Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did they build the waterfalls/grotto at the DL Hotel? Any other info?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did they build the waterfalls/grotto at the DL Hotel? Any other info?

I can't find any info on when they were built, who designed them, anything...

Anyways I love those. In the late 90's/early 00's, we would stay at the hotel. If we got up early, My sister and I got to feed the koi fish in the morning near the falls before going to the park.

The waterfalls would always, (or occasionally?) be turned off at night I think. Though, I never got a chance to see them get turned on or off. Maybe someday I'll be able to check that out.

Re: When did they build the waterfalls/grotto at the DL Hotel? Any other info?

I *think* they're closed now. Here's a link to the show, but I'm not sure when they opened.
    http://www.mouseplanet.com/karl/ht040720kb.htm
    Next Disneyland trip: June 19th-24th
    First Disney cruise: Oct. 23rd-27th

See some of my Disneyland photos here!

Comment

Yeah you're talking about fantasy waters, which closed either last year, or a few years ago. I liked that too. But I'm talking about the waterfalls nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex E View Post
        Yeah you're talking about fantasy waters, which closed either last year, or a few years ago. I liked that too. But I'm talking about the waterfalls nearby.
        Why did the show close anyway?

Comment

I don't know for sure- I'm guessing maybe because of the cost of maintenance and/or lack of interest.

Comment

Comment

The waterfall area is still open but only during the day. I walked through there a couple of weeks ago. The close it at night because there was little to no lighting in there and the steps can get very wet obviously. You can only imagine what that could lead to.

Comment

The "Water Wonderland," including 165-foot-long Horseshoe Falls, opened with the Bonita Tower on June 7, 1979. The complex was designed by architect Kurt Weber.

Comment

Thank you, Jason!

Comment

Oops, thought you were talking about the water show. :blush:
                    Next Disneyland trip: June 19th-24th
                    First Disney cruise: Oct. 23rd-27th

See some of my Disneyland photos here!

Comment

Fantasy Waters was shut down due to years of lacking maintenance... A really bad part on Disney. 1970-2004

I feel nearly all magic at the hotel has been lost.
                      Last edited by FantasyWatersDude; 05-20-2008, 08:46 PM.

Comment

I remember watching the water show from our tower balcony maybe ten years ago and thinking "this hotel is so cool!" Bummer that they took it away.

Facebook me!
                        Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

Not positive, but I think their demise was tied to DCA/Downtown Disney changes.
                          I also miss them...such a part of many stays when my kids were young and fascinated by such wonderful experiences...Heavy Sigh

Comment

I hear that Heavy Sigh! From the early 70's to the 1990's, the Water World theme and marina at the Disneyland Hotel was simply the best. The Dancing Waters show was always fun, even in its last years when it was getting just a bit tired. Strolling the marina and the waterfall grotto on summer nights after the Park closed (nights? try wee hours of the morning!) was magical and romantic. Day or night, the Disneyland Hotel pre-"DLR" was wonderful. Very, very, very much missed.

For anyone in need of a DLH nostalgia fix, check out Don Ballard's "Disneyland Hotel" blog -- magicalhotel.blogspot.com/

EDIT: 'Nother DLH nostalgia fix, from 3 years ago, right here on MC!
                            micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680
                            Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-21-2008, 12:37 AM.
                            "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                            Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                            imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                              I hear that Heavy Sigh! From the early 70's to the 1990's, the Water World theme and marina at the Disneyland Hotel was simply the best. The Dancing Waters show was always fun, even in its last years when it was getting just a bit tired. Strolling the marina and the waterfall grotto on summer nights after the Park closed (nights? try wee hours of the morning!) was magical and romantic. Day or night, the Disneyland Hotel pre-"DLR" was wonderful. Very, very, very much missed.

For anyone in need of a DLH nostalgia fix, check out Don Ballard's "Disneyland Hotel" blog -- magicalhotel.blogspot.com/

EDIT: 'Nother DLH nostalgia fix, from 3 years ago, right here on MC!
                              micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680
                              No wonder it was done away with. Not once did you use the word "Dreamy" to describe any of it!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X