This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 11, 2007: Food, Lodging, & Theaters around Yesterland

Two weeks ago, I republished Other Lands, with big new pictures and more information about the "lands" that I found around Disneyland in 1974.

For Friday, May 11, 2007, I've republished another page with pictures from 1974:
    Link to Food, Lodging, & Theaters around Yesterland.
    Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: May 11, 2007: Food, Lodging, & Theaters around Yesterland

we still play "who can spot the Matterhorn first?", but back in the day, the landmark cue that we were near was the huge globe right off the west (south bound) side of I-5.

thanks again Werener, love the blasts from the past!
    a friend of Walt.

Comment

Very cool update Werner.

My how times have changed.

Comment

Give us more!

Great topic..There are so many more theme motels to cover like the Jolly Roger, Candy Cane, the Heidi and Stovall's Cosmic Age and the Inn of Tomorrow, to name a few. Lots of these can be found as postcards.
        "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

How long has the Alpine Inn been there for?

Comment

This article was a lot of fun. Thank you so much for sharing! Really this is just the tip of the iceberg though. Through the years Disneyland has be surrounded by so many wonderfully kitchy establishments. I was wondering, if any one would be able to point me in the direction of any books that look back at vintage L.A. Or in particular the hotels surrounding Disneyland. Thanks!

Comment

Oh, my goodness! That was so funny! I love mis-spelling due to weather conditions!
              Oo-de-lally!

Comment

Re: Give us more!

Originally posted by Cousin Orville View Post
                Great topic..There are so many more theme motels to cover like the Jolly Roger, Candy Cane, the Heidi and Stovall's Cosmic Age and the Inn of Tomorrow, to name a few. Lots of these can be found as postcards.
                I remember staying at the Cosmic Age. Wasn't there a chain or series of "space themed" Motels? It was close enough to walk so it must have been where DCA is now. I loved the carpet. That I remember very clearly
                "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
                I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

Comment

That is so funny, Disney Jones. When I was a kid and my parents took me to Disneyland I ALWAYS waited to see that globe off the I-5 too! Yes, it meant that Disneyland was just ahead! Ahhh, the memories......

Comment

Originally posted by DisneylandManFan View Post
                    That is so funny, Disney Jones. When I was a kid and my parents took me to Disneyland I ALWAYS waited to see that globe off the I-5 too! Yes, it meant that Disneyland was just ahead! Ahhh, the memories......
                    It was the Global Van Lines building, Offical mover of Disneyalnd.
                    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

The pictures of the A&W Root Beer drive in remind me of the locations we had. We actually have one left that hosts a classic car show Friday nights during the summer, you can still buy ice cold Root Beer by the milk jug size.
                      Interesting places Werner!
                      1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

I used to enjoy staying at the Stovall's Best Western motels, back when they had the space-age decor. I think I stayed at the Galaxy, Space Age Lodge, and Inn of Tomorrow. The Disneyland Hotel charged $89 per night, so I saved money by staying at a Stovall's.

Somewhere in a closet, I have a one-day Disneyland Passport from 1986 that cost $17.95.

Does anybody know how to get in touch with Mr. Peabody, so I can ask to use the Wayback Machine?

Comment

Hilarious, informative and packed with incredibly interesting stuff...yep, it's another great Yesterland update!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X