Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to win a Disney Trivia challenge & need help with original Disneyland question

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to win a Disney Trivia challenge & need help with original Disneyland question

When Disneyland first opened what TWO attractions were not owned by Disney? And what were the owners?

Please if anyone can help that would be fantastic. I am stuck on this one question and am trying so hard to find the answer. To all thank you!
    Last edited by smarrt19; 08-19-2008, 07:51 PM. Reason: wrong spelling of a word

Re: Trying to win a Disney Trivia challenge & need help with original Disneyland ques

Walt Disney owned the Disneyland Railroad and the Disneyland Monorail (which did not open till 1959, btw) through his company Retlaw Enterprises. He also owned the Enchanted Tiki Room, but that did not open until 1963. Is that right?

Comment

Re: Trying to win a Disney Trivia challenge & need help with original Disneyland ques

Thank you for your reply I am looking for the TWO that were not owned by Walt Disney.

Comment

When Disneyland first opened, there were two railroad attractions, both owned by Walt Disney, not by Disneyland.

The Santa Fe & Disneyland RR Passenger Train departed from the Main Street Station, making a nonstop, roundtrip journey back to Main Street Station.

The Santa Fe & Disneyland Freight Train departed from the Frontierland Station, making a nonstop, roundtrip journey back to Frontierland Station.

There was no Fantasyland/Videopolis/Toontown Station, and there was no Tomorrowland Station.

For more information, see http://www.yesterland.com/passengertrain.html and http://www.yesterland.com/fldepot.html
        Last edited by Werner Weiss; 08-20-2008, 01:55 PM.
        Werner Weiss
        Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Comment

Many of the shops were not owned by Walt Disney/Disneyland, such as the Photo Shop (owned by Art Linkletter).

Some of the original attractions, many in Tomorrowland were sponsored, but still owned by Walt Disney/Disneyland.
          Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Thank you so much for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by smarrt19 View Post
              Thank you so much for your help.
              And thank you for asking the question!

I really had to think about it. The "obvious" answer is that the Santa Fe & Disneyland RR and the Disneyland Alweg Monorail were the two attractions owned by Walt Disney in the 1950s. But the Monorail didn't open until 1959.

Today we think of the Disneyland Railroad as one attraction with four stations and a variable number of trains (depending on how busy the park is) which stop at each station. But that's not how it was when the park opened.

I hope the answer I gave is the answer they were looking for.
              Werner Weiss

Comment

One more question; is there a difference between Walt's Folly and Disney Folly?

Comment

Originally posted by smarrt19 View Post
                  One more question; is there a difference between Walt's Folly and Disney Folly?
                  The film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was derided as "Disney's folly" before it opened in 1937 (and proved the nay-sayers wrong).

Disneyland was derided as "Walt's folly" before it opened in 1955 (and proved the nay-sayers wrong).

It appears that by the mid-1950's, the nay-sayers felt they were on a first-name basis with Walt Disney.

Of course you may find other instances of projects being called "Disney's folly" or "Walt's folly." Those aren't any sort of official brand names, so any writer can apply them in any way he or she wants.
                  Werner Weiss

Comment

Thank you so much hope I win this round.

Comment

If the answers aren't the ones given in this thread, could you post them so we all could see the "real" answers? I'm curious now too!
                      It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

so cool

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X