This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasn't Redd Rocket's a dumb idea?

Redd Rocket's Pizza Port is one of the better places to eat at Disneyland when I am sick of burgers. I really like the food. But wasn't it a dumb idea to remove an attraction (however dated) and replace it with a restaurant when there was already a closed restaurant and kitchen about 100 yards away : The Space Place. Why didn't they just remodel that old restaurant that opened with Space Mountain in the 70's and use the old Mission to Mars building for another attraction? There were just some bad ideas for TL '98. What a waste of money.

San Soo Justin

Re: Wasn't Redd Rocket's a dumb idea?

I think most everyone, including many Disneyland executives, will agree that Tomorrowland 98 was a catastophic waste of money.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

Comment

They made worse decisions for Tommorowland '98, but yes, it was stupid in many ways. At least they have good food and it holds people well.

Comment

at least they didn't waste more money paying Pixar for usage of PIZZA PLANET.
        "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Well...

By the time Redd Rocket's was built, the building had been empty 6 years (Mission to Mars closed permanently in November 1992), so it wasn't an awesome idea, but more a space filler so they wouldn't have to budget a new attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by ALIASd
            at least they didn't waste more money paying Pixar for usage of PIZZA PLANET.
            awwww...i always thought it should've been called pizza planet. although toy story might not have been out at the time. (i'm too lazy to look it up right now.) "redd rockett's pizza port" just seems weird to me. who is this redd rockett anyway? an acquaintance of rocket rod? )

but anyhooo, worse than the name is the location indeed. it should've been re-imagineered into another attraction & the restaurant should have gone where the other one used to be.
            <o>

Comment

I like Redd Rocket's.. It's a nice change from the typical burgers you can get just about everywhere else. Of course, it's sad they did not put in a new attraction in there, but at least it's a good place to eat and even seems to have decent prices. I love the chicken fussili!! :thumbup:

Comment

Redd Rocket is an intergalatic pizza chain mogul. When he heard about Tomorrowland in Disneyland, he decided that it would be the perfect place to build his first Pizza Port on Earth. That way, Disneyland could be the Happiest Place in the Universe, and his restaurant would be there! So he made an agreement to open that first Earth restaurant right in Tomorrowland, because it would be the perfect place for everyone to meet up. A sort of intergalatic-crossroads-slash-quick-service-restaurant.

I **** you not. I can not make this stuff up. I'm sure it's an idea leftover from the Tomorrowland 2055 idea.
                Member of the Disney Class of 2005
                Disneyland CM for 4 years.
                May 6, 2005 - present.

Comment

As long as they continue to offer the Chicken Fussili somewhere in The Park, I couldn't care less what they do with Redd's.

I never thought about it before, but it does seem odd that they would put a restaurant there. But then again, Pressler and Harris weren't really interested in Attractions, so I guess that makes sense.
                  "George Bush... is only for now."
                  Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind! :cwink:

Comment

There are a lot of dumb ideas... To use Mission to Mars as a Resaurant is just one of many dumb ideas... But I do agree that there did need to be a better restaurant on that side of the park...

Still they got rid of Space Mist... And the food vending at the Tomorrowland Terrace was not really footing the bill... It is still closed half the time...
                    Check out my other blog:

Comment

Having had worked in restaurants in the Park before, I rather like the idea of being able to see my food being prepared. The accountability is a nice touch, if one desires to eat in the Park.

In terms of the name, from what I understand, right after the release of Toy Story, the name "Pizza Port" was snatched up by a pizzeria and copyrighted. Because of the legality and cost issues involved in trying to fight that, the name "Redd Rocket's Pizza Port" was chosen.

Comment

EVERY Eisner/Pressler idea was a turdfest.

I do like the pizza port however as it is nice to get pasta/pizza as opposed to the $7 mystery meat Burger.
                        -----------------------------------------------
                        DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

I think having a restaurant in where a major attraction could be housed is a dumb idea. In my opinion, Redd Rocket's is a great place to eat if you don't want the regular Disneyland burgers, but the space could be used for a better purpose. I suggest cutting the size of the Star Trader in half, and move Redd's into the other half. Then in the current location of Redd Rocket's could be used for a new attraction- possibly Mission: Space.

Comment

Originally posted by cellarhound
                            Still they got rid of Space Mist...
                            Space Mist! I wish they would bring that back.

Redd Rocket's has the freshest food at the park - I think it's great! As far as using the location for another attraction - that may have been a better idea.

Comment

Originally posted by DDote77
                              Having had worked in restaurants in the Park before, I rather like the idea of being able to see my food being prepared. The accountability is a nice touch, if one desires to eat in the Park.

In terms of the name, from what I understand, right after the release of Toy Story, the name "Pizza Port" was snatched up by a pizzeria and copyrighted. Because of the legality and cost issues involved in trying to fight that, the name "Redd Rocket's Pizza Port" was chosen.
                              Maybe Pizza Port was taken, but Pizza Planet certainly wasn't. Disney has the copyright to that, and you can find a Pizza Planet at MGM...I actually think it would be ideal to get rid of Redd Rockets, put an attraction there, and blend it and Starcade into Pizza Planet, which is an arcade with the same fare as Redd Rocket's. It seems pretty ideal, especially with the 2nd floor of the Starcade not really in use.
                              -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
                              I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X