Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working for Disney

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Working for Disney

    With today's economy I have joined the many who have lost their jobs. After almost 30 years working for the same company I find myself searching through the job market looking for work. My background is in vending repair which includes all kinds of mechanical systems. I'm one of those guys that can fix almost anything. Most of the seminars I attend say to look at this misfortune as a chance to start a new career. So in that with that idea, my ideal job would be working at WDW as a ride and attraction maintenance person. Get those screens running that are out, make sure all those dolls at its a small world keep dancing.

    My question....for those of you still with me other than applying at "Disney Careers.com" is the any other avenues for me to attack? Can someone on the inside point me in a direction?

    Thanks in advance for any tips.

    Joe

  • #2
    Re: Working for Disney

    Hi Joe, I cant answer your question but I feel your pain. I was "globalized" after 21 years when my job was sent to Indonesia. Now I'm experiencing everything you probably are, not the least of which is that I'll probably not be going to Disney anytime soon. Hang in there buddy.

    Scott

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Working for Disney

      Joe, Times are tough all over, so I am not sure Disney is even hiring. With that said, If you call the JOB-Line 407-824-1000, you can hear recorded information on how to apply for maintenance jobs. I know they only accept resumes for any of the maintenance trades. Hey, there is a huge vending machine presence at WDW. All the backstage areas and break rooms have at least a machine or two. I am not sure who the vendor is, but I do know that they are not owned or operated by Disney.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Working for Disney

        Originally posted by FloridaChris View Post
        Joe, Times are tough all over, so I am not sure Disney is even hiring. With that said, If you call the JOB-Line 407-824-1000, you can hear recorded information on how to apply for maintenance jobs. I know they only accept resumes for any of the maintenance trades. Hey, there is a huge vending machine presence at WDW. All the backstage areas and break rooms have at least a machine or two. I am not sure who the vendor is, but I do know that they are not owned or operated by Disney.
        I believe the vending company is Aramak.

        As for jobs, I find is easy to believe that Disney is hiring but at the same time I cannot. There's constantly people going in and going out of employment with Disney in ALL positions. I'm sure you will get something but I don't expect the work and pay to be top quality but it WILL still be Disney.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Working for Disney

          From what I hear Disney right now has a hiring freeze. The best way to get a job at Disney is "in person". You want to go directly to the casting center and apply right there. Disney does, as said before, pay rather poorly, tough for men who are looking to support a family.

          Aramark does handle a lot of the vending machines & food supply. Aramark is actually owned by Michael Eisner's wife & family. You could try applying directly to them for a position here in Orlando. You may not get a job connected with Disney but you will be a step closer by being here in Orlando.

          When applying at the casting center, they will test you & advise you as to the best place for you to be. They also do a through background check.

          You can try calling the main switch board at 407-824-2222 and ask to be transferred to the casting center, but again the best way is to go there in person.....
          Lindsy - former Res Center CM (10 years)
          www.magicaltravel.com Sponsors of the Disney Cruise Line Forum:thumbup:

          Look for this logo when booking Disney.
          Lynmagicaltravel@aol.com
          Favorite Sites for latest news:
          WDWNewToday.com
          WaltDisneyBoards.com
          DisneyReporter.net.ms

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Working for Disney

            you can go to monster.com they post jobs on that site good luck

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Working for Disney

              Originally posted by Lindsy1052 View Post
              From what I hear Disney right now has a hiring freeze.
              If that is the case, how come there were so many newly hired CMs "earning their ears" while taking that Traditions walk around the MK yesterday? I counted at least 20 of them being taken around by mentors...

              But as a former CM.. the day I left Disney, I did not turn around and looked back. This company simply does not pay a livable salary, and I would only recommend working there if 1) you are a student and need extra income on part time job, or 2) if you are a retiree.. and need a job to get you out of your boredom at home.. but do not really need the money to pay bills, or 3) if you need an in-between income after loosing your job with some other company.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Working for Disney

                There is indeed a hiring freeze. The people doing the Traditions class is the new group of College Program kids (I use the term Kids loosely.. we had a 40-something year old woman come to ToonTown the other day, it seemed out of place to me.)

                Go to casting and apply. Its the best route that you can do. Or, join one of the unions we have here and then work your way into maintenance. They have a lot of apprenticeship programs once you are in the company. What you eventually would want to be is a Ride and Show Tech.

