Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • News Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

    Check it out! New costume available from 6/12, just in time for rainy season in Tokyo. ¥3500 of "cute overload!" I expect this one will be VERY popular, even by Duffy standards.^^

  • #2
    Re: Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

    Wow, that really is adorable. I kind of wish I was collecting Duffy outfits now! I don't even have a Duffy bear though...I need one.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

      Originally posted by gurgi View Post
      Wow, that really is adorable...I need one.

      Yes, young Padawan...come to the Duff side.^^ THE BLACK CAULDRON is my all-time favorite Disney animated film, by the way.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

        It's mine too, and I sure wish there was more Gurgi merchandise!

        I think I missed the Duffy train though...he's been out for a while now, and has probably had a million cute outfits that you can't get anymore. Still, I may have to cave in and get one...so cute! For some reason, even more appealing than the Disney Bear version.

        I'm curious...just how much is a regular sized Duffy plush...the ones that fit those outfits?

        Oh, nevermind, I just looked at the site, and see that they are 3900 yen.
        Last edited by gurgi; 06-10-2009, 11:29 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

          What/who is Duffy?



          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

            That is too adorable! Gah, now I want it but an outfit + Duffy is going to run ~$80.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

              Love it!!! I can't wait to see the ones coming up too!
              Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
              https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

                Oh man, I now wish I hadn't looked up Duffy and his outfits online! I didn't realize just how many special outfits he's had since he was introduced! I guess the 25th anniversary was a little different though, because those seemed to be extra, in addition to his regular outfits.

                So, how many outfits does he get during a year? I looked at the upcoming calendar, and there's costumes coming in July, September (Halloween), and November (Christmas). So, what, like 5 a year?

                Now I really want to buy a Duffy bear and start collecting the costumes! I know it will be expensive at first, because of the cost of the bear, but once I have that, the costumes won't bee too bad...

                Oh, and while I was browsing Yahoo auctions Japan, I found what I think are all of his previous costumes, and they are just adorable! I love the cast member costumes from last year (I guess there were 12 in all?). His TDS 5th anniversary costume is cute too, and especially the Harborside Christmas costume!

                The other thing I noticed is that costume making for Duffy is a real industry! There are so many fan-made creations it's hard at times to tell what's official. I learned to just look for the official packaging to tell if it was a real park release or not. I have to say the skills of some of the fans are amazing! Not to mention, the Build-a-Bear, and even Pal Mickey costumes fit Duffy. Also, it looks like fans are making Duffy either a boy or a girl, because there sure are a lot of dresses made for him...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

                  Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                  I think I missed the Duffy train though...he's been out for a while now, and has probably had a million cute outfits that you can't get anymore. Still, I may have to cave in and get one...so cute! For some reason, even more appealing than the Disney Bear version.
                  It's never too late for Duffy!^^ I agree, too, that...something is different about the TDR version. I can't quite put my finger on it, cos I've only seen the WDW "generic" Disney Bears in photos. But I honestly think they're even stitched differently or use different plush or something.

                  On this point, actually, a note: If you're planning to buy the bear itself, I'd suggest waiting til Christmas. And being ready on 11/27 because they sell out FAST!!! I can't actually guarantee a Christmas version because I am not as well-informed as other folks around MiceChat and Duffy merchandising patterns still seem to be emerging and changing. There was one in 2007 and again last year, though, so I guess it's a strong possibility. In both cases, the Christmas Duffy has an open-mouthed, pink-tongued smile that is not produced any other time of year. Plus, at least in 2007/8, he came with a (sewn-on, but easily and harmlessly removable and reusable) Christmas hat and a fully removable muffler. I have never seen either of these Christmas versions start at less than ¥10,000 on Yahoo!, though mine was only ¥4200 (vs ¥3800 for the Standard version) when I bought it at McDuck's last year. I hope this is a tradition they continue. It's nice that it's limited - makes it "special" - but it's nice that there's an annual opportunity to have one. I like traditions like that.

