Third Gate: If the Disneyland Hotel is imploded....

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pisces
    • Feb 2006

Third Gate: If the Disneyland Hotel is imploded....

It sounds wild, but if they are thinking of imploding the Disneyland Hotel (And I'm not saying they are....)

Would there be enough space to build a 3rd Gate, or mini Westcott right there where the Disneyland Hotel and Towers is? Perhaps a wholly new hotel could be built inside the new Park, or a brand new Disneyland Hotel where the Timon Lot is now....or some other place.

A Third Gate where the Disneyland Hotel stands right now, would be very convenient and the proximity to the monorail/Downtown Disney.

The Strawberry Patch is kind of out of the way, and the need for shuttles etc...
    2007 Photos:
    http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/dd345/Pisceslibra/Disneyland%20Christmas%202007/?start=all
    More 2007 Photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pisceslibra/sets/72157606706412381/
    2007 UPDATED Trip Report:
    http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php/trip_report_photos_dec_2007-102026.html
    2006 Photos:
    http://pisces.smugmug.com/gallery/2307689/11/120769200#120769200_T5KyJ
  • bayougirl89
    Banned User
    • Nov 2007

Re: Third Gate: If the Disneyland Hotel is imploded....

Last I heard the Strawberry patch was still privately owned. A third gate would be cool though, if it had the right theme.

Comment

• sir clinksalot
      MiceChatter
      • Feb 2005

I don't think just the grounds of the DL hotel, but the grounds, with the DtD lot AND the Pinnochio Lot would concievably work. I REALLY wish they'd do a water park personally.

Comment

• Jackdack
        Man of Logic and Reason
        • Jan 2006

My biggest concern with a third gate is that they have enough trouble maintaining and keeping the two parks they have now interesting and fresh. The more gates you add the closer the DLR gets to WDW and I personally see that as a bad thing. I'd rather have two amazing parks (like Tokyo) then four decent ones (like WDW) or a good one and a sub-par one (like Paris).

Also, I don't think they could afford to lose the guest capacity of the hotel.

Comment

• Pisces
          • Feb 2006

Al Lutz suggested that they are kicking around a lot of different ideas about what to do with the Disneyland Hotel.

Lutz suggested (rumor?) that the cost of total renovation....for that amount of money, they might as well build a completely new hotel/resort.

In a different location ????

So that's really my question, if the Disneyland Hotel and Towers gets imploded must a wholly new Resort/Hotel be built exactly there ???

The same principal with DCA....the large amounts of money they are using to "fix" DCA could probably buy a wholly new theme park.

If I were running things? Of course I'd make changes to DCA, but the kinds of changes I'd make wouldn't cost as much. I'd add much more shade landscaping, themed jugglers on the boardwalk, better musical loops, more shops and dining, and nighttime activities. I'd start small.

I'd do little things, that might make a big impact and don't cost as much as tearing into walls and getting rid of existing attractions.

It's really a question of how you allocate funds, and where you are putting your biggest chunk of money.

DCA hasn't proven itself, so it doesn't make sense to me, to throw all that money towards it. Maybe just try to tweak things a little bit, meanwhile starting over fresh with a new Third Gate, and making sure the Third Gate is done right.
          2007 Photos:
          http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/dd345/Pisceslibra/Disneyland%20Christmas%202007/?start=all
          More 2007 Photos:
          http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php/trip_report_photos_dec_2007-102026.html
          2006 Photos:

Comment

• ni_teach
            Just this guy......
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by bayougirl89 View Post
            Last I heard the Strawberry patch was still privately owned. A third gate would be cool though, if it had the right theme.
            Disney finally bought the Strawberry Patch a few years back. This is the planned area for the 3rd park.
            Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

• Pisces
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by ni_teach View Post
              Disney finally bought the Strawberry Patch a few years back. This is the planned area for the 3rd park.
              It's nowhere near Downtown Disney, and in keeping with the idea that you are just steps within one theme park and another.
              2007 Photos:
              More 2007 Photos:
              2006 Photos:

Comment

• Goofy Daddy
                Knight that says Nee!!
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Pisces View Post
                DCA hasn't proven itself, so it doesn't make sense to me, to throw all that money towards it. Maybe just try to tweak things a little bit, meanwhile starting over fresh with a new Third Gate, and making sure the Third Gate is done right.
                So rather than fix the problems with the 2nd gate you'd throw a band aid on it and spend money on a 3rd gate even though the 2nd gate didn't "prove itself". I don't know about that one.

I'd rather they get the 2nd gate up to par first before they bother opening another. As far as the hotel goes...no matter what the ever knowledgeble Mr. Lutz said, I don't see the logic in tearing down the DLH and then building a new resort hotel in a different location. The current location is pretty much too small for a full new park but the right size and location for a resort hotel so why not?

Comment

• Mojave
                  DLR Construction nut
                  • Nov 2005

A 3rd park seems pretty far in the future. The next 10 years will see phase 1 of DCA, followed hopefully by phase 2, plus I assume additions to DL (Big Thunder Ranch?). So I'm guessing a 3rd park would not be likely until at least 2020.

That said, the land of the DL hotel land and surrounding parking lots is too long and narrow. The strawberry fields are square-ish and really not that far away.

Comment

• Pisces
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
                    So rather than fix the problems with the 2nd gate you'd throw a band aid on it
                    But, what if the problems can't be fixed?.....and wouldn't it be better to take the risk.....with a smaller amount of money and less disruption???

You are either going to spend the bulk of the money fixing something that may or may not ever be viable...

