Special event "Disney's Halloween" held

November 7th to December 25th:
    Special event "Christmas Wishes" held

December 31st, 2011 to January 1st, 2012:
    Special event "Tokyo DisneySea New Year's Eve Celebration 2012" held

January 1st to 5th:
    Special event "New Year's Programs"

Late January to March 19th:
    Finale special event (Name to be announced)
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Re: TDS 10th Anniversary "Be Magical!" Calendar

Hmm...quite vague and scarce on information. But......

Your Table is Waiting is the new dockside stage show!? Could this be a new version of what we saw during Halloween time of the 25th anniversary?

The Genie hosting the Summer events leads me to believe that all of Summer at TDR will be based around him. He is getting his own float in Dreamlights. I am sure Bonfire will stay around now, perhaps with even more Genie. And the new Carpets all lead me to believe that Tokyo Disney Resort will be taken over by Genie come Summer of 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
      Hmm...quite vague and scarce on information. But.......
      Well, excuse me.

I put up the basics from the information sent to me this morning. Sorry I didn't have enough time to translate from Japanese the details for each event since I'm at work right now.
      JoeInJpn
      Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
      For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
      Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Comment

Sorry I didn't have enough time to translate from Japanese the details for each event since I'm at work right now.
        And its certainly apreciated you taking the time to post the information that you were provided so quickly.

So it seems unless Fantasmic lives up to the hype. The 10th looks like its a bit lite on new offerings. Very disapointed with whats been annouced up to now. This kind of reminds me of the weak effort put into TDL's 25th Anniversary. With such a weak line up, I am really expecting some impressive stuff for Summer, Halloween and Christmas to make up for more lame Anniversary meet & smlie shows. Although I welcome the Character Greeting Trail and the return of Your Table is Waiting.
        Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

Joe thank you so much for the information! So it does sounds like they will modify "Meet and Smile" to the "Be Magical" theme. That resort is going to be overwhelmed with people at the end of April.

:love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:
          We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
          Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Comment

Looks like a great line up.
            Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
            Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum

Comment

...and what is WDW doing for their 40th???

Thanks Joe for the info. See you at TDS on 4/23th.

Comment

Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                Hmm...quite vague and scarce on information...
                Originally posted by JoeInJpn View Post
                Well, excuse me.

I put up the basics from the information sent to me this morning. Sorry I didn't have enough time to translate from Japanese the details for each event since I'm at work right now.
                Hey, Joe, I'm thinking he meant that OLC/TDR was being vague and scarce with releasing preview info - I didn't think he was talking about you at all. At least I hope that's the case, cos, seriously the content and the kindness of your contributions are pretty universally appreciated around here.

THANK YOU for this update - ありがとう! But...am I the only one who stupidly thought the TDS anniversary events would begin on September 4? Don't get me wrong - I'm happy to start celebrating early.^^ It just seems strange to me that its 10th Anniversary will actually start almost half a year early and last for only about six months after the real anniversary date, instead of a full year...

Originally posted by Malin View Post
                ...The 10th looks like its a bit lite on new offerings. Very disapointed with whats been annouced up to now. This kind of reminds me of the weak effort put into TDL's 25th Anniversary.reeting Trail and the return of Your Table is Waiting...
                I :love:d the 25th Anniversary!!! Of course, it helps that I actually enjoy surrendering to hype machines, that I have a thing for magic keys and saw that as my one-and-only chance to pretend it was "Kingdom Hearts in the parks!" and that I was sincerely moved by the "Unlock Your Dreams" theme. What might have helped most, though, was that I'd never been in a Disney park before that, so it was all new for me. Still, the Christmas show was also WAY better than last year's parade, and the Dreams Within finale was much more to my liking than Club Monsters, Inc (which I'd forgotten until this post), though that is a matter of taste.

Disney in Japan is all about the park experience and a HUGE part of that is the merchandise. Where American park fans resent over-merchandising and "gimmicks" - like the best teddy bear in the world, for example^^ - for Japanese fans, this is what Disney means. Many Japanese fans have never even seen one Disney film (except PIXAR), but nearly every Japanese person, I'd wager - Disney fan or not - has experienced the "luxury rush" of TDR-quality cute. In a nation where even the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department has its own cute mascot character, OLC's quality vision is second to none. That's really where the "Disney magic" comes from in Japan. (I think I knew this, but just now understand why Duffy is SUCH a different character in the US than here, probably forever - the whole "Disney experience" is based on something fundamentally different.)

