This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan. 4, 2008: Ken-L Land Pet Motel

Link to Ken-L Land Pet Motel, Hosted by Ken-L Ration at Yesterland.
    Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: Jan. 4, 2008: Ken-L Land Pet Motel

I used to love working in the kennel, and most other cast members did not, so a lot of them would come to me to trade shifts to get out of there.

Comment

How about taking a dog into either of the parks? Sorry. Dogs are not permitted. There are two exceptions. Service animals are welcome. And so is Pluto.

I say there are Three Exceptions.
      Service Animals are welcome. and so is Pluto and Goofy

Goofy is a big dog.
      AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day šoš 2010
      Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
      Older photo
      New Photo

Member of
      MiceChat WDW Trip
      Next trip
      2014 Dec, 31

Comment

It's really sad about the $10 price hike in just two years. At $10, the Kennel really was a nice buy.. me and my partner got into the habit of bringing our dog when we went to Disneyland, and enjoyed taking the dog for a walk and such whenever we felt a need to break from the park. When it went up to $15 in 2006.. it was unpleasent... but was still bearable. $20 in 2007? That's ridiculous. Something that's supposed to be a SERVICE (as in, something to make visitors to the park have less to worry about) was now seeming like a luxury. As Premium Passholders, it was more then a little miffing to get stuck with two $5 hikes for something we used almost every visit. There's no discount or annual pass for the kennel, and because paying $20 every time defeats the lure of the Premium Pass' 'free visits' factor... we ended up just going less. So Disneyland lost all the money we would've spent on food and gifts during our visits, since the unwillingness to choose between a sitter for the dog or paying $20 a visit just left us staying away instead of wanting to visit more. I really hope they rethink their Kennel prices, or at least offer a steep Annual Passholder discount. Hardly anyone uses the place as it is... do they really want to drive MORE people away?

Comment

Originally posted by kayoss View Post
          Hardly anyone uses the place as it is... do they really want to drive MORE people away?
          When I was putting together the article, I was really surprised by the increase from 50 cents in 1975 to $20 today. That's 40 times the 1975 price! (Based on inflation as measured by the CPI, it should be about 4 times as much.)

Many other things have also gone up far more than the rate of inflation. Medical care comes to mind right away.

But 4o times as much?

When I was researching the article, I found it interesting that the Disneyland Resort does not offer any overnight kennel services for hotel guests, even though they have three large hotels which don't allow pets. They advise guests with pets to seek the services of an outside kennel, but they don't offer suggestions.
          Werner Weiss

Comment

I'm guessing that, while the price has gone up since the 70's, the level of care has improved as well. I expect that for $0.50 you got a plastic box to stuff your pet into for 16 hours. Such changes implies increased operational costs.
            Visit MouseBits at http://www.mousebits.com for the Internet's largest and most active source of fan-made Disney video and audio multimedia!

Comment

Originally posted by SirLamer View Post
              I'm guessing that, while the price has gone up since the 70's, the level of care has improved as well. I expect that for $0.50 you got a plastic box to stuff your pet into for 16 hours. Such changes implies increased operational costs.
              Does anyone know (ideally from experience) if and how the level of care has changed?

I doubt that they've gone from plastic boxes to luxurious doggie suites over the past 30 years. It's still the same building, and it's likely to have the same cages inside. I think it's more a matter that it's gone from being a service with a nominal charge to a profit center with a rather hefty charge per animal.

But I could be wrong. Does anyone really know?
              Werner Weiss

Comment

Originally posted by Werner Weiss View Post
                Does anyone know (ideally from experience) if and how the level of care has changed?

I doubt that they've gone from plastic boxes to luxurious doggie suites over the past 30 years. It's still the same building, and it's likely to have the same cages inside. I think it's more a matter that it's gone from being a service with a nominal charge to a profit center with a rather hefty charge per animal.

But I could be wrong. Does anyone really know?
                The service level hasn't changed one bit over the years. I never boarded a dog back in the 70s since I was just a kid then but I have boarded dogs plenty of times when it was sponsored by Gaines, Friskies and Purina. During those years it has always been just a kennel with an attendant and nothing more like a doggie day care, personal walker, etc.

The last time I boarded my dog was right before the prices went up from $10 to $15. Now that it is $20, I feel it is no longer worth it since you can find day care or overnight boarding for a just a few dollars more. This would solve your overnight boarding issues since it was already mentioned that the Disneyland hotels don't allow pets. The number of hotels that do allow pets are very limited and charge extra fees for having pets.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by akfandisney View Post
                  How about taking a dog into either of the parks? Sorry. Dogs are not permitted. There are two exceptions. Service animals are welcome. And so is Pluto.

I say there are Three Exceptions.
                  Service Animals are welcome. and so is Pluto and Goofy

Goofy is a big dog.
                  I was going to say that also. What about mice and ducks. Can we forget bears i can't think of any other animals that are mascots. We may need to board the Jungle Skippers on here they seem to get wild and in trouble and would be better to leave them at the gate for 20 dollars. Just joking to all of you skips
                  I was a few minutes away from Hong Kong Disneyland and didn't make it but got this cool picture though

Comment

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_077.htmlhttp://disney.go.com/vault/archives/...ofy/goofy.html
                    Werner Weiss

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X