• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dustysage
    Man of mystery and
    MiceChat Administrator
    • Jan 2005

Opening

Dan and I are already planning on going to the new Hong Kong resort as soon as it opens. I know it is going to suck, but I really don't care. It is just an excuse to stop in Hong Kong, WHICH I LOVE.

Anyone heard any interesting news about this park?
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
    Save
  • riding_big_thunder
    Riding Big Thunder
    • Jan 2005

Apparently for Phase 2 of the park they are going to have a really high-spec Pirates of the Carribbean with a Splash Mountail style drop at the end, now that's cool! I still don't get why this park doesn't have a Frontierland! :confused:
    Walt Disney World Trips: October 95, August 98, October 04

Disneyland Paris Trips: Too many to name!

:monkey:

Comment

• Dustysage
      Man of mystery and
      MiceChat Administrator
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by riding_big_thunder
      Apparently for Phase 2 of the park they are going to have a really high-spec Pirates of the Carribbean with a Splash Mountail style drop at the end, now that's cool! I still don't get why this park doesn't have a Frontierland! :confused:
      I totally agree. I guess they figure that the Chinese won't understand the American old west. But a super 2.0 version of Pirates would be tres cool. :monkey:
      MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Save

Comment

• crinklebat
        Junior Senior
        • Jan 2005

I'm hoping to be studying abroad at HKU next fall. If so, I really hope some super Disney nerds from the states will come visit and let me know so I'll have a little taste of home.

Comment

• Jack's Return
          Haunted Mansion Holiday
          • Jan 2005

I wish Disneyland had a Pirates like theres. It sounds amazing.

Comment

• riding_big_thunder
            Riding Big Thunder
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Dustysage
            I totally agree. I guess they figure that the Chinese won't understand the American old west. But a super 2.0 version of Pirates would be tres cool. :monkey:
            Yeah, but the Japanese get it, and Disneyland Paris has a cool, if not slightly more stereotypical, Frontierland. I don't see why Hong Kong doesn't have one! frankly, it's an insult, especially in the same year as the original Disneylands 50th Birthday. No Big Thunder, no Rivers of America, no Splash! Why???
            Walt Disney World Trips: October 95, August 98, October 04

Disneyland Paris Trips: Too many to name!

:monkey:

Comment

• ImaginEAR
              • Jan 2005

I think the reason that HKDL doesn't have a Frontierland/Westernland is because China is a communist country and they don't want an area themed to the rebellious American West. *shrugs*

Comment

• Malin
                MiceChatter
                • Jan 2005

Im looking foward to see what this new Adventureland is going to be like.From the concept art I've seen it looks very much like Disney's Animal Kingdom.Disney say it will be the largest Adventureland ever built for a Disney Theme park.And I know it will have a Jungle Cruise,Lion King show and Tarzan's tree house situated in the middle of a island.

Main street will be built to resemble the original including castle.

Fantasyland looks to be designed after the Magic Kingdom at WDW with zero theming.Not sure about what Fantasy Gardens is going to look like but I do know its a meet & greet area for Disney Chracters.

Tomorrowland Im not sure about but do know it will include a copy of the new Space Mountain coaster that will be re launching later in the year at Disneyland,and a Buzz Lightyear seeing that no Disneyland park must be without one now days.Heard a rumour about a late edition of Autopia but why would this attraction be built with its high cost I don't know.

Other rumours I've heard for phase 2 include a Haunted Mansion and Its a Small World.
                Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

• Doodle Duck
                  Gepetto 2
                  • Jan 2005

Maybe odd maybe not...about no Frontierland...since the Chinese had such huge part to play in the building of the western US and while it was an incredible contribution...they were treated like animals for the most part.
                  Maybe they would rather not revisit those days.

What is really odd to me is that the legend of the Warrior Princess, which is a Chinese staple in Kung-Fu Opera and literature is not being capitolized on.

It made a wonderful parade here that's for sure! (our favorite)

Doug
                  http://SpookyBook.com
                  'Scary Dark Rides' Now in Hard & Soft Cover!
                  The ONLY Dark Ride Book.

Comment

• MasterGracey
                    Dateline Disneylander
                    • Jan 2005

The reason HKDL might not have a Frontierland amongst other things could simply be because Disney is building parks on the cheap. Does DCA ring a bell? However, I'm sure HKDL will be far worse than DCA considering all the stuff I've read about HKDL and the lack of everything that other parks have that HKDL wont be getting (or at least not until Phase II)..

