Clear All

• February 19, 2009: Defunct Magic Kingdom

Link to Reminders of Defunct Magic Kingdom Attractions
    Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Comment

Re: February 19, 2009: Defunct Magic Kingdom

It makes me said when I visit WDW and see these old remnants of attractions past.

You put the Diamond Horseshoe as in Liberty Square... it's in Frontierland.

And the theatre in the back of the Expo Hall that shows cartoons is one of the original Walt Disney Story theatres. There are 2 theatres... the other is part of a CM only area now. The big mural that has almost every Disney character from Mickey to the Great Mouse Detective is in that hidden area now too. I'd give almost anything to be able to see that mural again.

Comment

Pfft. Yes, Disneyland's Tomorrowland has its "haunted" corners. But compared to the Magic Kingdom, it's one well-preserved park.

It amazes and saddens me what's become of this park. Where's the love.

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
          You put the Diamond Horseshoe as in Liberty Square... it's in Frontierland.
          Disney listed the Diamond Horseshoe Revue under Liberty Square, at least back in the 1970s.

For a 1973 map of Liberty Square and Frontierland, with attraction listings, see Yesterland: The Magic Kingdom in 1973

Originally posted by aimster View Post
          And the theatre in the back of the Expo Hall that shows cartoons is one of the original Walt Disney Story theatres. There are 2 theatres... the other is part of a CM only area now.
          The current cartoon theater in the back of the Exposition Center is tiny. It seats around 30 people. The original theaters of the Walt Disney Story were larger.
          Werner Weiss

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Werner Weiss View Post
              Disney listed the Diamond Horseshoe Revue under Liberty Square, at least back in the 1970s.

For a 1973 map of Liberty Square and Frontierland, with attraction listings, see Yesterland: The Magic Kingdom in 1973

The current cartoon theater in the back of the Exposition Center is tiny. It seats around 30 people. The original theaters of the Walt Disney Story were larger.
              Really? I didn't know that about Diamond Horseshoe. Odd that they did that.

And I believe they ripped out a lot of the seats in the theatre that shows the cartoons now. If you look up when you enter/exit the area you see the old automatic door warning signs and the curtains that used to be around them. I should take some photos next time I'm there. I always stop in there for awhile to get out of the heat.

Comment

That was a cool look back in time! I've never had the pleasure of visit D.W. but from the sounds of things from your article it would be a bit of a depressing experience for me. I remember how sad it was cruising through D.L.'s Tomorrow land in the late 80's and remebering all the fun experiences I had in what were at the time dead attractions. I still get that feeling anytime I see the Fantasy Land bucket station or the People Mover. I feel bad for the Florida folks that theres no Penny arcade, cinema or Horseshoe review! Being an ap holder you really begin to appreciate those simplier offerings. Some times standing in an hour line just doesn't seem like a vacation at all. That's where the little things over looked by most come in to save your day.

Comment

At least we still have our PeopleMover.

Comment

I remember having a very distinct "ghostly" experience when the Rocket Rods opened in Disneyland. They ran the queue through the previous CircleVision attraction, and didn't bother to make the room not look like CircleVision; the screens were still up (one with a huge tear in it; some were used for a modest new film clip)...and the CircleVision lean rails were still in there, now being used as the queue. Were we all supposed to pretend we didn't remember that this had recently been CircleVision? Was I supposed to forget the times I had been there with friends, the jokes we'd made about the film, the times we were glad to chill out in the back row after running around on a hot summer day? When they started showing Wonders of China in the mornings? The theme song in the animated preshow? America the Beautiful?

Nostagia drives a lot of the parks' economies, and memories people have from previous visits is a large part of that. I think Disney should tread carefully in how they show respect for this, and the answers are not always easy. When I saw the picture of the Swan Boats loading area, my gut reaction was being happy to see a little memorial to the attraction, I think that's nice. But on the other hand, it seems more Walt-like to avoid having unused or shuttered areas, I remember when the parks avoided that with a passion.
                    Last edited by Asterix; 02-19-2009, 09:47 AM. Reason: Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Comment

I think a bunch of micechaters should all assemble in a line in one of those dead ques as a protest!
                      Throw some attention on this stuff in an interesting way. I wouldn't suggest this for anyone that's not an AP. It would be a shame to shell out all that money to wait in a line to nowhere. But it would be a fun kind of social experiment.

Comment

also one of the quiet corners on main street was blocked off...by a bulding! Ick!

Comment

Originally posted by richboi117 View Post
                          also one of the quiet corners on main street was blocked off...by a bulding! Ick!
                          Yep. West Center Street was filled by an addition to the Main Street Emporium. I didn't put it in the article because it doesn't involve a defunct attraction. It might be good business, but it makes Main Street seem less like a real street.

Also, even the Fire Station is a merchandise attraction!
                          Werner Weiss

Comment

I really miss the Skyway to Tomorrowland and rode it every single time I visited the MK starting in 1972.

However, it is really expensive to run and a slow-loader. Each station requires at least three workers at all times, plus more need to be available for breaks. They also need one-two supervisors at all times. There are also some special liability problems because the buckets are open and people can drop things or even attempt to get out of the bucket.

Comment

And Disney can't afford to use so many cast members because it is such a poor, cash-strapped mega-corporation and has been for years (note sarcasm).

The top manangement have lost all respect for their customers and do the minimum possible to keep us coming back. Of course, this represents short-term thinking and the criminal squandering of an incalculably valuable legacy. They'll pay dearly for it in the long-term.

If I sound bitter and disappointed it is because I am.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X