• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • techskip
    I Break Things
    • Jun 2007

Are the Promotions working?

The point of any promotion is to get people excited, generate publicity, and hopefully get individuals to purchase your product. In the case of Disneyland that "magic number" would be reflected mainly in Theme Park attendance, followed by souvenir sales. So I ask, all personal feelings aside, are the current promotions working? I know the park has been experiencing record attendance since the 50th, and the off seasons have either shrunk, or disappeared completely. September to mid November used to be DEAD... now they have the Halloween promotional to pick up the slack. January to May (excluding major Holidays, Spring Break, and the start of Summer ) used to be a ghost town... now they have YOMD. I'm not sure if this increase in attendance is due to increased international tourism (weak American dollar), increased local attendance (doubtful) or actual park promotions. So I thought I would ask everyone's opinion.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• mousechild
    Who Gave Rob an Avatar?
    • Oct 2007

Re: Are the Promotions working?

Well last year looked to be pretty good for them, if this year the crowd stays the same or increases modestly (say 5%) then Disney is going to think the moves are working. Much as we purists might decry the changes that have occurred for the average guest the park is working. The family that comes one time a year and drops a grand or two while staying at a Disney hotel probably don't have time to notice TL problems or how F! takes away from Frontierland, much less why... you get the idea.

And if some family from Iowa wins a night in the dream suite and they go home and tell their friends about it in some mangled fashion their friends might make the trip hoping to stay in the dream suite. (This works for Vegas)

So maybe YOAMD will work.
    Originally posted by SummerInFL
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Originally posted by Wanda Woman
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Comment

• sir clinksalot
      MiceChatter
      • Feb 2005

I think the "Seasonal" promotions are working better than YOAMD.

People are still VERY confused as to what YOAMD is. But they know what "Halloween" and "Christmas" is. And when they see that there is something new to behold during those times of the year, they want to go.

As far as the 2-fer, it's always successful. And I reckon we'll be seeing it in the years to come with all of the DCA construction going on.

Hopefully in 2011/2012 there won't need to be a "Free DCA day" to get people into the park.

Comment

• MollyTrolly
        Hiding in the shadows
        • Jan 2007

I don't think YOAMD is beinging anyone into the park. The last two years were still running on the coat tails of the 50th, and as Sir Clinks mentioned, the seasonal promotions and holiday events like the 2fer, Halloweentime, etc are the big draws.

In addition, I think bringing so many people in during the 50th actually had people taking notice at how inexpensive So Cal passes are and has boosted attendance there as well.
        I know at least 20 people that have gotten passes in the last two years that never had them previously.

YOAMD doesn't hurt anything, and at least its a message for their media aside from simply "come to Disneyland, its fun here". But I honestly don't believe anyone is attending specifically to win a "dream"

A little piece of heaven

Comment

• aashee
          Skeevy Ray Vaughan
          • Aug 2006

Disneyland is thriving despite a lackluster YOAMD promotion.

Comment

• pattimelt
            DLR Cast Member
            • Oct 2007

I honestly think the promotions are bringing in more people than the YOAMD. Right now, as a Ticket Seller, I can tell you that I have no less than 5 different promotions running at this time--everything from the Wildfire hero salute to the band salute, to both versions of the 2 fer, to a special card that got mailed out to certain households for discounted admission to the parks from Monday to Thursday, and I know I'm missing one more, but I don't have my paperwork here from training on all of them.

I know these are pulling in guests that normally would not be coming to the parks, because I see the guests every day that are clueless about the parks and they want all the info. New guests=more people in the park to spend their money on toys, snacks, etc.

It seemed to me that more of the guests were WAITING for the 2fer to start this year--we started getting calls the week BEFORE Christmas as to whether we were having this promotion, and I had no information as to when it was going to happen, but I knew it was going to. A lot of guests that were coming to the park in January, I told them to wait and buy tickets after the new year because of the promotions, and they would save money. Right now, for a 2 day park hopper, if you're so cal, you get it for $91 instead of $132. That right there saves you $40. And what are you going to do with that $40?? Spend it in the park--where Disney makes more money on toys, snacks, and all the other stuff.

Comment

• fo'c's'le swab
              Blind to His Own Faults
              • Dec 2006

Maybe, however we are overlooking the obvious: that YOAMD might possibly not be designed to bring them in, but offering incentive to keep them coming back more frequently than they might otherwise. Or, possibly was designed merely as a PR move to appeal to a family fan base that may have been taken for granted in recent years (you'll notice in most commercials it is a child or family who 'wins')? In any case, how could one (short of exit polling) really credit attendance numbers accurately to the installation of YOAMD, or other promotions, or other factors?

Comment

• MollyTrolly
                Hiding in the shadows
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
                In any case, how could one (short of exit polling) really credit attendance numbers accurately to the installation of YOAMD, or other promotions, or other factors?
                They do poll visitors for their reasons for visiting at the entrance gates (at least I have seen this quite often over the past few months). I obvoiusly don't have results of those polls but the general lack of understanding of the campaign tells me that casual visitors are probably not there to win a dream.

