This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Al Weiss Announces Retirement!

Al Weiss, former head of Disney World, has announced his retirement.

We have some news to share today regarding a key member of the Disney team. Al Weiss, former head of Walt Disney World and current President of Worldwide Operations for all of Disney Parks and Resorts, has decided to retire after almost 39 years with the company. Al started off working at Walt Disney World as a teenager and will leave his imprint on so many aspects of our business. Some of the highlights of his tenure include launching Disney Cruise Line, opening Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World and integrating worldwide park operations. Al’s official retirement date will be November 1 of this year.

Hopefully someone who "gets it" can replace him.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 06-22-2011, 11:59 AM.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Re: Al Weiss Announces Retirement!

This is wonderful news for the parks!

While Mr. Weiss was a loyal employee and a great guy, the parks suffered under his leadership.

This is an opportunity for Disney to make the right changes - especially for the Orlando parks.

We certainly wish Mr. Weiss the best in his retirement and thank him for his years of service to the company.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

I certainly wish Al Weiss the best as he retires.

I wonder who will replace him, since his job is the No.2 of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Hopefully, Tom Staggs picks someone within Parks and Resorts that knows the parks inside and out and understands how to run them. My guess it will likely be one of the heads of the resorts or their vice presidents. Hopefully, if not George, then someone from the Disneyland Resort.

Comment

Good riddance!
        "There's no off position on the genius switch"

Twitter: @WRDinc | Instagram: @WRDinc

Comment

Where can I apply for the job? My first act would be overhauling Imagination and bringing Dreamfinder back.

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
            Where can I apply for the job? My first act would be overhauling Imagination and bringing Dreamfinder back.
            You're hired
            MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
              This is an opportunity for Disney to make the right changes - especially for the Orlando parks.
              :lol:

Mark my words. Al's replacement will make you long for the days when he was in charge.

There are still way too many Rasulo Flying Monkeys left in P&R, poised for promotion. Iger and Staggs could have begun implementing changes a while back. Staggs could have started eliminating those remnants of Rasulo's regime when he took over, but has yet to do so. And he's had plenty of time.

I don't see Al's retirement as a new beginning. I see just the opposite, actually. Al is just getting out while the getting is good. Why retire when you're too old to fully enjoy it?

Until Burbank is fully willing and able to pump major bucks into P&R, nothing is going to change. Al's replacement will simply be another empty suit who takes accountaneering marching orders with finesse.

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

:sleep:

---------- Post added 06-22-2011 at 02:03 PM ----------

From a regular poster on the Hysterical Location web site:
              Since his retirement is effective immediately (though he will work with Staggs till Nov) my guess is that this is not a voluntary retirement. The man is 57 years old. Staggs has said he is not naming a replacement and is looking to change the management structure for the parks division.

Hold on to your hats. This could be very interesting.
              Hmm... not naming a replacement for Weiss? Changing the management structure for the parks?

:blink:

This could get interesting indeed.
              "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Comment

I thoght this position was created for Al, so I would not be surprised to see it go. The end of this position could be good, as it might signal some move away from homogenization.

Comment

This makes the switch around with Dan Cockerell and the guy from the Studios make more sense. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dan being groomed for this position.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
                    From a regular poster on the Hysterical Location web site:
                    Since his retirement is effective immediately (though he will work with Staggs till Nov) my guess is that this is not a voluntary retirement. The man is 57 years old. Staggs has said he is not naming a replacement and is looking to change the management structure for the parks division.

Hold on to your hats. This could be very interesting.
                    Hmm... not naming a replacement for Weiss? Changing the management structure for the parks?

:blink:

This could get interesting indeed.
                    Maybe Burbank finally got tired of the extreme penny pinching as well. Or maybe that flaw update thread really works. That was pretty fast.

I'll also vote Aimster as the new head, but you have to bribe me with some position like head of transportation, or Executive Vice-President of not using digital projections in place of of Audio-Animatronics.
                    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm so confused. I thought Al was the lead Imagineer behind Shanghai. People on here have been saying that Shanghai is his baby, so why would he retire before Shanghai even comes close to opening? And wasn't Al the lead Imagineer behind the DCA revamp also? It sure seems like a lot of work for one guy...

Comment

We can only hope that whoever gets assigned to replace Weiss gives WDW some much needed love in time for the 50th Anniversary.

Comment

Originally posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
                          I'm so confused. I thought Al was the lead Imagineer behind Shanghai. People on here have been saying that Shanghai is his baby, so why would he retire before Shanghai even comes close to opening? And wasn't Al the lead Imagineer behind the DCA revamp also? It sure seems like a lot of work for one guy...
                          You are mistaken due to similar last name. Bob Weis is the lead imagineer in charge of Shanghai Disneyland and DCA.

Did some googling, and found out that Bob has Twitter.

Bob Weis (BobWeis) on Twitter

---------- Post added 06-22-2011 at 04:16 PM ----------

Disney Parks president Al Weiss is retiring

In order to facilitate a timely transition for Worldwide Operations, Al will step out of his current leadership role. Given his long tenure and institutional knowledge, I am pleased to say he will work directly with me as a resource from now until his official retirement date of November 1. I will provide details on our new operations structure in the coming weeks.
                          I guess we have to wonder what the new operations structure will be. Hopefully, it won't mean having more executives in charge at the top (that wouldn't make sense). My guess is that the Resort presidents are likely to gain more control, and Staggs will probably strengthen his role as chairman. But I guess you never know.

Comment

I hope, and you should all hope it is Dan. He is AMAZING!!!!!!
                            Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

ORWEN: No, no! I think KingEric should get the job!! He's the one who's REALLY amazing!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X