This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you remember? Mike Finks Keel Boats

Hiya! Do you miss the Keel Boats? What was your favorite memory of them, should Dland bring them back?
    Last edited by CAspace; 01-27-2008, 06:02 PM.

Re: Do you remember? Mike Finks Keel Boats

I remember them, but I was waaaaaay to young to be wow'd by them. The canoes were the thing for me.
    A signature line this small can't open it's own jumpgate.

Comment

Loved them...you can still see one on the ROA from either the Columbia or the Mark Twain. You might want to visit Yesterland....
      Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
      it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

Originally posted by CAspace View Post
        Hiya! Do you miss the Keel Boats? What was your favorite memory of them, should Dland bring them back?
        I too miss them, they were taken away, due to the a faulty bilge pump (spelling?) and a cast member got all the guests rocking the thing during the ride - it basically tipped over and sunk.

Memory...(odd one): There were three long blonde-haired women working on canoes, standing on the dock..and all on the keel boat were treated to the three sirens yelling across the water:

"Ooooooh, Traaaaaviiiis!" and in unison flipped their hair from one side to the other. The boat driver looked, as were many of us on the boat - they guy was left speechless..glad to know his name was Travis and not Sam as his name badge said.

Now, while many cast members had done this and it was frowned upon but generally not a punished act. Just a boat that needed help and hadn't gotten it yet.

While I would LOVE totally LOVE for them to be brought back, I seriously doubt that they will...
        Last edited by shadow; 01-27-2008, 06:31 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

They overloaded the boat and had to much weight to one side. That is the reason it flipped over. They have since sold one of the boats and the other sits on the banks. I wish they would bring them back. There is so much newer technology they could put in them to make them safer.
          I was a few minutes away from Hong Kong Disneyland and didn't make it but got this cool picture though

Comment

Originally posted by wolfy999 View Post
            you can still see one on the ROA from either the Columbia or the Mark Twain. You might want to visit Yesterland....
            Yeah, they tend to make a few "night trips" from time to time.

Comment

Here is the Bertha Mae

Comment

Anybody know why the audio from the Mark Twain calls them, "those no good keel boats"?

(from the musical history of DL)

Comment

I loved 'em. They were the Jungle Cruise of the Rivers of America. You could get some pretty funny skippers!

Comment

Does anyone have a psuedo transcript of what a ride Spiel would have been like?

Comment

Managing to grab the front two seats on the bow on the Keel Boats gave you the BEST ride around the river, hands down. It really felt like you were out there by yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Opus1guy View Post
                        I loved 'em. They were the Jungle Cruise of the Rivers of America. You could get some pretty funny skippers!

Between them and canoes... we traded a lot of Skips river for river!

About a year back the JC put together a canoe race team, first time in a while. We had a decent time, but we were known more for the jokes we cracked on the ROA. Let's say it was an entertaining experience for everyone within ear shot, including Theme Park 1!
                        "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

That is the one thing I regret. I never rode the Keel Boats. Remeber seeing them though and they added so much to the ROA.

Comment

Here is a picture of Gullywhumper, the one remaining Keel Boat still on the Rivers of America. Next time you pass by on the (Mark Twain or any other river transport still running) give ole Gullywhumper a nod. The boat has taken on water the last couple years and I'm sure will be removed one day soon as it's likely to be rotting and will pose a hazzard on the river. Too bad really, Disneyland should bring back the Keel Boats.
                            Interesting story, the Keel Boats were originally the same boats from the Davy Crockett series, shown on TV in the 1950's. In the early days of Disneyland they were always looking for ways to add attractions to the park and increase ride capacity. The story I've heard is that the boats were secretly refurbished by the studio workshop to hold passengers just afrer the conclusion of the TV episode and presented to Walt one day as a "gift" for Disneyland. The boats most recently at Disneyland are reproductions of the origional boats. The old boats where made of wood and the new boats of fiberglass.
                            Gullywhumper is back on the Rivers of America!

Comment

I believe there is a keel boat in the blue bayou. If it's not, then it sure resembles one.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X