This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Three WDW trip planning questions

I am planning our first family trip to WDW. My wife and I have both been there before, but my kids (10, 8 and 6) have not. We are looking at spending a week during President's week in 2011. I have three questions:

1) How bad will the crowds be? I have heard conflicting comments from quiet to crowded.
    2) Our plan only allows us to visit one water park. Which one is best? Or is only one typically open in February?
    3) With the Fantasyland refurbishment, what attractions will be closed at that time?

Re: Three WDW trip planning questions

Originally posted by Slimshady View Post
    I am planning our first family trip to WDW. My wife and I have both been there before, but my kids (10, 8 and 6) have not. We are looking at spending a week during President's week in 2011. I have three questions:

1) How bad will the crowds be? I have heard conflicting comments from quiet to crowded.
    As a rule of thumb any Holiday's, especially Federal and School holidays you will find the parks more crowded than usual and the hotel prices will be marked up as well. Many folks do not want to take the kids out of school so they gravitate to these times.

2) Our plan only allows us to visit one water park. Which one is best? Or is only one typically open in February?
    You may not have a choice, as you hinted they do close down the water parks and some hotel pools for refurbishments but at least one waterpark is always open. Both Water parks are really neat, without knowing what your family's ages and like are it's harder to recommend which would work best for you so here's some of the differences:

BOTH Parks -have the basics: Wave pools, lazy rivers, slides and raft rides, a big feature slide, and of course kids water play areas.

Typhoon Lagoon - Has the better wave pool by far, in fact that's really the focus of the park, and you can actually surf in it - literally with surfboards. The waves may be a bit intense for smaller children at times though but my then 8 yr old loved it. They also have live sharks/stingray pool that you can snorkel for free or for a small fee hang out with surface scuba for about an hour. They also have a water roller coaster called the Crush and Gusher which is a lot of fun.

Blizzard Beach - Known more for it's water slides and is more popular with teens. It does have a really nice kiddie area which I think is a little better than TL's, and also has the winter summer-land mini golf course attached to it as well. They have a longer family raft ride and they themed the lazy river a little nicer than at TL.

Of the two I find myself liking TL a bit more since it was a wider variety of things and a bit more shade as the trees and all are older than at BB, but again your tastes may differ.

3) With the Fantasyland refurbishment, what attractions will be closed at that time?
    I have not seen anything officially released yet, I would guess probably not too much more than is already behind the wall right now in Fantasyland.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

President's Day will be busier than normal since the kids have the day off school, so a lot of the locals will probably come out. The rest of the week? Probably not too bad.

As for the water parks, usually one is open while the other is down for refurb. But beware the weather might not be optimal for visiting a water park. February this year was FREEZING by Florida standards (and in some areas, quite literally as there were several freeze/frost advisorys). But it could be different next year. But in the 10 years I've been living in Florida, it's been downright cold to somewhat tolerable in January/February most of the time. As the time comes closer to your trip, keep an eye on the 10 day forecast for Orlando. That'll give you a better idea on how you should pack.

Comment

Gotta agree with Aimster. I would plan on it most likely being way too cold for a water park. We've even tried to go in April and been just miserably cold.

I don't think the crowds will be too bad. Certainly not as bad as Christmas, Thanksgiving, Spring Break or Summer. The colder weather is nice too, honestly. You don't get so wiped out and cranky. You're picking a good time to go.

Not sure what will be closed. That's a long time from now. Right now, there's contruction walls up, hiding where they are working, and nothing closed.

Enjoy your trip!

Comment

1) Crowds will be elevated. Count on them being equivalent to a typical summer day.

2) This one is easy! As was said earlier, only one will be open at the time.

3) TTF will be the only area of the MK that will be closed (besides teh Grotto and PPS) for the expansion. All FL rides (except Dumbo at some point) should remain open during the expansion.

Comment

Thanks Jerren.

Comment

Thanks Aimster. I'm a little worried about the weather too, but the kids REALLY want to do a water park. I'm leaning toward getting the not getting the water park option on the Magic Your Way pass and just pay for one day of a water park if the weather is good. The cost is pretty much the same.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Thanks, Krankenstein. I've been surprised I haven't seem more MK Expansion threads/pictures. I know in So Cal we are getting DCA expansion Project Tracker threads and bi-weekly picture updates.

Comment

Thanks, Krankenstein. I've been surprised I haven't seem more MK Expansion threads/pictures. I know in So Cal we are getting DCA expansion Project Tracker threads and bi-weekly picture updates.
                    That's the great thing about the expansion. They are literally expanding. They are using plots of land that have not been used in ages to expand FL out. Like I said, all of the major rides (except maybe Dumbo) will remain open during the construction. Last I head, we are suppose to lose TTF after this summer.

Comment

President's day is one of the busiest times of the year. You'll definitely need to have a plan. If you're staying on the grounds, take advantage of EMH - we usually go the week before - by Friday of that week, the place starts to fill up - I'd get hopper options on your passes - that way, if you walk into a park, MK for example, and it's packed that day, you can go somewhere else. The good news is - the cheerleaders are usually gone by then. The band kids have moved in but they are a different bunch. If you are arriving on the weekend, you might want to go over to Magic Kingdom on Sunday evening for EMH (that's usually the night they're open late that time of year) and save the "day" trip to MK for a Wednesday - that's the lightest crowd day - go early that day and ride as much of the "big stuff" as you can before everybody else descends on the place.

As for the weather, I've been there in February when it was 70 - 80 degrees and I've been there and it was 40-50 degrees. One year, we started out in winter jackets and ended the week in shorts and t-shirts. Make sure you bring something warm for the evenings.

Have a great time.

Comment

Thanks celticdar.

Comment

That's probably because the Disneyland regulars live in the area and go there pretty much every week to get photos. Here in Florida, we're a bit more spread out, so we only get to the parks a handful of times throughout the year (I won't be going until late July myself).

Comment

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
                            BOTH Parks -have the basics: Wave pools...
                            I have yet to visit Blizzard Beach, but I didn't think their central lagoon had any type of wave machine in it.

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                              I have yet to visit Blizzard Beach, but I didn't think their central lagoon had any type of wave machine in it.
                              It does, just not huge surfing waves...more bobbing than anything else.

As one who has visited during Presidents Week many times, it really isn't too bad. Someone above said a typical summer day, and that's about right...really have never had a problem being there that week, and would welcome a chance to go back the same time.

I agree with the water parks as well. There might be a warmer day here or there during the week, but generally I think it will be too cold as well.
                              It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X