                  In fact, for folks who could send the cash for purchasing and shipping up front, I'd try to snag them for you if you can't get to Tokyo. Though it is of course preferable to choose your own teddy bear, I do have a pretty keen sense in these matters.^^

                  Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                  Oh man, I now wish I hadn't looked up Duffy and his outfits online! I didn't realize just how many special outfits he's had since he was introduced! I guess the 25th anniversary was a little different though, because those seemed to be extra, in addition to his regular outfits.

                  So, how many outfits does he get during a year? I looked at the upcoming calendar, and there's costumes coming in July, September (Halloween), and November (Christmas). So, what, like 5 a year?
                  I think the number/schedule isn't set in stone. The 25th Anniversary were special ones that I doubt will be coming back, although I imagine there will be attraction/uniform-themed costumes again for TDS' 10th Anniversary in 2011. Duffy's popularity, according to my Disney friends has exploded rapidly in the past couple of years, so I think they're still experimenting with how and how much to market him. So far, it seems like more more MORE!:yea:

                  This site shows a lot of Duffy's costumes from TDS. The official TDS costumes are the second group, ディズニーシー (DisneySea). The first group, marked ディズニー (Disney), are Disney character costumes, mostly from Build-A-Bear, probably US. The last group, その他 (Others), features Duffy in various assorted costumes, also mostly from Build-A-Bear.

                  The TDS section is the most interesting to me, but I realize now that it does not show either of the Christmas version bears, although it does show all of the Christmas season costumes that came separately. If you wanna see the face of the smiling Christmas bear, check out photos in my Gallery.^^

                  Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                  Now I really want to buy a Duffy bear and start collecting the costumes! I know it will be expensive at first, because of the cost of the bear, but once I have that, the costumes won't bee too bad...
                  Actually, some of the older costumes - particularly his Peacoat and the Resort Line uniform (both of which I want desperately!) - I have NEVER seen start at less than ¥10-12,000! My advice is not to try to go back and collect everything, but to start collecting soon if having it all is a big goal. The costumes are still relatively new and bound to become even bigger in the future. At this point, I'd love to say I'd be really nice and just buy new costumes whenever there's new stuff, but if it was a regular thing, I might have to charge some kind of fee. Still, I really would like to do what I can to help promote Duffy. If there are people who really wanted a costume buying service, I'd be open to that. I know I'd want him if I lived overseas. The only problem is, Duffy stuff often sells out quick and I don't really make enough money to buy everybody's stuff, so...we'd have to work out the logistics. For all of TDR merchandise, I could never be a buyer, but for Duffy stuff, I'd be sincerely willing to try. We could be the first English Duffy Fan Club!)

                  Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                  The other thing I noticed is that costume making for Duffy is a real industry! There are so many fan-made creations it's hard at times to tell what's official. I learned to just look for the official packaging to tell if it was a real park release or not. I have to say the skills of some of the fans are amazing! Not to mention, the Build-a-Bear, and even Pal Mickey costumes fit Duffy. Also, it looks like fans are making Duffy either a boy or a girl, because there sure are a lot of dresses made for him...
                  This is one of my absolute FAVEorite things about the Duffy phenomenon - it is VERY creative! From costume-making to photography to dressing and accessorizing, a LOT of the people drawn to Duffy are drawn to him as a cute template for expressing their own creativity. Plus, OLC has photo and writing contests centered around Duffy! He is fundamentally, inherently and intentionally creative. I think Walt would like that. Even the way OLC adapted the made-in-a-marketing-meeting "Disney Bear" branding gimmick into a bonafide character concept with an enchanting story demonstrates just how inspiring this character has become since he "crossed the pond" (can we say that for Pacific?). Some of the outfits and other items that fans design are just incredible and often sell for very large sums of yen!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

                    Originally posted by DuffyDad View Post
                    It's never too late for Duffy!^^ I agree, too, that...something is different about the TDR version. I can't quite put my finger on it, cos I've only seen the WDW "generic" Disney Bears in photos. But I honestly think they're even stitched differently or use different plush or something.
                    Well, maybe there's something to that. I have not held the TDS Duffy in my hands, so it's hard to tell, but maybe it is different physically. I do have a Disney Bear, so once I have both, I can compare. For me, I think it might just be Duffy's charm. It seems like even though he's there to sell merchandise, somebody was thinking with their heart and found a way to really market to that. There's something innocent about it and not really crass. Plus, limiting him to one area in the park is another great idea. I do hope they don't let him get too out of hand.