It is true that the incentive of the promotion may be selling more APs or causing people to visit more often, but looking at how promotions are supposed to work, I don't think the higher attendance in general is due to YOAMD.

Seasonal promotions work because they are for a limited time, they have a call to action that must be acted on within a specific timeframe. With YOAMD originally planned for 15 months (now 27 months total) , thats hardly a move to a rush action on the part of the consumer.

A little piece of heaven

Comment

• Aladdin
                  Prince Ali
                  • Jan 2005

2.2YOf2.3MD is and has remained a dud since it arrived DOA.
                  It doesn't even have an anniversary celebration too cling on
                  to in order to promote it.

As for the growth that the DLR has experienced, it is pretty
                  much because there is an overflow park for people to enter,
                  regardless of it's quality. Yes, DCA is responsible for growth,
                  just because there is more room for guests at the resort. It
                  just takes a little while for guests to learn whether or not they
                  need to spend more time because of the added park, and then
                  they may not plan for the extra day or 2, until they see for themselves.

Unlike us Disney dorks, most families from outside the immediate
                  area want to see things in California, beside DL. And to spend even
                  one extra day at DL means giving up time elsewhere. So there is
                  definitely a growth curve due to the expansion. Of course, if the
                  quality would have been higher, it would have brought a larger
                  boost to attendance, and a larger attendance to grown on.

Another factor is actually getting TL attractions re-opened, rather than
                  continually closing attractions in TL. At TL low point, the only open
                  attractions were the tired Star Tours, Autopia, Innoventions, and Honey
                  I Shrunk the Audience. It was as if all of TL fell off the edge of the earth.
                  No one was going to TL after the resounding dud of TL'98. In just the
                  past couple of years, Buzz opened, Space Mt re-opened, and the Subs
                  are back. Those create more things to do, and increase park capacity.
                  So let it be known loud and clear, Growth is due primarily due to NEW
                  QUALITY ATTRACTIONS! And that is exactly the same reason WHY
                  DCA didn't bring the DLR as big of a Bump in the numbers as they initially
                  anticipated. IT'S BECAUSE of the total number of QUALITY attractions
                  that DCA opened with (or lack thereof).

As for the Seasonal Decorations and Attractions: I won't use the word
                  "promotion", as that implies more of the advertising, rather than attractions
                  or added features to the park. However the YoaMD is just a promotion
                  without the validity of added attractions for guests ~ unlike Christmas or
                  Halloween, where they do actually ADD special attractions for ALL guests
                  to see and do. Emphatically, YES they do make a difference in attendance,
                  and they always have! BUT, it goes hand in hand with having those
                  ADDED QUALITY ATTRACTIONS.

SO, it comes into question WHY did it take DL so LONG to get this
                  Halloweentime rolling? WHY DON'T they have some sort of EASTER
                  celebration???? DL's Floral Displays in the spring are PHENOMENAL!!!!
                  So some of the money is already spent each year on that anyway!
                  It might just help extend that Easter/Springbreak season even further,
                  Perhaps start off with a Valentines celebration during the typically
                  slow month of February and blend gradually into a Springtime Celebration,
                  How about an Eater Program similar to the Candlelight Celebration!
                  That seems like a natural extension!

DL still has a ways to go, to max out the holiday celebrations. And
                  as long as they keep in mind "Added Quality Attractions" ~ THAT
                  will keep the people coming!
                  Last edited by Aladdin; 01-09-2008, 08:39 AM.
                  Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                  An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                  Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                  Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• Disneyland Daddy
                    ...is fading out....
                    • Jul 2006

For me...I go to Disneyland because it's Disneyland - not because of the lame promotion - YOAMD. And I stress that it is a lame promotion........when my 'dream' is Mickey Ears.....sheesh.

Comment

• kirbilicious
                      MiceChatter
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                      2.2YOf2.3MD is and has remained a dud since it arrived DOA.
                      It doesn't even have an anniversary celebration too cling on
                      to in order to promote it.
                      I think this is the biggest problem I have with the campaign. It's not cleebrating any anniversary and it was launched way too soon after the 50th. When you're constantly celebrating something, the novelty is lost. I think one of the really sad things about the promotion is that in WDW, there was a major anniversary that they could have worked in to the promotion somehow - Epcot's 25th, but unfortunately, it was largely overlooked.

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                        MiceChatter
                        • Feb 2005

I agree. They could have VERY easily given the same treatment to EPCOT's 25th as they did for DL's 50th. A "Global" celebration. At least that would have meant something.

Comment

• fo'c's'le swab
                          Blind to His Own Faults
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by MollyTrolly View Post
                          They do poll visitors for their reasons for visiting at the entrance gates (at least I have seen this quite often over the past few months).
                          If this is the case, then I assume Disney knows the results--and are pleased with them, if the extension of this promotion (beyond all reason) is an indicator.

