Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer and alligators: Have you seen any wildlife in the resort?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Deer and alligators: Have you seen any wildlife in the resort?

Back in the '70s, heading home (the old Navy base) from River Country, on a motorcycle, I came across a deer. Years later, I saw another deer while on a resort bus near the Wilderness Lodge. Most recently (ten years ago), going from TTC to Typhoon Lagoon, everyone on the bus saw one of the biggest alligators I've ever seen near an onramp retention pond. I know it was real because it wasn't there the next day.

So, other than birds and DAK, have you seen any wildlife just wandering around the resort? Hunting isn't allowed, and a substantial portion isn't developed yet, so the resort is like a wildlife refuge.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

Re: Deer and alligators: Have you seen any wildlife in the resort?

If you walk the pathway from the Ft Wilderness campground to the Wilderness Lodge, you will encounter lots of deer. I've seen several of them just hanging around on the pathway.

There's also a video on Youtube of an alligator being spotted in the waters by Splash Mountain. Only God knows how it got there.

Comment

Wow! I'm with you toonaspie on how that got there. If there is an alligator there then what about Rivers of America or whatever its called. Big, Big, place for an alligator to swim. haha. But seriously that is crazy and that someone actually took video of it.

I watched something on Walt Disney World years ago but I can't remember what or where I saw it exactly but they supposedly have a system that monitors if any alligators get in any waterways. Now, as for it getting in the theme park like that is totally weird.

My mom and dad took a picture of an alligator laying on one of the holes of the golf course that has the Mickey sand trap. I think the alligator can keep my ball. My limbs and body aren't worth the trouble of getting a ball back. lol!

Comment

I've seen deer a few times around the resort, usually driving by Fort Wilderness. Also, when staying at Saratoga Springs this past October, we passed by an otter enjoying the sun while we were walking to the pool.
        It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

I saw a couple deer at the Wilderness Lodge back in February. I've also seen lots of rabbits all over the resort. If I ever saw a gator there I'd run away screaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Timon'sGirl View Post
            Wow! I'm with you toonaspie on how that got there. If there is an alligator there then what about Rivers of America or whatever its called. Big, Big, place for an alligator to swim. haha. But seriously that is crazy and that someone actually took video of it.
            That is a video os an aligator in the Rivers of America. It is not in the log flume. RoA is connected directly to Seven Seas Lagoon via a service canal on the west side of the park and by extension to Bay Lake. There are a couple of gates in the canal before actually entering the park but gators can walk around them on land.

Otherwise it came from one of the drainage canals North of the park and crawled overland in to the river.
            sigpic

Originally posted by Phonedave
            Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Comment

I used to walk from Shades of Green to the Polynesian and I used to see a gator sunning himself on the grass on one of the gold courses quite often. Was pretty cool! I have also seen a whole lot of rabbits... a whole lot. They must multiply like, well, rabbits.
              He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
              follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
              DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Comment

My daughter tripped on a rabbit in the middle of Adventureland one time

Comment

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
                  My daughter tripped on a rabbit in the middle of Adventureland one time
                  Silly rabbit TRIPS are for kids! lol
                  Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

I always see deer all over the resort, but mostly in the MK areas. Also saw an armadillo once at Fort Wilderness.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

Comment

I never noticed any until my last trip - one night while making my way up to the monorail platform from MK, I noticed several deer wandering around between the station and the lake. According to the attendants, they're all over the place.

Comment

We probably should point out, Florida is a very extraordinary sandbar and swamp combo--the kind of place we use the words "teeming with life" to describe. I have bald eagles that live in the park across from my condo. A four foot snake lives under my work site.

This environment is very encouraging to life. As much as Disney tries to fend them off, they will get through. The lure of dropped hotdogs and popcorn buckets is too much for many of our four-legged friends. They will be seen, even outside of Animal Kingdom.

I do get a kick out of how much wildlife I can on a daily basis. The fact is, I lived in the hills of Colorado, a remote location, mind you, and did not see this much life. They'll show their heads, daily, if necessary.

Enjoy the free show!

Peace,
                        Roo
                        husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Deer are extremely common to see especially along the roads leading into and out of the Magic kingdom. When the Park closed earlier I would see them every night. Gators do happen in the waters around here. A couple of months ago the Tom Sawyers Island and Country Bear Cast Members had a "Gator Watcher" position in their rotation. There was a gator hanging out near Splash Mountain and someone had to be there to make sure no one fed it.

Comment

I've seen all kinds of critters hanging around the woods by the side of the road. Deer, wild turkeys, even a wild boar one time! I think it's funny I've seen more real wildlife at Disney than anywhere else.
                            Where hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls...Whenever candle lights flicker, where the air is deathly still...That is the time when ghosts are present

Comment

Originally posted by GraceysGirl View Post
                              Deer are extremely common to see especially along the roads leading into and out of the Magic kingdom. When the Park closed earlier I would see them every night. Gators do happen in the waters around here. A couple of months ago the Tom Sawyers Island and Country Bear Cast Members had a "Gator Watcher" position in their rotation. There was a gator hanging out near Splash Mountain and someone had to be there to make sure no one fed it.
                              I grew up in the country and can handle running into most forms of wildlife, particularly your Bambi and Thumper types (and Flower and the old owl for that matter) but I don't do gators. I don't know how people in Florida can handle that - my brother has always managed to live in complexes down there where the houses surround a big lake - they always have to be on alert for those things. No thank you.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X