X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA Times: Ocean park outsmarts the mouse

Hong Kong theme park outsmarts the mouse

As Disneyland sputters, a revived Ocean Park is making a comeback as the local choice.

By David Pierson, LA Times - June 30, 2007

david.pierson@latimes.com

--

(INFOBOX BELOW)

Competing attractions

A comparison of Hong Kong Disneyland and Ocean Park:

Hong KongDisneylandOcean ParkPark openedSeptember 2005January 1977 AdmissionAdult:$38-$45Adult:$24 (USD)Child:$27-$32Child:$12 (varies for peakand off-peak days)MascotMickey MouseWhiskers the Sea LionParking$15$9-$10Normal hours10a.m.-8p.m.9:30a.m.-6:30p.m.Area (acres)3102152005 attendance5.2 million*4 millionMajor AttractionsMain StreetAdventure Land,U.S.A,Marine Land,Fantasyland,Headland RidesAdventurelandBird Paradise(includingPirates features)TomorrowlandReviewsPros: Good for kids,Pros: Mix ofeasily reachable,educational/good hotelsentertainment,Cons: Fewshort lines,attractions,good priceexpensive, distanceCons: Ongoingbetween attractionsconstruction* September 2005-September 2006 (first year)

Sources: Hong Kong Disneyland, Ocean Park, About.com, Disneyland Report, Forbes, ESRI

Re: LA Times: Ocean park outsmarts the mouse

Its always hard to compete with baby pandas.

Comment

Well... it's a known fact that Disney is somewhat disconnected with the locals' tastes in every way possible, but I also feel Disney does not have to change their ways or product to satisfy the moral majority... They did that in Paris and today, we see the result of some bad decisions there (poor cleaning and maintenance and alcohol served inside the DL park to name a few).

However... I had the pleasure of visiting Ocean Park AND HKDL on the same day, back to back, and to me... Ocean Park remains ghetto. HKDL is a totally Disney, totally quality experience, when put together with Ocean Park's carnival rides and lack of theming altogether. The Panda exhibit is a great way to fight Disney but it does not change the fact that Ocean park is an inferior park that does not deserve to be called "themed" park. It is simply an acceptable amusement park.

However... as I mentioned in my previous Ocean Park versus HKDL pictorial and review last month, Ocean Park is positioned to destroy the mouse IF they are capable of pulling off the great plans they have on the table for expansion. If so, Ocean park will become one of the premiere "themed" experiences in the far east, for sure. The Pandas are just a quick bandaid in a park that needs all the help it can get.

Comment

Ocean Park has already got the finance they need to put the plan into reality.

HKDL really has to get its act together. It is potentially a great park but it is a small park that needed investment YESTERDAY.
        Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
        Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
        Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
        Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
        Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
        Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
        Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Comment

True, and once they open the new MTR line to Ocean Park's door, it will be even more accessible to tourists and locals..

Comment

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/whatsnew/d...rllaunch_e.htm

It seems you have to transfer a lot to get around this system.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
              However... I had the pleasure of visiting Ocean Park AND HKDL on the same day, back to back, and to me... Ocean Park remains ghetto. HKDL is a totally Disney, totally quality experience, when put together with Ocean Park's carnival rides and lack of theming altogether. The Panda exhibit is a great way to fight Disney but it does not change the fact that Ocean park is an inferior park that does not deserve to be called "themed" park. It is simply an acceptable amusement park.

Comment

Ocean Park has kept on investing, expanding and re-inventing itself through the years, that's why we keep going back. Their new plans show that they have learnt from Disney on how to improve a theme park.

If HKDL wants to get ahead in the game, they really need to work very hard and bring their best rides and shows to HKDL.

Comment

Well if this article has hit the LA Times, it's sure to be noticed at Walt Disney's headquarters in Burbank.

Comment

If this is Florida, Disney would build an Aniamal Kingdom as second gate already to fight against OP. With twice as much pandas and a hugh themed manmade mountain with cable cars on it.

But then again this is no Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by wishyouwell View Post
                      But then again this is no Florida.
                      Thank God for that. Obviously the chinese are more discriminating about Disney's faux pas, than the usual touristy crowd at WDW, which seems totally happy with a see-saw and playground swing set, calling it a C-ticket.

Comment

But think about it.... in Florida, Disney built MGM Studio to out smart Universal Studio, Animal Kingdom to out smart Seaworld and Busch Garden, and downtown Disney to out smart Church Street. If they really want to bring down Ocean park, they should build a clone of Aniamal Kingdom, maybe one with Epcot's The Living Sea and The Land mixed in. Hey that may also attract the crowd who like the Wetland park too.

Comment

There is no point in destructive competition. HK public do not want one theme park, we want many theme parks because we want the tourists to stay longer in HK.

If Disney can build a second gate that is not in direct competition with HKOP, then we are all for it. But if they want to build something that will bring HKOP down, then we are not enthusiastic.

The objective is to get people to extend their stay in HK and bring their families. That was the whole point of building HKDL in the first place.

Comment

The problem is... Disney in Orlando DID NOT outsmart the other companies with their knockoff parks. Au contraire...those non-Disney parks are thriving and the bar of quality at those parks was raised with subsequent developments. In regards to Ocean Park.. I know what's coming there and Disney would have to spend billions of dollars to out do what Ocean Park is cooking in the oven.

Originally posted by Asa
                            The objective is to get people to extend their stay in HK and bring their families. That was the whole point of building HKDL in the first place.
                            If that is the case (and based on your "we locals would be all for something different than Ocean Park" rational) then why are you locals NOT visiting HKDL as often as possible and worst! giving it a bad rap and telling tourists NOT to go there...?

Comment

I have not said anything about HKDL being bad. I have only said it is small and under-developed, which is true. I do tell my overseas friends to go to both HKDL AND HKOP. But that does not mean I am satisfied with HKDL, it is miles away from what it should be and I am not going to sidestep this fact and pretend that it is great.

Those MEDIA that said the park is bad said so because they had been mistreated when HKDL opened, they felt the park people were arrogant. The MEDIA can say whatever they want, we have free speech in HK.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X