• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mkcoastie
    Mkcoastie
    • Apr 2008

[Idea] move a legacy?

Well, on our recent trip to the world I got to thinking about what could be done to improve the parks without spending too much during the ressesion (although, I think this is when Disney needs to be pumping some cash in, so they can be ready for the recovery). I struck me, that the mouse could get three cheers and a round of beer...(perferably "dark Beer") from everyone on micechatters, simply by removing things. The obvious on is the the giant hat of guady-uglyness over at the studios. But, just as important is one that my wife (whom bless her heart is not a Disney fanatic....but humors me well) even noticed. to quote her on her first trip to EPCOT......

"what are those ugly pillar things....they don't seem to fit with everything else?"

yes, I'm refering to leave a legacy. now it strikes me that out of respect for those who payed good money to leave their own legacy, they can't just get rid of theese. So, what I was thinking was "legacy garden." this can be a beatifully landscaped garden off to the side somewhere in EPCOT. the pillars can be moved there, and with the addition of some benches and what-not it could be a rather peacful rest stop. I think that would keep the legacy, but would remove it as the focos of the entrance plaza. what do you think?
    Last edited by mkcoastie; 04-25-2009, 04:08 AM. Reason: needs to start using the "preview" button
  • TDLFAN
    Banned User
    • Feb 2005

Re: move a legacy?

I say.. bulldoze it for good.

Comment

• Jspider
      • Jan 2005

it's strange but somehow I think landscaping would make the whole graveyard comment that people always talk about even worse o_O
      "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

• lazyboy97O
        враг народа
        • Mar 2005

I think moving the existing monoliths would be a bad idea. They were designed to frame focus on Spaceship Earth. Sitting in a garden somewhere they would have no focal point. They would just be an empty frame.

A garden with more wall like elements would be even more reminiscent of a war memorial.

I'd be interested in knowing if the contract specified any sort of degree of prominence, or just display. A display somewhere inside the central plaza buildings could possibly work. Maybe somebody could figure out a way to make it interactive and toss it in Innoventions.

Comment

• FutureProbeMe
          MiceChatter
          • Dec 2008

I hate those monoliths too, but there is no ethical way to take care of it. People paid good money. I say, bring back the fountain that was in front of SpaceShip Earth!
          "Those who say that something can not be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it."- If anyone know who said this, please let me know.

Comment

• Sir.Mouse
            MiceChatter
            • Sep 2007

well framed or not, Spaceship Earth would be better without them. I think the should be relocated to the trash. OR at least embed them with LED's to create the illusion that they are shimmering, LED's can fix anything.

Comment

• lazyboy97O
              враг народа
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
              well framed or not, Spaceship Earth would be better without them. I think the should be relocated to the trash. OR at least embed them with LED's to create the illusion that they are shimmering, LED's can fix anything.
              I was not saying that they frame Spaceship Earth well, just that that is what they do and without something to frame they would look even worse.

I think you mean fiber optics, like they have in the Hollywood Tower Hotel sign.

Comment

• migy21
                Sock Puppet
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                +1

Comment

• Sir.Mouse
                  MiceChatter
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                  I think you mean fiber optics, like they have in the Hollywood Tower Hotel sign.
                  fiber optics or LEDs. I think they make LEDs small enough to make it look like pixy dust.

Comment

• aimster
                    Waiting for my E-Ticket

• May 2005

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                    Implode it, then bulldoze away the remains and bring back a new version of the plexiglass thingy that used to be there. Bring the entrance plaza back to its former glory.

Comment

• MarkTwain
                      All-American
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                      Implode it, then bulldoze away the remains and bring back a new version of the plexiglass thingy that used to be there. Bring the entrance plaza back to its former glory.
                      Do you have any pictures? Sounds interesting.

And although they do a decent job of framing Spaceship Earth, they still are still an annoying eyesore that causes bottleneck problems. And I hate how they painted red rocks on the beams holding up the sphere.

I think it would be fair to the people that Left a Legacy if they relocated them to some other prominent location... like in the plaza in front of the turnstiles.

I think I read that Disney wants to move them, but they are waiting for some contract to expire.

Comment

• lazyboy97O
                        враг народа
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
                        Do you have any pictures? Sounds interesting.
                        本系以培養土木工程專業人才,進行前瞻性學術研究為目標,教學及研究領域均衡而專精,包括大地工程、結構工程、水利工程、交通工程、營建工程與管理、電腦輔助工程及測量與空間資訊等學術領域。

本系以培養土木工程專業人才,進行前瞻性學術研究為目標,教學及研究領域均衡而專精,包括大地工程、結構工程、水利工程、交通工程、營建工程與管理、電腦輔助工程及測量與空間資訊等學術領域。

More can easily be found online.

I think I read that Disney wants to move them, but they are waiting for some contract to expire.
                        My understanding is that Disney contractually is free to move them all that they want. The conditions are only that they be displayed for a certain numbers of years, not that they must be displayed in their current manner.

Comment

• qtchiki23
                          New MiceChatter
                          • Apr 2009

I am so appalled at this notion, specifically because my family did pay the money to have the pictures put in place and it is tradition that during our family reunions at EPCOT, we all stand in front of our monoliths and take pictures. It's our own little piece of Disney and we want to keep it like that!

Comment

• Coastierox
                            Mostly Harmless.
                            • Apr 2005

If they removed it where would I play hide and go seek with my kids when we are leaving the park???

But... if it was gone it would be WAY easier to photoshop the Death Star over Spaceship Earth!
                            He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
                            follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
                            DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Comment

• FutureProbeMe
                              MiceChatter
                              • Dec 2008

I say, build a whole new Epcot. Neigh... EPCOT Center! The entrance should look like it did in 1982. Also, bring back the old figment, Horizons, World of Motion, The Living Seas, Wonders of Life (Or at least BodyWars) and Communicore!
                              "Those who say that something can not be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it."- If anyone know who said this, please let me know.

Comment

• Ghostbuster626
                                Banned User
                                • Jan 2005

bulldoze the graveyard

its the only satisfactory option

Comment

• ti2gr
                                  • Jan 2005

The fountain is still there, the only thing missing are the acrylic pillars that were there. At night they were lit from underneath and changed colors (red-blue-yellow)and during the day they reflected the sun. At the top of each pillar was the original EPCOT Center logo. They need to bring that back.

The whole opening courtyard was a garden and pathways led from the turnstiles to the area under Spaceship Earth. The Mausaleum that is there now is just ugly.

Comment

• tasman
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jul 2006

Offer compensation to customers who paid, and bulldoze it. And I hope they bulldoze that Hat while they're at it...no compensation necessary. That graveyard is symbolic of the sickly state of Future World since the mid 1990s.
                                    Down with the Hat

Comment

• tasman
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jul 2006

Can we go back to the Future...please?

First pic by rbglasson, second pic by John Corigliano:

Down with the Hat

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X