Or, just start from scratch on something else, done the right way from the get-go.
                    2007 Photos:
                    More 2007 Photos:
                    2006 Photos:

Comment

• AliKzam
                      Now 40% less bitter!
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                      I don't think just the grounds of the DL hotel, but the grounds, with the DtD lot AND the Pinnochio Lot would concievably work. I REALLY wish they'd do a water park personally.
                      A water park would be nice, but maybe like a combination park where people who don't want to do the water-slide thing (or the swimsuit thing) can still ride attractions and take advantage of what the park has to offer.

Pisces said:
                      for that amount of money, they might as well build a completely new hotel/resort.
                      They are!
                      Oo-de-lally!

Comment

• sediment
                        Banned User
                        • Jan 2005

It sounds wild, but if they are thinking of imploding the Disneyland Hotel (And I'm not saying they are....)

Would there be enough space to build a 3rd Gate, or mini Westcott right there where the Disneyland Hotel and Towers is? Perhaps a wholly new hotel could be built inside the new Park, or a brand new Disneyland Hotel where the Timon Lot is now....or some other place.

A Third Gate where the Disneyland Hotel stands right now, would be very convenient and the proximity to the monorail/Downtown Disney.

The Strawberry Patch is kind of out of the way, and the need for shuttles etc...
                        If that's the case, the the strawberry patch could be used for the new DL hotel, which should also have monorail access.
                        I don't think an implosion is a good idea. They make a lot of dust. Easier to clean up, though, since the wreckage is all on the ground. Taking it apart slowly, from the top down would be more expensive, but at least the other towers could still house guests. And demolition wouldn't need to be done until the new hotel on the strawberry patch was completed.

DLH is not big enough by itself to house a meaningfully-sized third gate. It would take the parking lots both south and north of it to be a good size, and that would be a long and not-wide park.
                        Check google maps to see just how small the DLH is relative to DL and/or DCA. Tiny patch.

My just-developed idea for DL expansion: on top of Autopia! Electric cars on an enclosed track (still making a autmobile noise, though), and on top of it, um, something e-tickety. (Don't bug me with details!)

Comment

• DLandFansAZ
                          .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .
                          MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                          • Jul 2005

Lutz suggested (rumor?) that the cost of total renovation....for that amount of money, they might as well build a completely new hotel/resort.

In a different location ????
                          The good thing about a new location is that solves the problem of hotel capacity when (if) they implode. The could build and complete the new hotel and once open get rid of the DL hotel.

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                          You are absolutely right the hotel doesn't have a big enough footprint for a new park, you would need to add. However it would be concievable big enough for a water park. I second the water park idea.
                          Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Comment

• mrfantasmic
                            • Jan 2005

Actually, rebuilding the Hotel in the Strawberry patch or even K-Lot isn't a horrible idea, if the goal was to keep the parks in a confined area.
                            The monorail expansion down Harbor would be nice for the area, with the option of stopping at the GardenWalk properties as well.
                            This would, of course, REQUIRE the Pumbaa Structure be built finally and its tram route completed (a tunnel under Harbor, if you can believe it). But darned if it actually is a nice proposal.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                              MiceChatter
                              • Jan 2008

I really don’t think that the DLH property would be appropriate for the third gate. The strawberry field makes much more sense and is really not that far away. I think they’ll eventually create walking paths and transportation between Garden Walk into the existing main entrance plaza and then into the new park’s entrance plaza. They also will need to add new parking structures on that side of the parks and will likely also have an in park hotel there and possibly some other hotels where ever they make sense as well as operating the hotels at GW itself. I do see some merit in the idea of building a new hotel in a small portion of the field which would eventually be next to the third gate, or perhaps in some of the Downtown Disney lots, which would allow them to have a new place to put guests while the DLH is being rebuilt.

Obviously, there is a lot to look at here and perhaps a smaller third gate like a water park could be on that side of the parks and still have room for more hotels and parking in the future. I think the changing plans for the DLH could certainly bring about some major overall changes to the plans and I like the creativity of this idea even though I’m not sure it’s the best idea. I think the goal for Disney will be to have a hotel district at that end DTD and I think that’s probably smart.

Sorry for rambling a bit.
                              Please check out my website, UncleBobDisneyGuy.com!

Thanks for your support!

Comment

• KISSman
                                Progressive Disneylander
                                • Dec 2006

I'm all about extra parks, but I think they need to need to get DCA right before they start dreaming up another park. Let's see what DCA looks like in 5 years and then maybe.

Comment

• pianoman13
                                  Fancy that...
                                  • Jun 2007

there isn't enough room for a third park, but there could possibly be a water park? Or... I DO have an idea for a new 4 star hotel were the DL hotel is now..but i'll spare you, unless you ask

Comment

• pianoman13
                                    Fancy that...
                                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by KISSman View Post
                                    I'm all about extra parks, but I think they need to need to get DCA right before they start dreaming up another park. Let's see what DCA looks like in 5 years and then maybe.
                                    They can dream all they want, all they need to wait for is when they will actualy build it.

Comment

• Lore
                                      Animatronic
                                      • Mar 2005

Disney needs to buy up all those properties behind the Disneyland Hotel, then they'd have a big enough area for a Disney Seas type park.

Comment

• shortiemetoo
                                        Minion
                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by sediment View Post

My just-developed idea for DL expansion: on top of Autopia! Electric cars on an enclosed track (still making a autmobile noise, though), and on top of it, um, something e-tickety. (Don't bug me with details!)
                                        lol love it!
                                        Any day at Disneyland is a Happy Day!!!! :ap:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X