Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney to start playing nasty with Universal?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] Disney to start playing nasty with Universal?

So this was reported on Screamscape... i know, i know... but it confirms rumblings I have been hearing with the people I know all over.

Industry News

So I guess the question is, will the future management of Comcast care about the parks enough to retain the themepark rights for Marvel at IOA or will they take cash in hand (me thinks they will take cash in hand).

I don't like nasty fights. I like good old fashioned one-up-manship.

Thoughts?
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Re: Disney to start playing nasty with Universal?

I'm not sure why Disney would want theme park rights to Marvel all that badly. Marvel wouldn't be the greatest fit for their theme parks, and surely they have enough ideas for attractions that are more "Disney-esque".

I imagine Universal would be fine giving up the rights. Marvel Superhero Island isn't that interesting of a theme. The Hulk and Dr. Doom attractions could be easily re-themed. The only big loss would be the Spider-Man attraction, but that could become an East coast version of the Transformers attraction.

They could re-invest any buy-out proceeds into Expanding Harry Potter, which is clearly their bread and butter at the moment anyway.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Since when is Screamscape a legit source for this sorta thing?
      M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
      sigpic
      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by FigmentJedi View Post
        Since like...umm..I don't know, never.

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
          So I guess the question is, will the future management of Comcast care about the parks enough to retain the themepark rights for Marvel at IOA or will they take cash in hand (me thinks they will take cash in hand).
          I think that decision lies more with The Blackstone Group than it does with Comcast. If the price is good enough, I think they would accept the offer. I do not think they will voluntarily move away from Marvel, as they are not paying anything different and they do not seem concerned with actually being a big, unified fighter against Disney. Blackstone will give up Marvel when it is in their best financial interest, they do not care that Universal competes with Disney in other industries as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FigmentJedi View Post
            They've been right a few times. But most of what they post is just gossip. It's still good to know what people are gossiping about.

Comment

I wish I still had the link but concept images of a Marvel Park blew my mind when I saw them.
              Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
                I'm not sure why Disney would want theme park rights to Marvel all that badly. Marvel wouldn't be the greatest fit for their theme parks, and surely they have enough ideas for attractions that are more "Disney-esque".

I imagine Universal would be fine giving up the rights. Marvel Superhero Island isn't that interesting of a theme. The Hulk and Dr. Doom attractions could be easily re-themed. The only big loss would be the Spider-Man attraction, but that could become an East coast version of the Transformers attraction.

They could re-invest any buy-out proceeds into Expanding Harry Potter, which is clearly their bread and butter at the moment anyway.
                I can see how awkward if feels for both parks that one company has movie releasing rights while the other has theme park ride rights. Marvel Superhero Island is merely an island for thrill ride people...me I ain't.

As for making that area an extension of Harry Potter...good idea. Since this is on the opposite side of the park from WWOHP, they could make this corner Diagon Alley and the train station. Then Universal just needs to build a train, call it the Hogwarts Express, and have it transport guests from that corner of the park to Hogsmeade on the other side!

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                  I wish I still had the link but concept images of a Marvel Park blew my mind when I saw them.
                  Here is the concept art from the Marvel theme park that was supposed to be built in Dubai

Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Thoughts?
                    Dunno if the Universal rumor is true or not, but it's a fact that for a quarter century, Disney business & legal have prided themselves on fighting 100% no-holds-barred nasty. In big deals or small, they've been the Sultans of Scorched Earth since the first day Michael, Jeffrey and Frank drove on the lot.
                    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Really? ?
                      I am traveling now.

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurIhde View Post
                        Really? ?
                        This is The Biz -- "take no prisoners" has been SOP for over a century. When Michael, Jeffrey and Frank came to Disney from Paramount, it's no accident that they were called (with a combination of fear, loathing and admiration) the Paramount Mafia. And don't shed any tears for Uni -- they've been masters of hardball since Carl Laemmle's day.
                        "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                        Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                        imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurIhde View Post
                          Really? ?
                          Any major company with the idea of staying one plays this way in a capitalist society should not be that big of a shock to you!
                          BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

I don't know if this is true or not, but reading that blurb makes me question the "nasty" part. If Disney is intent on buying out the theme park rights and the term "buying out" still means what it used to mean in business (one party making an offer to purchase something, the second party agreeing or renegotiating another price, both parties coming to an amiable agreement and money changing hands to close the deal), then this would hardly be a hostile takeover. Now, the arm twisting and forceful conversations over the terms would be a different matter entirely. It might be interesting to be a fly on the wall for that. As long as Disney is willing to pay a fair price for those rights, and aren't trying to con their way through the negotiations, this sounds like business as usual.

Comment

Here is the concept art from the Marvel theme park that was supposed to be built in Dubai

The art is impressive but the overview of the park looks like a lot of roller coasters - not my cup of tea. Like Busch Gardens, it looks like a very expensive place for me to walk around and have lunch - but for thrill ride lovers, it'll probably be a cool place to go.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X