                    Originally posted by DuffyDad View Post
                    On this point, actually, a note: If you're planning to buy the bear itself, I'd suggest waiting til Christmas. And being ready on 11/27 because they sell out FAST!!! I can't actually guarantee a Christmas version because I am not as well-informed as other folks around MiceChat and Duffy merchandising patterns still seem to be emerging and changing. There was one in 2007 and again last year, though, so I guess it's a strong possibility. In both cases, the Christmas Duffy has an open-mouthed, pink-tongued smile that is not produced any other time of year. Plus, at least in 2007/8, he came with a (sewn-on, but easily and harmlessly removable and reusable) Christmas hat and a fully removable muffler. I have never seen either of these Christmas versions start at less than ¥10,000 on Yahoo!, though mine was only ¥4200 (vs ¥3800 for the Standard version) when I bought it at McDuck's last year. I hope this is a tradition they continue. It's nice that it's limited - makes it "special" - but it's nice that there's an annual opportunity to have one. I like traditions like that.

                    In fact, for folks who could send the cash for purchasing and shipping up front, I'd try to snag them for you if you can't get to Tokyo. Though it is of course preferable to choose your own teddy bear, I do have a pretty keen sense in these matters.^^
                    I will SO take you up on that offer! Also, I'm way too impatient to wait until Christmas to get a Duffy. I think I'll have to just get the "normal" one first. Also, since you're the expert, I would trust you to find just the right bear.



                    Originally posted by DuffyDad View Post
                    I think the number/schedule isn't set in stone. The 25th Anniversary were special ones that I doubt will be coming back, although I imagine there will be attraction/uniform-themed costumes again for TDS' 10th Anniversary in 2011. Duffy's popularity, according to my Disney friends has exploded rapidly in the past couple of years, so I think they're still experimenting with how and how much to market him. So far, it seems like more more MORE!:yea:
                    Well, I hope I can keep up with it, LOL! I do hope he doesn't get too unmanageable with costumes coming out way too often.

                    Originally posted by DuffyDad View Post
                    This site shows a lot of Duffy's costumes from TDS. The official TDS costumes are the second group, ディズニーシー (DisneySea). The first group, marked ディズニー (Disney), are Disney character costumes, mostly from Build-A-Bear, probably US. The last group, その他 (Others), features Duffy in various assorted costumes, also mostly from Build-A-Bear.

                    The TDS section is the most interesting to me, but I realize now that it does not show either of the Christmas version bears, although it does show all of the Christmas season costumes that came separately. If you wanna see the face of the smiling Christmas bear, check out photos in my Gallery.^^
                    Thanks for the link to that site, it's great! I actually went to Yahoo auctions and copied images from there, but this site is way more useful.

                    Originally posted by DuffyDad View Post
                    Actually, some of the older costumes - particularly his Peacoat and the Resort Line uniform (both of which I want desperately!) - I have NEVER seen start at less than ¥10-12,000! My advice is not to try to go back and collect everything, but to start collecting soon if having it all is a big goal. The costumes are still relatively new and bound to become even bigger in the future. At this point, I'd love to say I'd be really nice and just buy new costumes whenever there's new stuff, but if it was a regular thing, I might have to charge some kind of fee. Still, I really would like to do what I can to help promote Duffy. If there are people who really wanted a costume buying service, I'd be open to that. I know I'd want him if I lived overseas. The only problem is, Duffy stuff often sells out quick and I don't really make enough money to buy everybody's stuff, so...we'd have to work out the logistics. For all of TDR merchandise, I could never be a buyer, but for Duffy stuff, I'd be sincerely willing to try. We could be the first English Duffy Fan Club!)
                    Yeah, I don't know how successful I'll be a getting any of the older costumes. I think I will have to focus on getting anything from this point forward, and maybe hope I can stumble on an old on sometime. But considering I can't even bid on Yahoo Japan auctions because they don't ship overseas limits my chances on that too.

