X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 25, 2011: Lion Country Safari

Link to Lion Country Safari.
    This is a major update to a Yesterland article originally posted more than four years ago.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: March 25, 2011: Lion Country Safari

There is still one thing left from Lion County. The road leading into Wild Rivers is still called Lion County and has a sign hanging over Irvine Center dr. with that on it.

Comment

Why no mention of Bubbles the Hippo Houdini, that was a major story before her passing?
      Meega, nala kwishta!

Comment

Thanks Werner for bringing these tidbits of memories back to us.
        Last edited by Disneykin Kid; 03-25-2011, 08:32 PM.

Comment

It's not Lion Country Safari, but there is still a large drive-thru safari as part of Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey, so that's another option if you're looking to re-live the experience. Although I didn't know about the one in Florida!
          Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by disneyfn View Post
            There is still one thing left from Lion County. The road leading into Wild Rivers is still called Lion County and has a sign hanging over Irvine Center dr. with that on it.
            Thanks! I didn't know that.
            Werner Weiss

Comment

Originally posted by hadesthecat View Post
              Why no mention of Bubbles the Hippo Houdini, that was a major story before her passing?
              I considered mentioning the escape of Bubbles the Hippo and how her story was in the news day after day. Unfortunately the story had a sad ending.
              Werner Weiss

Comment

Originally posted by JesterMn View Post
                It's not Lion Country Safari, but there is still a large drive-thru safari as part of Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey, so that's another option if you're looking to re-live the experience. Although I didn't know about the one in Florida!
                Wikipedia has an entry called "Safari park" which lists a number of animal drive-through or ride-through attractions. (As with with Wikipedia entry, I would recommend double-checking anything in the article before relying on it.)

Click on: Safari park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The cool thing about Lion Country Safari is Florida is that it still has the same name as the defunct California park, and even has a logo that's based on the same logo.
                Werner Weiss

Comment

Werner, I have fond memories of Lion Country Safari in Southern California. My Mom has a bunch of photos of our visit. My visit was in 1974 though I remember the year not for visiting the park but for sitting in our hotel room and watching President Nixon resign LOL.

Comment

There used to be a lion drive-through here in New Zealand at Orana Wildlife Park. It is one of my most vivid childhood memories. My Dad would wind down the window and entice lions onto the car; I can remember them being on the hood, on the roof, pulling at the window-wipers!

Comment

Originally posted by Bryce05 View Post
                      My Dad would wind down the window and entice lions onto the car; I can remember them being on the hood, on the roof, pulling at the window-wipers!
                      Yikes! That seems dangerous.
                      Werner Weiss

Comment

My family has pictures at Lion Country Safari. Including one of me and my brother in a zebra stripped jeep holding a lion cub. Totally forgot about those pictures until this column. I need to go find them.

Comment

Originally posted by Werner Weiss View Post
                          Yikes! That seems dangerous.
                          Probably, haha.

I remember a rabbit entering the enclosure once too, and the whole pride chased it down. It was like being in a live documentary.

Comment

You updated! Good Article!

Timekeeper
                            sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
                            Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

I still have my "Frasier the Senuous Lion" wristwatch! Got it there in about 1972.
                              "Life without music would be a mistake." - An unknown, but very wise person

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X