This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Disney's FastPass+ Bracelets get a face... shows up at the FCC

From Disney’s Magic Band arrives on the FCC, offers wireless access to the happiest place on earth |

The long rumored bracelet to be associated with Disney's RFID system shows up at the FCC and we get a pretty picture too..

The interesting bit seems to be it includes an active radio as well as passive RFID tags.

The details included do not include enough info to know if it's like a watchband, or a non-removable bracelet.. but I have to think it's not the snap, un-removable type. I sure hope not!

Re: Disney's FastPass+ Bracelets get a face... shows up at the FCC

How big is it? Is this picture an extreme closeup or the actual size?

Thats the big question.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Comment

Assembled in China...nice..........

Comment

Big Mouse is watching you
        Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
          From Disney’s Magic Band arrives on the FCC, offers wireless access to the happiest place on earth

The interesting bit seems to be it includes an active radio as well as passive RFID tags.

The details included do not include enough info to know if it's like a watchband, or a non-removable bracelet.. but I have to think it's not the snap, un-removable type. I sure hope not!
          I would think that they would make it removable as those chips not the bands themselves, but the chips, are easily reprogrammed and reused cheaply...I would think that it'd be cheaper to reuse the chips than constantly reusing them..

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
          How big is it? Is this picture an extreme closeup or the actual size?

Thats the big question.
          I wouldn't think that it would be much bigger than a smaller watchband, NFC/RFID chips have become quite small recently(I have one in my current and the next phone I'm getting which is awesome for paying for stuff at the supermarket and watching people's confusion) and the coolest part yet is that they are JUST starting to become more mainstreamed for our daily use...imagine when EVERYTHING has a NFC/RFID chip!

And EVEN IF it has a small short range active radio, depending on signal strength it shouldn't need more than a large watch battery to power the thing for a week or two...

pretty interesting tech, but how are they utilizing the radio? That's the only thing that I'm kinda weirded out by, I mean using the RFID chip they can already find out what ride and all of your preferences...why the short range radio? I read through the FCC filing it didn't say
          The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
          -George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
            pretty interesting tech, but how are they utilizing the radio? That's the only thing that I'm kinda weirded out by, I mean using the RFID chip they can already find out what ride and all of your preferences...why the short range radio? I read through the FCC filing it didn't say
            First thing I thought of was radio and headphone jack for hearing impaired guests?

This has a lot of really neat possibilities. I imagine people are going to get pretty upset when they start getting electric shocks when they park at Downtown Disney and try to take the bus to the parks though.
            It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
              I would think that they would make it removable as those chips not the bands themselves, but the chips, are easily reprogrammed and reused cheaply...I would think that it'd be cheaper to reuse the chips than constantly reusing them..

I wouldn't think that it would be much bigger than a smaller watchband, NFC/RFID chips have become quite small recently(I have one in my current and the next phone I'm getting which is awesome for paying for stuff at the supermarket and watching people's confusion) and the coolest part yet is that they are JUST starting to become more mainstreamed for our daily use...imagine when EVERYTHING has a NFC/RFID chip!

And EVEN IF it has a small short range active radio, depending on signal strength it shouldn't need more than a large watch battery to power the thing for a week or two...

Don't let the term radio frequency fool you. RFID stands for Radio Frequency ID. They are probably using a different frequency for these. No one should get terribly paranoid about it.

A lot of electronics these days use radio frequencies and if you want a "Special frequency", you have to go to the FCC and get approval to use them.
              DisneyTwins
              Since May 2003

Comment

I wonder if they'd let you simply carry the device around in your pocket. I'm not big on carrying things around on my wrist, especially clunky things like that.

Comment

I know this sounds dumb but I havent visited any parks outside of the US so my q is do the Disney parks overseas have a fastpass system as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Timon'sGirl View Post
                    I know this sounds dumb but I havent visited any parks outside of the US so my q is do the Disney parks overseas have a fastpass system as well?
                    Yes - all the parks have FP, tho the implementations can differ slightly. For instance, no late returns in Toyko, and they are much much much more in demand. They also have lotto systems for some shows.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                      Yes - all the parks have FP, tho the implementations can differ slightly. For instance, no late returns in Toyko, and they are much much much more in demand. They also have lotto systems for some shows.
                      tokyo does allow late returns, the FP's also aren't linked between parks.

Comment

Will they use this in fastpass+/next-gen or will they use the RFID card?
                        Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Comment

Never had a problem returning and using a FastPass after the window expired over many many trips at the Tokyo Disney Resort.

I don't think the FastPass machines at any multiple park Disney resort are connected. It's hard to park hop effectively and taken advantage of this at Walt Disney World (though I suppose you might go back and forth between Epcot and Hollywood Studios, though it's quite a hike), but at the Disneyland Resort, the Disneyland Paris Resort, and Tokyo Disney Resorts, park hopping is a breeze and you can easily build up a stash of FastPasses for the busy time in the afternoon.
                          Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X