Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much land is left around WDW for development (is a 5th gate possible one day)?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] How much land is left around WDW for development (is a 5th gate possible one day)?

Does anyone know how much land is left around WDW that could be developed in the future?

Is a 5th Gate possible for WDW one day (even if it might not be economically realistic now)?

Also...is there land available for the MK to have expansions with new lands in the future? When I look at a map, I can imagine Adventureland being expanded and Frontierland as well. I think the map makes it look like Tomorrowland can be expanded too. Am I wrong?

Does anyone know how much land that Disney owns is still left for development?

Any thoughts on what could happen in the future?

Re: How much land is left around WDW for development (is a 5th gate possible one day)

yes, its easily feasible for possibly several new parks/hotels to be built on Disney property to be built in the future. the question is, why would they want to? only so many people are going to come to the parks in a year so opening another theme park is only going to draw numbers off of other people who were going to be at the park anyways. it would be great guest wise as it would bring down the amount of people in other parks and reduce lines making for an overall better guest experience, but it makes 0 sense from a business perspective. Disney would much rather keep the amount of parks they have, expand every couple of years at each location, and upgrade the lowest ranked experiences. there are 3 parks right now that have plenty of space and unused locations for expansions to make them more full overall experiences. currently the magic kingdom with this recent expansion is basically closed in so to speak at this point, the only way i could see a feasible expansion is if they demoed the speedway or at least cut its footprint or moved it, and installed more attractions there. there is also a back area connecting main street and tomorrow land that is currently executive parking and could feasibly be made into an expansion point but its less likely. currently about a third of the land Disney owns is undeveloped and i predict it will remain so outside of hotels and other park expansions, i feel they have zero interest in building a new full scale theme park, at least not for 25 years + if ever at all.

Comment

Re: How much land is left around WDW for development (is a 5th gate possible one day)

Actually they way the property has been developed there isn't a ton of usable land left.

This sounds like a google maps project....
      Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
        Actually they way the property has been developed there isn't a ton of usable land left.

This sounds like a google maps project....
        the land between the speedway and coranado springs?

the land on both sides of the proposed flamingo crossings?

the land between Epcot and the campgrounds?

the area all around DHS, Blizzard beach, and Wide world of sports?

these are all feasible areas of expansion and all quite usable lands and this is after taking out land that would not be suitable for expansion or new projects. at the very least disney has over of a quarter of its land left to build on realistically if they wanted to.

Comment

If you are ever lost driving on property, you'll find all kinds of land! A certain amount (not sure how much) is set aside as natural preserves. Other areas, the land is too swampy to use. I would love to see a 5th gate open, but it's likelihood looks very slim. A fun rumor went around when Disney bought Marvel of a Marvel-themed adrenaline mini-park by Downtown Disney, but that seems highly unlikely with Universal current contract
          sigpic WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

Comment

Yeah they have plenty of usable land. The only problem is, guests don't take vacations for 10-16 days. They go for a week or less in most cases. 4 parks and two water parks (plus all the resorts and DTD) are plenty to keep guests entertained for that long so it's highly unlikely that WDW will build another park. They might, you never know, but it is highly unlikely unless they change the current set up at the parks and resorts. (if you spend less time traveling between parks it makes your travelling to more parks more feasible).
            Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

Howdy Parks,

"There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we could possibly imagine." Yep, that's what
              Walt Disney said when he first started tellin' us about this idea of his...

A fifth theme park? Of course! Great idea! Anytime something new and exciting comes to Walt Disney World folks come back...and, if they can't see it all in one vacation...my gosh that ain't a problem...it's downright wonderful from a business perspective...that means folks will come back to see the stuff they missed on this trip.

Ya know what I think the folks at Disney need to get up enough courage to do? Build Walt Disney's
              dream for an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow...Progress City...exactly as he was dreamin' it. It's about time things got a little more inspirational and innovative around Walt Disney World again.

And, my gosh, expand that Monorail System! Bring some excitement some spirit back..."If we can dream it, we can do it!" It would take a great deal of vision, a great deal of courage to move the company in the direction Walt Disney dreamed...but, oh, how wonderful the results just might be...not just for Walt Disney World...but for the whole world.

I think Walt Disney knew what he was doin'...and that last dream of his deserves some attention.
              It CAN, and SHOULD be done exactly as he was dreamin' it...the time has come.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
              "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
              I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
              I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
              I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."
              sigpic

Comment

The real development is needed within the parks themselves. MK might have some shoulder room left for a few more expansions (I wouldn't count on anymore lands though). The real work however is gonna be needed in the other three parks. Lots of potential to be had in those areas. Why waste it on a 5th gate? Everytime a new Disney park is built these days (with the exception of Tokyo DisneySea), it's rather underbuilt with the assumption that expansion will eventually happen but most of the time it's a slow process that often dies for a long period of time. I say enough with adding new parks with stunted growth and get the existing parks up to DCA 2.0 levels at the very least.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X