                Aramark does not do the actual vending on property. They simply buy up the machines or lease them. There is an outside company that comes by and fixes them. I will keep an eye out and let you know when I go to my next shift on Thursday.
                GRD999 - The Ghost Relations Dept.

                http://ghostrelationsdept.blogspot.com/
                http://www.theghoulishgallery.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Working for Disney

                  aw you had a bad luck at a wrong time mate...
                  btw where exactly at you at? there are lots of hiring on the web just need to state your specific location?
                  just do what you think...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Working for Disney

                    Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                    If that is the case, how come there were so many newly hired CMs "earning their ears" while taking that Traditions walk around the MK yesterday? I counted at least 20 of them being taken around by mentors...

                    But as a former CM.. the day I left Disney, I did not turn around and looked back. This company simply does not pay a livable salary, and I would only recommend working there if 1) you are a student and need extra income on part time job, or 2) if you are a retiree.. and need a job to get you out of your boredom at home.. but do not really need the money to pay bills, or 3) if you need an in-between income after loosing your job with some other company.
                    There are a zillion departments in Disney. As a cast member if you transfer to another department you go through training all over again for that department, hence the "Earning My Ears" tags....which may be what you were seeing. Also, those on the college program also were the "Earning My Ears" tags...but they are in a hiring freeze right now..
                    Lindsy - former Res Center CM (10 years)
                    www.magicaltravel.com Sponsors of the Disney Cruise Line Forum:thumbup:

                    Look for this logo when booking Disney.
                    Lynmagicaltravel@aol.com
                    Favorite Sites for latest news:
                    WDWNewToday.com
                    WaltDisneyBoards.com
                    DisneyReporter.net.ms

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Working for Disney

                      Originally posted by GRD999 View Post
                      There is indeed a hiring freeze. The people doing the Traditions class is the new group of College Program kids (I use the term Kids loosely.. we had a 40-something year old woman come to ToonTown the other day, it seemed out of place to me.)

                      Go to casting and apply. Its the best route that you can do. Or, join one of the unions we have here and then work your way into maintenance. They have a lot of apprenticeship programs once you are in the company. What you eventually would want to be is a Ride and Show Tech.

                      Aramark does not do the actual vending on property. They simply buy up the machines or lease them. There is an outside company that comes by and fixes them. I will keep an eye out and let you know when I go to my next shift on Thursday.
                      Thanks for all the information, and the numbers as well. I'm in New England now, and all tho I'm not of retirement age yet its not that far away. A Disney job might fit the budget ok. Aramark doesn't look like its hiring right now, but if there is some other contractor that takes care of the machines that would be a good name to have as well.

                      Thanks again, and keep the info coming !!!

                      Joe

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Working for Disney

                        No problem! Our Ops Manager for Fantasyland told me that they expect the freeze to lift in March and April. She said we are just in a lull right now because they anticipated with the economy for us to be in a rough patch when in reality, we've had more guests this year than last year. Oh well, I'm holding on even with the terrible hours until my full time spot opens.
                        GRD999 - The Ghost Relations Dept.

                        http://ghostrelationsdept.blogspot.com/
                        http://www.theghoulishgallery.com/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Working for Disney

                          I would hope the freeze will end by this weekend since the weather forecast calls for the temperature to drop into the 20Fs tomorrow evening.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Working for Disney

                            All WDW vending which is not in a Aramart cafeteria is run by Canteen Vending Services Welcome to Canteen.com Maybe you could work for them at their WDW base in the Admin Area warehouse DC-3 (formerally the historic US Steel plant they build the rooms for the Contemporary and Poly there) Once on property it's easier to learn about other opportunities. The maintanence department is union and pays better than most areas and being a "right to work" state you don't have to be in or reccomended by the union to get hired. Generally you have to wait for an opening situation while you build your contacts. The turn over is lower than other areas because its a skilled labor. Best of luck.:thumbup:

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Working for Disney

                              Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                              If that is the case, how come there were so many newly hired CMs "earning their ears" while taking that Traditions walk around the MK yesterday? I counted at least 20 of them being taken around by mentors...
                              There's a freeze on new hires but there are still the College program and internal transfers. I actually met an ex dream squad member on my last trip (Elton Green aka "Hamburger" to most guests, he was also the guy who blew the pixie dust in the YOAMD commercials...This was actually the seccond or third time I've met him and he is a really nice guy BTW) who had been with the company for years retraining for guest relations at Epcot. Elton is close to a legend there at WDW probaly should be teaching the guys training him, but it's good to see that CM training is still a priority as many companies have been cutting back on that for years.

                              So a long story short; just because they are "earning their ears" doesn't mean they are new CM's Just new to that particular position or they may have let their training lapse and have to go through the transition again.

                              With the rumored job cuts, the new hire freeze and normal attrition I would expect to actually see more folks "earning thier ears" as the cross train personel in new positions to take up the slack as employee totals drop.
                              Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X