This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 11, 2011: Walt Disney World Then and Now: Magic Kingdom, Part 2

Two weeks ago, I published photos comparing Liberty Square, Frontierland, and Adventureland in 1983 and 2011. Here's part 2, with Main Street, U.S.A. and Fantasyland.
    Link to Walt Disney World Then and Now: Magic Kingdom, Part 2.
    Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: March 11, 2011: Walt Disney World Then and Now: Magic Kingdom, Part 2

Thanks for another trip in time back to my 1983 visit!

Comment

Color film and digital camera - there's that much of a difference? I didn't know - although I guess you could color correct the digital picture. Comparing 1983 with 2011, isn't it better to compare with 1971? Maybe I'm nitpicking, maybe it was essentially unchanged between 71 and 83, also I guess I should give you a break - maybe you didn't have the appropriate pictures from 71. Anyway I always enjoy your articles, whatever you do.

Comment

I really love these comparisons over time - keep 'em coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Disneykin Kid View Post
          Color film and digital camera - there's that much of a difference? I didn't know - although I guess you could color correct the digital picture.
          I have the option of doing color correction on either the scanned color slide from 1983 or the digital photo from 2011 — or both. Many photos in the article have subtle color correction. However, correcting the color significantly can make a photo look worse instead of better. For example, adding more green to make the sky on an old color slide scan look more like the sky on a digital photo can give an unwelcome greenish tingle to other parts of the picture.

Also, colors can legitimately be different depending on the time of day that a picture was taken.

In any case, I'm trying to show how things have changed — or how they have stayed the same. I feel it's sometimes necessary to point out when the difference in color is due to a new paint scheme and when it's due to the photos themselves.

Originally posted by Disneykin Kid View Post
          Comparing 1983 with 2011, isn't it better to compare with 1971? Maybe I'm nitpicking, maybe it was essentially unchanged between 71 and 83, also I guess I should give you a break - maybe you didn't have the appropriate pictures from 71. Anyway I always enjoy your articles, whatever you do.
          I really wish that I had WDW photos from 1971. My first visit to WDW was in early 1983, so those are the photos I had. Perhaps, someday, a kind volunteer will find a box of earlier WDW color slides or negatives, and we can arrange to have them scanned. That would be great.
          Werner Weiss

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
            I really love these comparisons over time - keep 'em coming!
            I think you'll enjoy some future photo essays at Yesterland comparing EPCOT Center in 1983 to Epcot in 2011. EPCOT Center was less than four months old at the time.
            Werner Weiss

Comment

They did actually change the "white" of the castle. Maybe it was around the time that the HCoE decorations came down? The new "white" has a little pink in it.

Comment

Also, a zig zag pattern has been added to the blue turrets of the Castle, more like the original Herb Ryman concept painting.

Comment

Nice update!

Timekeeper
                  sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
                  Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

Originally posted by crlachepinochet View Post
                    They did actually change the "white" of the castle. Maybe it was around the time that the HCoE decorations came down? The new "white" has a little pink in it.
                    Originally posted by Friar Tuck & Roll View Post
                    Also, a zig zag pattern has been added to the blue turrets of the Castle, more like the original Herb Ryman concept painting.
                    Thank you to crlachepinochet and Friar Tuck & Roll! I updated the comments about the spire photos.
                    Werner Weiss

Comment

You know, this might just be me, but I'm kind of glad the new signage won't be as subtle. I do prefer things to look more realistic and less over the top, but from an efficiency standpoint, it does make it easier for guests to find it. Some guests don't speak English, but the large colors and recognizable names make it easier for them to locate things, especially something as popular as meeting Mickey. When I worked in Adventureland long ago, people couldn't find the entrance to the Swiss Family Treehouse because the sign was about the size of my torso, and some people still can't find Pirates even though it now has that giant flag thing.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X