Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is that bird on top of Everest? (WARNING: Spoilers with photos)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is that bird on top of Everest? (WARNING: Spoilers with photos)

Okay, many of you who have seen the videos or have ridden Everest have been wondering why there is a bird at the top of the mountain when the train makes its first stop at the sight of the mangled track. I think it's high time I explained all this.

First we'll explain that when you stop there, there are foot prints in the snow from the Yeti. (Just look to your left when you ride) It's obvious that the Yeti was there. And if that wasn't bad enough, you see this vulture flying above. Yes, it's a Lammergeier Vulture. (Gypaetus barbatus) The largest Eurasian bird of prey. Its beak and tongue are adapted to consuming bone marrow, which it obtains by hurling the bones of its prey against high mountain cliffs. For more information, visit http://www.pbs.org/edens/bhutan/a_lv.htm

So why a vulture you ask? Well, vultures are known commonly as a bad omen so to speak. That certain doom will become of you. Sure enough, the train begins to lose traction on the icy slopes of the mountain and you begin sliding backwards through the dark caverns. This part of the attraction is designed to dis-orient you, so much as to trick you that you are going upside down. Anyway, that's why it's a vulture. And not something else.

So, how are guests supposed to know it's a vulture? Well, there's a sign in the line queue... the Yeti Museum in particular. I took a photo of it and attached it to this post.

Also, any CM that has seen the main computer will be able to tell you that it's labeled as "vulture" in the ride's computer system. So there you have it. The mystery is solved. Enjoy the photos attached of the Lammergeier Vulture and the sign in the Yeti Museum.

I've decided to name him Kenny.
    Attached Files

Re: What is that bird on top of Everest? (WARNING: Spoilers with photos)

Excellent. Thank you for the info!

Comment

Thanks! I try. Now, just because I wrote about the bird in detail doesn't mean that I like it... it's a rather umm, dumb looking prop. lol Not the highlight of the Everest Experience, yet, still a part of. It wouldn't be the same without Kenny.

Comment

You have the eyes of a bird of prey, Bill!

Nice find!

Comment

Does Kenny the bird move? Does he make noise?

Comment

I've decided to name him Kenny.
            He looks more like a Herman to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
              Does Kenny the bird move? Does he make noise?
              He goes up and down, and for a moment it looks as if he's gliding in the wind...

He also goes errrrrrrahhhhhhhcccchhhh. (Normal hawk or vulture sound. lol)

Comment

Originally posted by aimster
                He looks more like a Herman to me.
                How do we know it is a boy?

Maybe it is a Susan, Doreen, Janice, or Shaniqua.

Comment

Shaniqua? Nah. I say Herman, looks like a Herman.
                  And I agree with Bill, not the most important prop...but still details details.

Comment

I'm calling it, Bill! I mean, think about it; the name fits perfectly! Bill is the first Micechatter to discover the idea behind it, and bill is another name for beak! )

Comment

It's totally Kenny man. Thanks for the info Bill!
                      ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Comment

Good job man! Thanks for the info! And that was one heck of a bird call!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Hey Disney Fans, come say hi to me on twitter at @blackiepueblo and listen to our free Entertainment Podcast "Studio Alley" http://www.newlineagestudios.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bill
                          He goes up and down, and for a moment it looks as if he's gliding in the wind...

He also goes errrrrrrahhhhhhhcccchhhh. (Normal hawk or vulture sound. lol)
                          Hmmm... Interesting. I did not hear this "errrrrrrrahhhhhhhhcccchhhh" you mention (BTW..great bird imitation ), but I agree with you Bill.. the prop is there for realism purposes but the prop itself is B*A*D. It looks very much like a fake plastic bird hovering up and down, in and out of view... It would have been much more belieable if it's wings did flap furiously..especially when it hovers upward... Oh well... Thanks for the inside info on the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler
                            How do we know it is a boy?

Maybe it is a Susan, Doreen, Janice, or Shaniqua.

Shaniqua the Vulture of Doom, I love it!

Comment

I think she looks like a Muffy...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X