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

• Malin
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jan 2005

Correct me if Im wrong but isn't the Hong Kong Govement coughing up most of the money for this park anyway?
                      Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

• Dustysage
                        Man of mystery and
                        MiceChat Administrator
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Malin
                        Correct me if Im wrong but isn't the Hong Kong Govement coughing up most of the money for this park anyway?
                        That is true. The government wants the park open before the next olympics. It also seems pretty clear that Disney didn't want to pony up the rest of the money needed to make this a killer park. They have even put out press releases saying that they have don't studies and the Chinese don't like rides. That parks and photo locations are much more important. Read: The park will be pretty, but there will be nothing to do.

But much can still change if either the Goverment or Disney suddenly decides that money can be made at this park. Look what happened in Japan. They opened a boring clone of a park (that isn't even laid out well). And then realized how much money can be made when you offer impressive new rides and shows. They NEVER would have spent 3 Billion dollars to build Disney Seas if they hadn't already made a bucket of money off the Magic Kingdom.

We'll have to wait for round two to see which direction this park takes.

Save

Comment

• DisneyMickey
                          Banned User
                          • Jan 2005

Maybe try to ask Paul Pressler?

Comment

• Jspider
                            • Jan 2005

Yeah, but the Japanese get it, and Disneyland Paris has a cool, if not slightly more stereotypical, Frontierland. I don't see why Hong Kong doesn't have one! frankly, it's an insult, especially in the same year as the original Disneylands 50th Birthday. No Big Thunder, no Rivers of America, no Splash! Why???
                            the Japanese got edumicated by us after WWII the Chinese try to censor the internet

and yeah the lack of rides in the park is pretty bad but oh well I guess

as far as the lack of Splash goes and the new Pirates ride I think it's obvious

it'll be pirates built around Splash's layout that way they won't have to build both
                            "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

• Stitch626
                              Oh great, he has escaped!
                              • Jan 2005

I have heard that HKDL will go along the lines of Disneyland. Almost everything is going to be the same.
                              I have also heard that Adventureland will be the biggest land in the park, due to its small size in every other park.
                              Brandon

* Signature under major construction*

Comment

• Jspider
                                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Stitch626
                                I have heard that HKDL will go along the lines of Disneyland. Almost everything is going to be the same.
                                I have also heard that Adventureland will be the biggest land in the park, due to its small size in every other park.
                                well I think that's due to lack of land

up until now they've been building Magic Kingdoms that have MORE land then Disneyland but I think Hong Kong might have less? so it makes since to try to follow through with plans from your smallest (and most condensed) version of your park and then crush it even more (hence why I'm suggesting that what they're doing with Pirates is a way to get around having to build both splash and pirates, it turns two rides into one)
                                "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

• Barbossa
                                  Infinitized!
                                  • Jan 2005

Maybe Jackie Chan could convince them to put in a Shanghai Noon stunt show that would be the main attraction for a Frontierland there.

Comment

• Joyce
                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ImaginEAR
                                    I think the reason that HKDL doesn't have a Frontierland/Westernland is because China is a communist country and they don't want an area themed to the rebellious American West. *shrugs*
                                    I think you have put WAY too much thought into this. As someone who lives and works in HK and has to read about the new park every day, I can tell you that all the gov't cares about is whether it makes money.

As someone else on the forum already pointed out the gov't (and therefore the HK taxpayers) are the main shareholders in the park. Not to mention the gov't picked up the tab for all the supporting infrastructure - reclaiming the land, building the rail line out to the site etc

You also need to remember that the HK park is designed for people who have probably not visited an international theme park before. So it's perfectly OK to not have all the rides and attractions the US park because the HK visitors have nothing to compare it to. At least that's the theory.

Time will tell whether they are correct.

Comment

• Dustysage
                                      Man of mystery and
                                      MiceChat Administrator
                                      • Jan 2005

I love Hong Kong Joyce. You'll have to join me at the park on my visit!

Save

Comment

• figment1986
                                        Banned User
                                        • Jan 2005

Look.. it is the great "firewall" of china... they are censoring and blocking this site overthere....

They want a sterotypical DL for themselfs... to stay in their country... to know want to explor the other countries....

hence no fronteerland.. or IASW....

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X