This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing the Keel Boats

Ok so now I feel old. I realize that a lot of individuals on here probably never had the chance to ride these beloved derelicts. The Keel Boats were the Big River's equivalent to the Jungle Cruise. With the right captain these little floaters were HYSTERICAL. They offered a more personal view and interpretation of the Big River without the sweat of paddling or the sound of an automated voice. It really brought that "country" feeling to Critter Country. While still maintaining a Frontierland feel for the other side of the river! It was themed around Davy Crockett and Mike Fink... really they need these back. The reason they were closed was because of an accident when one was severely overloaded. With today's DOSH standards I'm sure they can be brought back. Here's a couple pics for those who don't remember.

May 17,1997 5:30 p.m.--The Gullywhumper (Keel Boat) loaded with 49 guests (normal maximum capacity is 32) began rocking from side to side while on a routine trip around the island. The Gullywhumper tipped over, dunking a boatload of guests into the Rivers of America. Several guests were treated for minor injuries at St. Joseph Hospital in Orange. Following the accident, the Gullywhumper was removed from the water for inspection.

Pictures provided by http://davelandweb.com/riversofamerica/#keelboats
    Report provided by http://www.simpletoremember.com/vita...Disneyland.htm
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Re: Missing the Keel Boats

Yeah right...look at that kid sitting on the front of the Keel Boat, no way woud the Disney lawyers EVER allow that again. I crawled around in them and took some pictures when they were placed behind Indy.
    :sc:-"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food.":sc:

Comment

My mom didn't know they were gone til this year. Shows how long she's not been to the park--and, by how torn up about it she was, her age
      I went on them all of once and I don't remember it. The dock is still there, I think. Which is totally saddening to those of us that don't remember the ride
      dreams. come. true.

Comment

I'm a Disney Old Timer too. I was around to see the Keel Boats but never rode them. Very disappointing now.

Chad

Comment

The Keel Boats were the only DL ride that freaked me out. I was sure it was going to tip over the way it rocked from side to side.

Comment

i remember riding them when when i was in jr high and high school in the 80s, they just seemed so much cooler back then than the Mark Twain or Columbia was
            Will there be screams when the sun sets,
            -=Is It October Yet?=-

Originally posted by Tinkermonkey
            elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
            Originally posted by pratt55
            Elly is adorkable.

Comment

Originally posted by BellhopPrincess View Post
              My mom didn't know they were gone til this year. Shows how long she's not been to the park--and, by how torn up about it she was, her age
              I went on them all of once and I don't remember it. The dock is still there, I think. Which is totally saddening to those of us that don't remember the ride

I think the dock is still there, but sometime between May and July (my last trips) they closed it off.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessY View Post
                The Keel Boats were the only DL ride that freaked me out. I was sure it was going to tip over the way it rocked from side to side.
                The lawyers probably decided it had too much potential to be a keeler ride

Comment

I also remember them but never rode them.

Comment

Since boating is our passion, we rode the Keel Boats every chance that we got.

Thankfully, we have some pics of "the good ol' days".

Sadly though, our two youngest kids never got to ride them.

The Keel Boats were cool!

Comment

hmm, i don't remember these at all, other then the one being stationary on the river.

Comment

My husband is still torn up about the Keel Boats, naturally his favorite three things at DL: Keel Boats, Jungle Ride and The Golden Horshoe Revue, do you see a trend here?!

Comment

I miss the Keel Boats far more than the Peoplemover.
                          "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

Originally posted by nemopoppins View Post
                            I think the dock is still there, but sometime between May and July (my last trips) they closed it off.
                            The dock is the smoking area, no?

Anyway, there was an article not that long ago in Yesterland about the guy who bought the other keelboat including a great picture of the watercraft itself.
                            The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

The one that sits in the river now is full of water and actually sits on the bottom. It can't really float anymore.

Sad day...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X