Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tobacco Shop

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tobacco Shop

    I worked in the Tobacco Shop (late '80's, early '90's). High school kids used to come in to by cigarettes and would get furious when we asked for ID. Had to be 16.[/FONT]

  • #2
    Re: Tobacco Shop

    I still can't believe Disney used to sell tabacco, it just doesn't seem right. But from what I've heard and read they didn't have any characters on them so I guess I could give them credit for doing that.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Tobacco Shop

      Originally posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
      I still can't believe Disney used to sell tabacco, it just doesn't seem right. But from what I've heard and read they didn't have any characters on them so I guess I could give them credit for doing that.
      I don't find it shocking at all. Walt was a heavy smoker. Of course he would have wanted a tobacco shop....but he had issues with gum ..

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Tobacco Shop

        It seems wrong now, but wasn't at the time.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Tobacco Shop

          Why not a tobacconist? Main Street had a hatter, a barber shop, a flower shop, a pharmacy, a candy store, a penny arcade, a theater and a candle shop. And back then, smoking wasn't taboo - today, smokers, even courteous and polite ones, are treated like villains (though, admittedly, it's impolite smokers who boost this impression).

          Does anyone know what year the Disneyland Tobacco Shop closed? I've been told (and read) late 1970s more than once, but that can't be right; I bought two pipes there in 1990 or 91. Can't remember the exact date - I was 12. (Hey! I was a collector then, not a smoker!)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Tobacco Shop

            Originally posted by JonasClark View Post
            Why not a tobacconist? Main Street had a hatter, a barber shop, a flower shop, a pharmacy, a candy store, a penny arcade, a theater and a candle shop. And back then, smoking wasn't taboo - today, smokers, even courteous and polite ones, are treated like villains (though, admittedly, it's impolite smokers who boost this impression).

            Does anyone know what year the Disneyland Tobacco Shop closed? I've been told (and read) late 1970s more than once, but that can't be right; I bought two pipes there in 1990 or 91. Can't remember the exact date - I was 12. (Hey! I was a collector then, not a smoker!)
            Tobacco Shop at Yesterland

            Says 1991.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Tobacco Shop

              I loved the Tobacco Shop on Main Street and I think it should still be there along with the full Penny Arcade and a few other missing shops from the old days.

              Main Street was supposed to representative of the Main Street of turn of the century, middle America where Walt grew up and the tobacco shop was a fixture in most of those main streets all across the country.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Tobacco Shop

                Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
                I don't find it shocking at all. Walt was a heavy smoker. Of course he would have wanted a tobacco shop....but he had issues with gum ..
                I don't like the mix of Disney and smoking since it resulted in one of the saddest days in history on December 15, 1966.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Tobacco Shop

                  Originally posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
                  I don't like the mix of Disney and smoking since it resulted in one of the saddest days in history on December 15, 1966.
                  Exactly.
                  Disneyland's closed for all of 2011. See you in 2012. Snow White is now a water ride, Matterhorn has a fullsize basketball court where the Clippers have relocated to, and King Arthur's Carousel is suspended 250ft. in the air.
                  Enjoy it while it lasts! LOL!

                  Proud Premium Passholder

                  What happened to the old Disney movie opening? The new ones just too long and not classic.

                  Comment

                  Ad Widget

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X