It is true that the incentive of the promotion may be selling more APs or causing people to visit more often, but looking at how promotions are supposed to work, I don't think the higher attendance in general is due to YOAMD.
                          Promotions are implemented to accomplish many different specific goals--some short term, some long term. I have seen no marketing strategy blueprints for the design of the YOAMD, and wouldn't want to speculate, personally, on how it is 'supposed' to work.
                          With YOAMD originally planned for 15 months (now 27 months total) , thats hardly a move to a rush action on the part of the consumer
                          But may logically indicate that they are pleased with the results, else why extend it?

Comment

• Goofy Daddy
                            Knight that says Nee!!
                            • Dec 2006

YoaMD isn't a bad thing IMO but it isn't why I go to the park. On the other hand we did take a trip last year specifically in October (an added trip we normally don't take) because of the Seasonal promo and activities (MHT in DCA) going on.

So, bottom line, even though YoaMD is better than a boot to the head, I don't see it driving attendence much at all. I do see the seasonal promotions and activities doing that though.

Comment

• MollyTrolly
                              Hiding in the shadows
                              • Jan 2007

But may logically indicate that they are pleased with the results, else why extend it?

A little piece of heaven

Comment

• mousechild
                                Who Gave Rob an Avatar?
                                • Oct 2007

If YOAMD is even moderately successful in promoting goodwill for the casual guest it is probably a winner. YOAMD costs very little as far as campaigns go. It is a homogeneous advertising campaign that promotes the Disney parks in one tidy package as far as Disney is concerned. That we don't care for it is a moot point. We sit here complaining about what is wrong with DL and still we go to the park hundreds of times. Disney is absolutly not worried about what we think about YOAMD. I have seen people at the park just thrilled that they won the fastpass even though it was a slow day at the park. We one ears and it didn't make me want to throw them in the trash bin.

And while we might not find ears, fastpasses and such 'dream prizes' some people are going to win a nights stay at the dream suite, cruises, and money to spend. So those people are probably not going to come to MC and say YOAMD really is a stupid idea. In fact the people who have reported winning such prizes seemed pretty darn happy about it.

Comment

• mickeygirl66
                                  True Disney Freak
                                  • Jan 2008

My family certainly doesnt visit Disneyland based on the YOAMD dreams promotion. We haven't won a single thing at DL and likely have visted 15 days since the promotions started. Actually had a Dream Squad cast member ask my daughter to hold a gate at Alice in Wonderland and then push right by her to award dream fast passes to the rest of the line. I figure if there is Karma a nice Dream Squad member will graciously award the Destinations by Disney prize to my family on the next visit

Comment

• fo'c's'le swab
                                    Blind to His Own Faults
                                    • Dec 2006

This is my entire point. I believe people may be confusing the YOAMD for something it isn't.

Now, if they were to stop calling these prizes "dreams" and call them what they are PRIZES I may change my opinion, .

(BOLD mine) Possibly its design was not meant to fulfill such a purpose as you outline.

Since Disney doesn't literally create 'magic' (in its strictest definition) maybe they should refrain from that claim as well? I still don't understand all the semantic grumblings surrounding the choice of the word 'dreams'. Some of the premium giveaways may very well accurately reflect a 'dream', a 'once-in-a-lifetime' opportunity. To dismiss an entire promotion because of subjective interpretation seems unfair to me.

Comment

• mousechild
                                      Who Gave Rob an Avatar?
                                      • Oct 2007

Disney has a long history of promotional gimmicks. Before we cry for the head of the current management team perhaps we would be well served to reflect on the long history of Disney promotions. If anyone wishes to learn more I would suggest starting with Ridgway's "Spinning Disney's World" the guy spent nearly 50 years selling Disney and many of the things that Disney did look hokey even from the inside. Promoting Disney the brand really isn't any different, mechanically speaking, than promoting gasoline and automobiles.

Comment

• MollyTrolly
                                        Hiding in the shadows
                                        • Jan 2007

[/color]
                                        This is my entire point. I believe people may be confusing the YOAMD for something it isn't.

I still don't understand all the semantic grumblings surrounding the choice of the word 'dreams'. Some of the premium giveaways may very well accurately reflect a 'dream', a 'once-in-a-lifetime' opportunity. To dismiss an entire promotion because of subjective interpretation seems unfair to me.
                                        As a branding campaign I think it is hugely successful, the TV media is enough to conjure images of Disney and make people want to visit the parks, and the attendance numbers over the past years definitely would lead to that conclusion. So, in that realm the promotion is a success, as a marketing promotion for the parks.

I guess I am more upset that they had a huge opportunity to create that feeling with this promotion and its just not there. They created a great message...its just too bad its misunderstood by the masses.

A little piece of heaven

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X