This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting in line for rides, meeting people

I'm a fairly shy person around strangers, but as I get older I become more and more brave. We've (as a family) shared in a conversation or two in lines waiting for the rides at DL but that has been the exception, rather than the rule. I want to change that my next visit. I figure, about 80% of the time in the park is spent in line. But my concern is some people may not want to engage in conversation, (e.g. "Where are you from, have you been to DL before?" etc.) The few conversation were very interesting. It made the time at the park a lot more special. Now, some of the experiences on some of the rides has been very fun as well. Some notables ones especially on the Grizzly River ride. In fact a couple of girls had so much fun with my son (then just shy of age 6) they asked if we would take a picture of them with him after the ride. That was very cool!!!

So I'd live to hear about your stories from lines or rides. I bet there are some great ones out there!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Re: Waiting in line for rides, meeting people

I frequently visit the Park by myself and enjoy talking to people at the Parks (or anywhere, for that matter). If someone doesn't respond, I just turn to someone else. Not everyone wants to share this way.
    Sometimes it starts with a question about if this is their first trip or where do they live. Sometimes I can offer information.
    At the Wine Cellar at the hotel, there are some people who visit year after year whom I have come to know.
    I also bring pennies to give to children for wishes.
    Meeting and interacting with others is one of the things I always enjoy.

Comment

The Wine Cellar at the DLH is an exceptional place to meet and chat up people. Chloe and Lori there are easily some of the best DLR CMs around. I've met many people there ranging from parents of PoD parade performers to WWII vets to cute meeting and convention attendees.

P.S. I was engaged into a impromptu marketing and menu suggestion meeting there a few nights back. They will begin new and more varied events there in the near future, think wine tastings and wine flights.
      "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

I generally talk to people everywhere at Disneyland. If I hear them asking questions, I'll tell them the answers IF I know (or I'll tell them I have a good idea, and to double-check go to a Cast Member). I sometimes end up riding alone, or am paired up with another person, so I talk to them... I was stuck on Splash Mountain one time with a family who talked to me. It was nice.

I'm a friendly person. ^^
        Code Lee-Oh-Co (Or Jessica, if you want)

Comment

I haven't chatted in lines a whole lot, though I did sit down next to a middle-aged couple in Tomorrowland a month or two ago. They asked me what I was holding; I told them it was a churro, and explained what they were when asked. I guess churros haven't hit it big up north...but anyway, we talked about the weather differences between here and their neck of the woods. It was pretty cool. Disneyland at its best encourages communication between people who'd normally never talk to each other.

Comment

I don't think I've ever chatted up strangers at DL. Usually I'm there with one or more people, and I conversate with my group rather than those around me.
            Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sunnygirl View Post
              I don't think I've ever chatted up strangers at DL. Usually I'm there with one or more people, and I conversate with my group rather than those around me.
              Yeah, as we are there as a family we talk amongst ourselves for sure, but being shy and uneasy around strangers, naturally I assume other a the same way.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

I don't often approach people to start line conversations (it's just not in my nature), but I will often chime in with helpful advice when I feel it's warranted. Also, FWIW, whenever someone in line talks to me (happens about once a trip), I'm always more than happy to chat them up. I've met some really nice and interesting folks in line. So, even though I'm not inclined to talk, it certainly doesn't bother me. I would hope that being in the happiest place on Earth would have that effect on others, as well, and no one would be rude if you tried to talk to them, but YMMV.
                -SilentDante
                eliselzer.blogspot.com

Comment

I usually tri to converse with people if I am by myself in the park. If they don't feel like talking... then so be it. I'm a very friendly person, but I was with a really obnoxious group on splash mountain one night, but I still had fun conversating with them.

I love talking and meeting new people. Makes they day alot better.

Comment

While in line for Splash Mountain a few years back, we started talking with a guy who was there alone in work dress attire. It turns out that he had some time after a meeting that he had flown in for, so he came to DL. He was a large tire salesman, like the ones for monster trucks. It was interesting to hear about his job in a very slow moving line.

Comment

I strike up conversations with people all the time while waiting in line. I'm just a social butterfly.

The people I usually talk to are from out of country or out of state and visiting DL for the first time. And it does make the line go smoother and faster.

Comment

Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
                        The Wine Cellar at the DLH is an exceptional place to meet and chat up people. Chloe and Lori there are easily some of the best DLR CMs around. I've met many people there ranging from parents of PoD parade performers to WWII vets to cute meeting and convention attendees.

P.S. I was engaged into a impromptu marketing and menu suggestion meeting there a few nights back. They will begin new and more varied events there in the near future, think wine tastings and wine flights.
                        Lori is terrific. I've known her since her now 16 year old daughter was born. Orlando told us a bit about the new things planned. I'd love to hear more. I did enjoy a wine tasting there once (Flora Springs, I believe). I'm not fond of all the private parties on Saturday nights. That's my usual night to hang out there.

Comment

My sister and I were paired up with a dad and his kid in a gondola on the Sun Wheel one time, and they were fun to talk to. They were from San Diego I believe and they told us what a good time they were having, and since we were over Midway Mania we got to point out to them what was going on.

We also often end up starting spontaneous conversation with families while waiting for the fireworks to pass the time.

Comment

I find it especially entertaining to talk to tourists at points..whatever little tip you give them, they start looking at you like you're Walt Disney or something. :lol:

Comment

I have talked to people in line on occasion, but my parents and I are really bad - the second we get in a long(ish) line, we all pull out a book and start reading! We're not doing it to be anti-social, we just like to read!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X