                    Originally posted by DuffyDad View Post
                    This is one of my absolute FAVEorite things about the Duffy phenomenon - it is VERY creative! From costume-making to photography to dressing and accessorizing, a LOT of the people drawn to Duffy are drawn to him as a cute template for expressing their own creativity. Plus, OLC has photo and writing contests centered around Duffy! He is fundamentally, inherently and intentionally creative. I think Walt would like that. Even the way OLC adapted the made-in-a-marketing-meeting "Disney Bear" branding gimmick into a bonafide character concept with an enchanting story demonstrates just how inspiring this character has become since he "crossed the pond" (can we say that for Pacific?). Some of the outfits and other items that fans design are just incredible and often sell for very large sums of yen!
                    Wow, interesting that there's even a high market for fan-created costumes. I did see some amazing stuff though, so they obviously put a lot of work into it. I also agree that OLC really did take the overly corny idea of the Disney Bear and soften it and make it quite a bit more sentimental for fundamentally the same product. To me it makes a huge difference.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

                      Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                      It seems like even though he's there to sell merchandise, somebody was thinking with their heart and found a way to really market to that. There's something innocent about it and not really crass. Plus, limiting him to one area in the park is another great idea. I do hope they don't let him get too out of hand.
                      I share these sentiments precisely. And because of the heart behind it, and the intelligent planning so far, I'm fairly confident that OLC knows how to do this right. Still, it's always a concern. He is definitely growing.

                      Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                      I will SO take you up on that offer! Also, I'm way too impatient to wait until Christmas to get a Duffy. I think I'll have to just get the "normal" one first. Also, since you're the expert, I would trust you to find just the right bear.
                      I'll do my best!

                      Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                      Well, I hope I can keep up with it, LOL! I do hope he doesn't get too unmanageable with costumes coming out way too often.
                      Again, I share your feeling. Too much is too much. Now there is just enough stuff to be excited about without feeling overwhelmed or pressured to buy something all the time. This is good. Too much of anything makes it not as special for me, too.

                      Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                      Yeah, I don't know how successful I'll be a getting any of the older costumes. I think I will have to focus on getting anything from this point forward, and maybe hope I can stumble on an old on sometime. But considering I can't even bid on Yahoo Japan auctions because they don't ship overseas limits my chances on that too.
                      The Anniversary ones are really great, but the older "standard" costumes looked a little bland to me compared to what's being released now. Honestly, although they have always been cute, looking at the older ones, it's like they weren't really sure how much to spend on development/production until last year they realized, "If we make it, they will hand over their money in buckets,"^^ so the quality just gets better and better.

                      Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                      Wow, interesting that there's even a high market for fan-created costumes. I did see some amazing stuff though, so they obviously put a lot of work into it.
                      Lots of work and serious talent. My favorite was "cake_and_peach_tea," who seems to have sadly retired or be on hiatus.^^ Her stuff regularly went for upwards - sometimes WELL upwards - of ¥10,000. Here are some photos, so you can appreciate the detail of her work. She made the brown blazer and cuffed pants that my Duffy wore for Valentine Nights.:love:



                      Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                      I also agree that OLC really did take the overly corny idea of the Disney Bear and soften it and make it quite a bit more sentimental for fundamentally the same product. To me it makes a huge difference.
                      Yeah. To me, too.^^

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

                        Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
                        What/who is Duffy?
                        Click the link and be allured by all the adorable awesomeness!^^

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

                          Yes, saw the raingear on sale yesterday. Nothing special, but like anything Duffy, it will sell well.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

                            Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                            Yes, saw the raingear on sale yesterday. Nothing special, but like anything Duffy, it will sell well.
                            :whistling

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

                              Wow, "cake_and_peach_tea," really gets into it! Their designs are pretty good, if a bit "western". I like how they add Mickey heads to everything, but in a subtle way. Not sure I like the "Duffy" on his butt, but it is a style, I guess. The detail in the costumes is amazing though, and pretty much puts anything from Build-a-Bear to shame!

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X