Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jan. 11, 2008: Real Buildings that Inspired Disney's California Adventure, Part 1

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan. 11, 2008: Real Buildings that Inspired Disney's California Adventure, Part 1

This article presents six buildings at the Disney's California Adventure Park and the corresponding Los Angeles area buildings that inspired them.
    Link to Real Buildings that Inspired Disney's California Adventure, Part 1 at Yesterland
    Please discuss it here.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 01-10-2008, 11:53 PM.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: Jan. 11, 2008: Real Buildings that Inspired Disney's California Adventure, Part 1

Great Part 1, Werner. I look forward to next week's Part 2.

I never really knew what building the facades in DCA's Backlot came from. The facade for Playhouse Disney makes sense for what originally occupied that space - the ABC Soap Opera Bistro. Pairing up the former ABC Radio/Studios building with the ABC Soap Opera restaurant in DCA was a nice touch. Too bad it didn't last long.
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 01-11-2008, 07:25 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Re: Jan. 11, 2008: Real Buildings that Inspired Disney's California Adventure, Part 1

These are great articles! I love seeing the comparisons and histories. Looking forward to the continuation next week.

Comment

I love this thread! My mom used to make hats at the Bullocks Wilshire!
        I want my cake back!
        sigpic

Comment

I really enjoyed this article, and I can't wait for part 2.

Comment

Very cool thanks

Comment

I really enjoyed this article Werner, can't wait for part 2.
              I was in the Magic Kingdom, now I'm in the Carribbean.
              You get something really wicked, when you spend an E-Ticket!

~The Vandals "Pirates Life"

Comment

Nice article as usual. I was really interested in the restrooms which I know are inspired by a Frank LLoyd Wright textile block house. I had been a little curious as to which house that is but I hadn't tried to look it up myself. Hopefully that will be featured in the next update...
                The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
                -Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
                  I was really interested in the restrooms which I know are inspired by a Frank LLoyd Wright textile block house. I had been a little curious as to which house that is but I hadn't tried to look it up myself. Hopefully that will be featured in the next update...
                  Uncle Bob,

Alas, Part 2 on Friday, January 18, won't have anything about the Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired bathrooms. As you noted, they're clearly based on Frank Lloyd Wright's textile block houses of the 1920s.

However, as far as I can tell, the Imagineers designed the bathrooms bathrooms in the style of the textile block houses, but not patterned after any one single house.

When I first visited Disney's California Adventure in 2001, I had to smile when I saw the Frank Wright Lloyd bathrooms. This is a very clever product of Imagineering. There's nothing like it at the Studios park in Florida.

This is one exterior I hope they don't change as part of the billion dollar upgrade to Disney's California Adventure.
                  Werner Weiss
                  Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X