This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POTC ride - a few questions

First, the general consensus with my family, we like the old ride better. (I've been reading, most MC'ers seem to agree with this).

Second, if Jack (too much Jack, btw), Barbossa, and Davy Jones belong, why don't the other primary cast members such as Elizabeth, Will and Norrington belong on the ride?

Why not add a few rock morphing crabs in the beginning of the ride (where the red crab is)?

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Re: POTC ride - a few questions

Originally posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    Second, if Jack (too much Jack, btw), Barbossa, and Davy Jones belong, why don't the other primary cast members such as Elizabeth, Will and Norrington belong on the ride?
    Because the imagineers wanted to preserve the feel of the ride we've all come to know and love. Adding too many characters would take over too much of the old attraction.

Comment

Here is my 2 cents. Anything added to represent the movies, will further erode a ride that was near perfect scene wise. Most of the additions that were added to scenes made the ride much better. This would include, the large water blasts in the battle scene as well as the cannon air whoshing by. The shadows sword fighting on the wall was great too. Elisabeth, Tia Dalma or Will would take away more from a story line that has stood the test of time.

So my vote would be for improve and update, don't change the story line any more then they already have. It seems everything added for the sake of the movie wasn't much of an improvement IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
        Most of the additions that were added to scenes made the ride much better. This would include, the large water blasts in the battle scene.
        I'm not too fond of those. :botox: Only time I really ever get wet on the ride now is during the battle scene. I love the air whooshing part but I'm always on the look out for the water blasts instead of enjoying the battle scene.
        http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
        www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
        http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

Comment

If you notice, you see Jack in areas that were weak anyways, but now they are much stronger because he is there. The cave where Davy is in used to be nothing but voices. Barbossa, well I don't even think it looks like him. I don't feel the movie took over strong at all. But hearing the new soundtrack of the original AA's can be annoying because they talk about the movie.
          "Don't bee cheeken"

Comment

Here is my 2 cents. Anything added to represent the movies, will further erode a ride that was near perfect scene wise. Most of the additions that were added to scenes made the ride much better. This would include, the large water blasts in the battle scene as well as the cannon air whoshing by. The shadows sword fighting on the wall was great too. Elisabeth, Tia Dalma or Will would take away more from a story line that has stood the test of time.

So my vote would be for improve and update, don't change the story line any more then they already have. It seems everything added for the sake of the movie wasn't much of an improvement IMO.
            I agree, but adding Elizabeth to the bride scene, say, and Will to the battleship scene.

Oh yeah, and Carlos used to blow water when pulled up in the well years ago, why doesn't he anymore, not since 2005?

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

If I was 10 years old again and all I knew of POTC was Jack Sparrow...of course I'd want to see him in the attraction. And who knows...maybe 20 years from now when the next generation doesn't know who Jack is, they'll revert the attraction to the original.
              The whole POTC phenomenon is very reminiscent of the Davey Crocket craze in the 50's. And we don't see much of Davey any more do we?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
                Why not add a few rock morphing crabs in the beginning of the ride (where the red crab is)?
                Why would the crabs be there? Would we be in Davy Jones' "Limbo"? It's these kinds of breaks in internal logic that has made POTC what it is today, IMO. In agreement here, however, with SA's opinion that the original is far superior.

When considering additions to ANY attraction, FIRST consideration should be given to its support of the attraction's already existing theme. Does the addition make sense in its surroundings? Does its inclusion support the established logic? If it cannot pass this simple test without thematic contortions and creative gymnastics, it should go no further, IMO.

The mishmash we see now (trying to serve TWO themes: the original script AND the film's interest) is a direct result of this dismissal of proper theming principle. In trying to serve too many interests at once, Disney fails to serve either to a satisfactory standard, IMO.

Pick your battles and fight 'em, says I. Havin' one foot in each camp only means you're never really in either place.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                  If I was 10 years old again and all I knew of POTC was Jack Sparrow...of course I'd want to see him in the attraction. And who knows...maybe 20 years from now when the next generation doesn't know who Jack is, they'll revert the attraction to the original.
                  The whole POTC phenomenon is very reminiscent of the Davey Crocket craze in the 50's. And we don't see much of Davey any more do we?
                  Of course, Davy Crockett wasn't made a permanent addition to an existing Disney attraction in response to his 'craze'.

Comment

Originally posted by Drum-&-Train View Post
                    If you notice, you see Jack in areas that were weak anyways, but now they are much stronger because he is there. The cave where Davy is in used to be nothing but voices. Barbossa, well I don't even think it looks like him. I don't feel the movie took over strong at all. But hearing the new soundtrack of the original AA's can be annoying because they talk about the movie.
                    "Don't bee cheeken"

Depends on your definition of a "weak" area. First jack is between the well scene and the auction. Granted you call it weak,but it possibly the best scene of the whole ride. Second Jack, in the barrell. If Disney would stop changing the chase room it'd be great but I still love that scene whether they are chasing chicks or food. Last Jack, I agree. The up the waterfall scene has been weak ever since they removed the pirates shooting on the barrells and replaces it with the large butted pirate lifting the chest.

Comment

IMO it is good that they didn't add more movie characters than the few they have now. The ride inspired the movie, not the other way around. More movie characters would drown the already swamped original ride story.

Comment

Depends on your definition of a "weak" area. First jack is between the well scene and the auction. Granted you call it weak,but it possibly the best scene of the whole ride.
                        I'm assuming you're saying the auction was possibly the best scene...not the space inbetween the aucion and well scenes. Because there was nothing there before.

Comment

. This would include, the large water blasts in the battle scene as well as the cannon air whoshing by. The shadows sword fighting on the wall was great too.
                          The water blasts stink if you have a service dog. The dog loves the ride, but she gets all excited during the water blasts....

I've seen the 3 movies. I wouldn't know Norrington if you pointed him out to me. The actor played the creepy cousin in Pride and Prejudice right? I think Jack is a great character, but the movies did nothing for me so changing the ride to fit a movie trilogy, makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                            I'm assuming you're saying the auction was possibly the best scene...not the space inbetween the aucion and well scenes. Because there was nothing there before.
                            Yes, that is what I am saying. The well scene and auction scene have little gap between them. Jack also changed the lines of the pirate dunking Carlos in the well.

Comment

Originally posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
                              If it cannot pass this simple test without thematic contortions and creative gymnastics, it should go no further, IMO.
                              My personal Disney-shareholder question:

Will the tie-in synergy create a stronger brand and park, boost my stock, and still fit the ideals of the company? If the answer is Yes, build away.

The PotC changes were very small, and not that big of a deal to support or change. However, it tied the brands together, and STILL helps sell the DVDs, and creates motivation for new films. Theme/Story are important to an extent, but it comes down to how a change will further the company and it's shareholders, IMHO.
                              -Monorail Man

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X