As long as the merchandise is high quality and well-designed and the shows are unique and well-produced, tons of brand-new attractions aren't necessary to make the anniversary successful or feel special, I think.

Anyway, I'm very excited about Your Table is Waiting because I've heard so many great things about Disney a la Carte, which was just before I started going. I'm also hopeful that Jasmine's Flying Carpets helps get more people in Arabian Coast and on Sinbad's Storybook Voyage!

And I'm hopeful there will be a lot of "retro" merchandising like there was at TDR in 2008. Mainly, I'm hoping to see a return of classic Duffy items, like the mugs with ears as handles, tea sets with medallions, metal dangle straps, stamp sets, etc...now with Shellie May! After all the costume releases echoing older designs in the past year, the time seems ripe to do something similar with older character goods. That would be magical!
                Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-21-2010, 04:30 PM. Reason: Reply to Malin...din' wanna double post.^^

Comment

Duffyday, I really enjoy reading your insightful posts! With regards to most Japanese not seeing any Disney movies, how do they or do they even know the legacy of Walt Disney? I know that the TDR website has a little blurb on him. But does the Disney brand mean anything to them?

We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.

Comment

So is the Greeting Show "Be Magical!" going to be different from Meet And Smile? If it is Meet And Smile why would it end on June 30th?

Comment

Originally posted by jrh1985 View Post
                      So is the Greeting Show "Be Magical!" going to be different from Meet And Smile? If it is Meet And Smile why would it end on June 30th?
                      Good question, I did not even notice that! Probably just a small "overlay" to Meet and Smile. But why would you want to end it before even the real "10th Anniversary" date.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeInJpn View Post
                        Well, excuse me.

Oh! I am sorry Joe! I didn't mean to blame you! I apologize if it came across that way. I always appreciate you translating for us, I just figured that the press release had this much information and that's what I was a bit frustrated with.

Joe, I thank you so much for all the effort you put into getting us all this Tokyo info all the time!

Comment

If you think the 10th anniversary offerings for Tokyo DisneySea are weak, then you don't recall what it was like the first season Fantasmic opened at Disneyland. It was thrilling--the park was packed. A great show like that (like World of Color) really lifts everyone's day to another level. And Fantasmic is still doing that at Disneyland over a decade later.

So, I expect Tokyo DisneySea's version of Fantasmic to be spectacular and more than satisfy everyone's expectations for the 10th anniversary. I'll have to wait until October 2011 to see it, and I can't wait. It will keep a lot of people in the park until much later all year round.
                          Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisMT81 View Post
                            Duffyday, I really enjoy reading your insightful posts! With regards to most Japanese not seeing any Disney movies, how do they or do they even know the legacy of Walt Disney? I know that the TDR website has a little blurb on him. But does the Disney brand mean anything to them?
                            I'm from Japan (now live in the US). When I look back then, duffydad is right. I've never really watched any of Disney movies except The Little Mermaid. I think most Japanese are familiar with Disney characters only because they all know the original stories, like Sleeping Beauty, Cindellera, Snow White, etc, through books and Mickey and the gang are well known because of the Disney branding - not because they watched the TV shows or movies. In fact, I started to watch Disney movies once I had my girls here. Disney does an excellent branding business and that's probably one of the reasons why Japanese are into "merchandise".

For most Japanese TDR visitors, Disney branding = Mickey and the gang. I don't think they even think about Walt and his legacy (except those hardcore fans) when they visit the parks. They only think about Disney characters and the special experiences, imho, because that's how I was when I lived there. lol.
                            Last edited by voleball; 10-21-2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Thinking more about it, my first time to WDW was in 87 I believe and I was 6 years old. I had never seen a Mickey Mouse cartoon either. But I am guessing somehow through my parents I knew who he was. I remember I had a tantrum in the middle of downtown Disney because I wanted the 'santa mickey" and yes of course my parents bought it. My mother still has that Mickey plush 23 year later....

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X