Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The changing of Walt Disney World........ is this "normal"????

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report The changing of Walt Disney World........ is this "normal"????

Airport to resort: Perfect. Love the Magic Express. No delays, no luggage problems.

Resort: Port Orleans, French Quarter. Theme Parks:
    Magic Kingdom: EPCOT:
    Hollywood Studios: Animal Kingdom: Only spent one day in this park too. Huge holiday tree out front. Yeti was working when we rode EE. Flights of Wonder is always great to see. Since it was cooler than we normally see it there, the safari had a lot of animals out and about - it was the best one we had ever done. I know Disney loves their parades, but in this park, it makes it just about impossible to get around when they rope off the roads.
    Food/Dining:
    Magic Kingdom:EPCOT:
    Employees, good and bad:
    So, in closing this section:
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 12-29-2010, 07:11 PM. Reason: Removed CM names per board policy

Re: The changing of Walt Disney World........ is this "normal"????

nice trip report. good job. I completely understand what you're saying about the other guests in the park. I usually go to the parks alone and I'm almost always on autopilot. However, I ALWAYS be polite and say things like "excuse me" as I make my way through the crowds.
    "Ian, in life, whatever you do, DO NOT give up your dreams and goals of the past, present, and future and only then will you be successful!" - Walter Elias Disney

Comment

You: I'd like to speak w/ the staff about the scooter prob.
      Random Guy: Whatever. I'll just put u on hold until I eat my cheese and money sandwich!
      (elevator music)

Does this sound like what u might get? That would SUCK!!!!
      Jessie is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My fav part in 2 is:
      Buzz: clears throat)
      I just wanted to say you're a bright young woman with a beautiful "yarnful" of hair... er, "hairful" of yarn. It's...uh...woah. (clears throat) I must go!
      Jessie: Well, aren't you the sweetest space toy I ever met!
      Buster: (barking)
      Slinky: What's that? Bark, bark? Uh...this fellow says he needs to go out back for a little "private time"!
      Jessie: That critter needs help! (jumps on toy car) Yodle-ay-HEEE-HOOO!!!!!
      Buzz: (wings suddenly pop open)

Also, my fav part in 3 is:
      Jessie: turns on Spanish music)
      Buzz: involenterily starts dancing) I...I don't know what came over me!
      Jessie: goo-goo eyes) Just go with it, Buzz!
      (Then, they start doing the Paso Doble to a Spanish version of "You've Got a Friend in Me". Towards the end of the dance, Woody tosses Jessie a rose to catch in her mouth. It's awesome.)

:meet:Go to the EBHO threads!!! They need YOU!:meet:

Comment

Hi Brent -

Re: The scooter brigade, welcome to America. Sad, sad state of affairs. Did you see "Wall-E"? That lifestyle of never moving a finger isn't so far off, I fear. It's ridiculous. And besides Disney, several offsite rental companies are capitalizing on this trend in a BIG way...notice all those advertisements on the back of said scooters? Pfft.

I actually never see rudeness from guests at WDW; then again I only go once a year at best. I'll be on the lookout for that at the end of January when I return.
        Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

Last edited by SpectroMan; 12-28-2010, 08:44 AM. Reason: double post sorrt
          Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip!!! Nice to hear some of the quality in the food is starting to return..

Originally posted by proradvlx View Post
            But the main change that I have seen over the last eight years has to do with the other vacationers in the park with you. Every year I have noticed that people are getting ruder and ruder, and more pushy. They don’t care if they walk right out in front of you, hit you, or make you stop suddenly. And what ever happened to “I’m sorry”, or “excuse me”? It’s as if people are going through the park on autopilot. Or buried face down in their iPhone/Pad/whatever. Wake up, look around.
            And why is it that for some members of the human race seem to think they will go totally deaf unless they are standing side by side each other when walking? And where did the system of one person of a group getting in line for a ride, and once they are close to the entrance, they hop on the cell phone, and call the rest of the family, who then proceeds to push their way up to that one person. That is so rude to the people that have stood in line. Also, I saw this several times down there, and this has to stop: People are renting those handicapped motorized scooters, who have no need for them. I understand that there are people out there who truly need these units, and I have no problem with that. But the rest are renting these because they have figured a way to screw the system, and you and me with it - by rolling up in one of these, they, and their entire family, get to go to the front of the line, for whatever ride they are going into. Where you and I may have to wait two hours to get through the line, they don’t feel they have to, so they abuse the handicapped system. Personally, that also sends a message to me from Disney corp stating that they are more interested in scooter rental money, than trying to enforce a rule to cut this down. Well, here’s an easy rule: The person on the scooter can go to the front of the line, with ONE family member. The rest have to wait in line with everyone else. Abusers will not want to separate their group. I saw one person down in EPCOT, person in mid 40's, rolling around on a scooter, with their dog........ a toy poodle. I thought only service animals could brought into the parks. It’s just being pure lazy.
            Having worked in the airline industry for many years now I can tell you that not all service animals are the blind seeing eye dogs you would imagine. Service animals like that toy poodle can actually be a comfort animal or seizure dog and as long as there is some doctor that signed off on the proper paperwork there's nothing they can do, heck I've seen service animals that were pigs before!

On the scooters as much as I hate to admit it it's pretty much the same deal as long as some doctor signed off on the documentation they can rent and utilize a scooter or wheelchair and there's nothing you can do about it, so doctors wanting an easy paycheck are to blame for the most part on this one. Last time I was there some lady kept hitting me in the ankles with her scooter, I got so mad I almost turned the scooter off and to pull the key on it after she hit my nephew after hitting me for 15 minutes. But once again the law states that if they have the proper documents they have to be allowed that service, even though alot of people abuse the system if they don't follow the law they are open to lawsuit.
            The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
            -George S. Patton

Comment

Great trip report.

