This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February 12, 2009: Lincolnland

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. So celebrate in Lincolnland.
    Link to Lincolnland
    Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: February 12, 2009: Lincolnland

As a fellow Illinoisan, nice job!
    MagicalTrash.com - Documenting the trash cans of Disney theme parks and resorts

Comment

Very nice article. I love your spin on the information.

Comment

Wow -- that is a whole lotta Lincoln!

I really like that you can still see him inside the Lincoln Memorial on the back side of the penny coin.

Comment

Originally posted by Javamom View Post
          I really like that you can still see him inside the Lincoln Memorial on the back side of the penny coin.
          The new 2009 pennies won't have the Lincoln Memorial on the reverse (tails) side.

Lincoln One-Cent Redesign
          Werner Weiss
          Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Comment

Shame on you forgot Lincoln's birthplace in Kentucky. Also his wife is also from Kentucky.

Comment

Thanks for the Lincoln article Werner. Still trying to make something out of those last five "rustic" statues of Mr. Lincoln.

Thanks also for the link to the "new" penny... the Feds had better shake a leg and start minting them before the dollar sinks to yen-like value and the pennies are more valuable as ballast.

Comment

I think it's interesting Disney decided not to cash in on this opportunity. They could have slapped a bicentennial sign on the front of the attraction and put it on front of the park map.

Comment

Originally posted by AstroBlaster View Post
                  I think it's interesting Disney decided not to cash in on this opportunity. They could have slapped a bicentennial sign on the front of the attraction and put it on front of the park map.
                  Alas, Disney was not able to make Lincoln a trademarked character, so there's no use promoting him.

Comment

So....is that it for Abe at Disneyland? Are they ever gonna bring him back to the opera house?
                    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

Sadly, Disney isn't the only place where Lincoln is being neglected.

I attended Eastern Illinois University many years ago in Charleston, Illinois, and often drove past the giant deteriorating Lincoln statue on my way home. I am glad someone is taking good care of it now!

Also near Charleston, the Lincoln Log Cabin State Historic Site recently was closed indefinitely due to state budget issues. The site, which was the later home of Lincoln's father and stepmother, included a visitor center and two wonderful living history farms. How sad.

As a born Hoosier, I would be remiss if I didn't remind everyone that Lincoln, as he said in Great Moments, was born in Kentucky, grew up in Indiana, and later moved to Illinois. There are state and federal monuments to Lincoln in Indiana that are open and ready to visit!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X