this, nostalgia takes care of bringing him/her back time after time.

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

                              Originally posted by DisneyDude2006 View Post
                              Too bad I don't know what nostalgia means
                              (I take it your being sarcastic) Ok Webster, I think most people know what I mean. A person can be nostalgic of times and places they have never been. If a person longs for a period of time like the 1950's because they percieve it as better, even if that person was not even born yet, this is nostalgia. The modern definition has a much broader meaning. In the past nostalgia was a condition that described an unhealthy yearning for family or homesickness. This sometimes resulted in soldiers being discharged from service in 19th century wars.


                              (n-stlj, n-)
                              n.
                              1. A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.
                              Last edited by Diznyfan; 08-16-2007, 02:03 PM.

                              "Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
                              -Albert Einstein
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X