We did Christmas last year and Halloween this year. We much prefer Halloween. Christmas has been in a solid state of decline at Disney World for quite some time. They just keep cutting back. But as long as the parks stay packed, you can expect them to keep cutting.

I have also noticed that guests at Disney World seem to be getting ruder each year. But so do the cast members. perhaps the two are linked.

Cast Members once received nearly a week of Traditions training which included endless guest service skills training. No more. If park guests once tried to live up to the high standards set by the Disney park employees, they no longer need to try very hard. There are certainly some GREAT employees at Disney World, but for the most part, not due to their training (unless they have been around for a while).

Disney World is in a strange stage of transition. Some things are getting fixed (Fantasyland, food service, queues at Magic Kingdom) but more budget cutting is going on at the same time (training cuts, holiday decoration cuts, entertainment cuts, etc). Those expecting a near perfect world (as the parks and resorts were 20 years ago) will find much to lament. But there is still lots of wonder left at Disney World. I REALLY hope that management reads these trip reports and notes that the guests DO notice the problems and it DOES make a difference.

Cheers and thank you for your excellent report!

Dusty
              MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

And, one employee at Mouse Gear in EPCOT told us they cannot take items off a window display, as that is WDW policy.
                I was told this policy as well at MK last year. My mom saw a rhinestone Minnie silhouette pin she liked in the window of a shop in Main Street, but they didn't have have the pin in their stock. I asked about the one in the window and was told they don't have they key to open the window display, only the department that does the displays for the stores do. The CM felt really bad because she could see how much my mom wanted that pin. I did end up finding it about 6 months later at DTD though, so in the end it all worked out.

Comment

Great trip report! I agree with all of your findings and I'm glad you were able to have a good time despite having reasons not to.

In regards to the behavior and kindness of park visitors, I'm seeing this everywhere in the world, not just WDW. I think its an overall loss of courtesy within the human race as a whole. When we stop being considerate of others, there's no where to go but down hill as a species.

Saying please, thank you, excuse me..etc.. These things are standard manners and no one is should be above saying any of them.

Comment

Being a former long time retail CM, as inexcusable as it may be- there is unfortunately always room for error based on computer technology, CM attitudes, communication, seasonal help, etc.

It sounds as if there was a definite miscommunication between store locations. I experience the "same" thing in my current position, especially during the holiday season. It is frustrating and inexcusable, but it 'does' happen.

I personally cannot stress "enough" to people that holiday merchandise, regardless of which retail business you are with, is always placed in October floorsets and generally sold out by Thanksgiving. It doesn't matter if it is a clothing item, beauty product, toy, electronic, etc...if you want it for the Holidays- it is generally a limited product and you need to buy it "IN" October- otherwise, tough luck.

However, with me saying that....budget cuts be damned...there is a LOT to be said for Traditions training!! Even if they could not locate the particular size you were seeking, a similar alternative should have been offered to you. Or as we call it 'swap the sale'. There is no reason whatsoever to lose a sale. They should always be more than accomodating to offer a similar alternative.

Positive, clear communication is ALWAYS the key!!

Comment

I agree on the people 100%. I hate the "phalanx" some groups make, refusing to change formation. They take up way too much of a walkway and force you into weird course corrections. There's no need to walk everywhere shoulder to shoulder, folks.

Scooters and strollers are up there too. It seems anyone who gets their hands on one thinks they can use it as a plow.

And cameras. Jeez. Turn the damn flash off or leave it at home, you have absolutely no idea what you're doing, that shot you just took of the light show is not going to come out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                        (snip)

Disney World is in a strange stage of transition. Some things are getting fixed (Fantasyland, food service, queues at Magic Kingdom) but more budget cutting is going on at the same time (training cuts, holiday decoration cuts, entertainment cuts, etc). Those expecting a near perfect world (as the parks and resorts were 20 years ago) will find much to lament. But there is still lots of wonder left at Disney World. I REALLY hope that management reads these trip reports and notes that the guests DO notice the problems and it DOES make a difference.

(snip)

Dusty
                        your mouth to gods ear... couldn't agree with you more

Comment

Amen Lily!!

Change isn't always immediate, but close observations of the complaints along with research is always key.

Comment

It's truly amazing how so many literally check their brains and lose all common sense and manners when they're on vacation. But I see it everywhere, not just at Disney or any other theme park. Just last night I was out shopping and there was a woman kind of blocking the rack of clothes I wanted to look at. I politely said, "Excuse me" and she looked at me like I had 2 heads. I politely said , "Excuse me" again and she just ignored me. Well poo on you too, lady! I swear the human race is slowly de-evolving. I see proof of it nearly every day.

Comment

Scooters. Deep breath.
                              Disclaimer-everyone who needs one this is not for you.
                              Everyone else-get out of the damn scooter! You are the bane of many people's Disney World vacation. Combine scooters with buses and you really have a miserable situation. Everytime I would see a scooter waiting for a bus I would groan before I could stop myself. I have been rammed from behind by a scooter also. A woman decided after the evening fireworks that she could bulldoze her way out with her scooter all the while yelling "move!".
                              Scooters are everywhere in WDW!!
                              I live in the largest city in the US. You would think that if so many people really needed those scooters, I would see more scooters where I am.
                              Someone mentioned that you must show proof from a doctor to rent a scooter. Is that true? Maybe that would solve some of the scooter problems.
                              http://twitter.com/wdwprince

http://youtube.com/wdwprince

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X