Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Can the Main Entry Plaza Help Integrate the Two Parks Better?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Can the Main Entry Plaza Help Integrate the Two Parks Better?

Considering that the previous discussion about Main Street, U.S.A. (http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...t_u-81826.html) was moved to the "Litter Box" after certain participants started insulting others, hopefully, the respondents to this question will remain on topic, as much as possible.

In Imagineering's attempts to unify and integrate the resort into a cohesive whole, the second gate will soon be making a variety of changes. But, the recent announcement did not reveal whether or not much, if anything, will be done to the piazza that separates both parks.

Obviously, this space is among the most important to the entire resort, so what, if anything, do you believe may need to be done to this central part of the Outer Lobby in order to clearly convey the relationships between the two parks to guests?

Re: How Can the Main Entry Plaza Help Integrate the Two Parks Better?

I'm not sure what could be done. I think they are integrated fine.

Comment

Well, one of the simplest solutions that can be implemented in a matter of weeks and for very little cost is to create for the light standards in the Main Entry Plaza vinyl banners that feature pictures of Walt Disney.

When one is facing Disney's California Adventure, the banners could form a collage of photographs that show Disney, next to film cameras, for instance, after 1923 and in California. And, when one is facing Disneyland, the photographs might show Walt Disney after 1955 and inside The Magic Kingdom, itself.

A few of the more famous images that come to my mind are the one that shows him delivering the dedication speech in Town Square and the one that shows him walking through Sleeping Beauty Castle by himself.

Changing the banners would be an especially good stopgap measure during this transitional period.
      Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 11-01-2007, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Since they are two separate parks, I'm not concerned that they necessarily need to "Integrate" or pay homage to each other. However, I would like to see the esplanade area between the two parks spruced up to present a better prelude to the "first act" for arriving guests, regardless of which park they will be attending. A sort of lovely buffer between the themes of the two parks - rather than the ugly expanse of stepping stones as it is now.
        MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
          Since they are two separate parks, I'm not concerned that they necessarily need to "Integrate" or pay homage to each other. However, I would like to see the esplanade area between the two parks spruced up to present a better prelude to the "first act" for arriving guests, regardless of which park they will be attending. A sort of lovely buffer between the themes of the two parks - rather than the ugly expanse of stepping stones as it is now.

this.....

I don't want to see a merge or blending of the two parks....
          All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Comment

As with the changing Main St thread that took way too long to be moved to its rightful place, the esplanade does not have to be changed just to integrate the two Parks any further than to allow folks to get from one Park to the other.

Which it already does...

Comment

I would like to see the esplanade area between the two parks spruced up to present a better prelude to the "first act" for arriving guests, regardless of which park they will be attending. A sort of lovely buffer between the themes of the two parks - rather than the ugly expanse of stepping stones as it is now.
              I agree, although I'm not adverse to the area using signage or images to tell us a little history about the two parks.

Comment

Not for real, but it would be a bit funny to make the Esplanade as magic-less as possible so you were more overwhelmed when you walked into Disneyland. Take the newsstand, for instance; Walt wanted the front half to sell real papers to the real world, but the inside-the-gate half to sell souvenirs, I sometimes feel like that contrast has been lost.
                "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

Comment

Originally posted by RumRunner31 View Post
                  Not for real, but it would be a bit funny to make the Esplanade as magic-less as possible so you were more overwhelmed when you walked into Disneyland. Take the newsstand, for instance; Walt wanted the front half to sell real papers to the real world, but the inside-the-gate half to sell souvenirs, I sometimes feel like that contrast has been lost.
                  You're quite right. The sense of contemporary reality is not as pronounced, now.
                  Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 11-02-2007, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                    Your quite right. The sense of contemporary reality is not as pronounced, now.
                    Maybe a grafitti-covered 7-11 and a strip joint could be added?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                      Maybe a grafitti-covered 7-11 and a strip joint could be added?

That's silly. I put them in downtown Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by RumRunner31 View Post
                        I actually agree with this. As your sig line states: John Hench liked it better as a parking lot. The old parking lot was about as un-magical a place as you could get, but it did act as a great prelude to the park and a great way to build anticipation for the magic to come. In those days the Main Street Station acted much more effectively as the first 'weenie' drawing guests into the park. With the addition of DCA and the Esplanade it no longer serves that function.

Perhaps What is needed now is some sort of 'weenie' in the Esplanade to draw guests in from Downtown Disney. A large fountain of some kind might do the trick.
                        Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Comment

When I was a little kid, I wanted elaborate gardens outside the entrance because flowers, trees, and other plants can be perceived as being either contemporary or timeless. So, when I first learned that Downtown Disney was going to be made into a larger-than-life garden, I was excited by the prospect. Unfortunately, the end result was mostly disappointing.

Downtown Disney and the rest of the 2001 expansion don't really provide a very good preamble to Disneyland, itself.
                          Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 11-01-2007, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Here are two very different 'blue sky' ideas for beginning the story at the Esplanade:

1) Metaphorical: A magical fountain that represents the wellspring of imagination and creativity. Waters could dance and sway to music from the Disney classics while interpretive plaques define for guests the unfolding stories of Disneyland and DCA. The entire thing could be set at the heart of a giant compass rose built into the pavers and landscaping.

2) Literal: A recreation of Walt Disney's boyhood home. A simple Kansas farmhouse that would act as an interpretive center and jumping off point for both parks. Though the architecture would be underwhelming, its very incongruity smack in the center of the busy Esplanade would make it an effective weenie, and it would quite literally begin the story at the beginning.
                            Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Comment

I agree.

And I think this is a better question than "What should change on Main Street USA." I think the answer to that was NOTHING.

Now, those who "like the pavers just fine" are just DoMs.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X