This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] Google self-driving cars and WDW

Just read this article about the potential benefits of bringing Google cars to the Walt Disney World resort.

Bring to Walt Disney World: Google Cars | The Disney Blog

I think the author's idea is great and not only does it make practical sense but it also seems appropriate in the spirit of the People Mover and Monorail. The mention of having a Google sponsored attraction at Epcot is a great idea as well I believe.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Google self-driving cars and WDW

I think this is a great idea. It sounds like just the thing that Walt would have pioneered at EPCOT city and reminds me of the old Magic Highways episode of Disneyland.

Im im not sure Disney would be willing to pony up the down for the infrastructure needed to do this property wide these days but maybe a google pavilion at EPCOT could use this, or perhaps they could use it on a small scale trial, maybe for something like internal transport at Fort Wilderness and widen it out if it works well

Comment

I personally think it is an amazing idea, because it can be an attraction and/or be a way of actually getting from one place to another. It could even be something that hotel guests can use. Put in your destination and you can go to any theme park, another Disney hotel, or Downtown Disney.

However, I can see Disney using it as a ride more than transportation, since the amount of cars they would need for transportation would be a very large scale.

Comment

I really like the idea of Google and Disney teaming up for EPCOT.
        I’ll remove these restraints and leave this cell with the door open. And... I'll drop my weapon.

Comment

it would be cheaper then installing rapid transit with the current infrastructure already in place and it serves the same purpose.

Comment

Thanks for this link, Mondo Mouse!

Bring to Walt Disney World: Google Cars | The Disney Blog

This would be fantastic. Imagine the cars (instead of taxis) taking guests from the Wilderness Lodge directly to eat at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Disney could charge $15 per person. As with segways and the bullet train, people would love to try out a new way to move.

I'd like guests to be able to hit different audio options with different types of music, different tour guide options, and one nightmarish yet funny "we're taking over" spiel.

Comment

You're welcome jcruise!

As soon as I saw it I just thought, "this guy's idea is brilliant, and perfect for Walt Disney World!" And just as others have mentioned above and I stated prior, it is both practical and appropriate for the resort, and Epcot.

Comment

Google self-driving cars > Un-magical city busses currently used at WDW.

I likey :clap:
                Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Originally posted by sleepyjeff View Post
                  Google self-driving cars > Un-magical city busses currently used at WDW.

I likey :clap:
                  oh theres no way in hell that system could entirely do away with busses at wdw. you would almost need enough cars in the fleet for every on property party in the entire resort which they would never do. most likely it would start out as an upcharge option you could add to your resort fee. and then later come in as a deluxe resort only feature, particularily focused on AK more likely then not since its the only deluxe resort without an alternate form of transport. this or they could automate the buses and just do away with the bus drivers with a couple attendants around the stations instead to help people on and off.

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
                    oh theres no way in hell that system could entirely do away with busses at wdw. you would almost need enough cars in the fleet for every on property party in the entire resort which they would never do. most likely it would start out as an upcharge option you could add to your resort fee. and then later come in as a deluxe resort only feature, particularily focused on AK more likely then not since its the only deluxe resort without an alternate form of transport. this or they could automate the buses and just do away with the bus drivers with a couple attendants around the stations instead to help people on and off.
                    It might be expensive but most of those buses run every 20 minutes and carry around 40 peeps. Assuming the cars carried 2 people (avg) each they'd need only 20 cars to replace one bus. Maybe less since those buses don't always run full.

Comment

I think this is a great idea. Google would probably jump on the idea to advertise their invention to the general public. Sadly, however, I think this may not happen because Disney would probably want to use their own self driving cars and would wait until they create their own. A Google sponsored pavilion at EPCOT isn't unrealistic through.

Comment

While it is interesting and pretty cool idea Disney already has something like this. I get in my vehicle at my resort of choice and it delivers me to which ever park I want to go to. All hands free, I don't even have to touch a door handle if I don't want to. I ride the Disney bus system

I don't see these working IN the parks, nor the resorts. There would just need to be far to many available to be worth it. I'm sure they could put the system into a bus, but then I guess youd be missing out on that supervisory issue" a Disney employee (bus driver) would give.

Incorporated INTO a park might make sense as like the "gondola" ride across to fantasyland from tommorrowland could be a good showcase for them. A private road out and one back with load/unload station at each end would be neat but not show the versatility of the car.

Comment

I still say it would be an interesting addition to EPCOT. A good way to find another sponsor and create a little ride with it. It's has a space age type of feel to it and a major advancement of technology that EPCOT needs to wow guests.

Technology is always changing, but this isn't something that's going to be here and available to the whole public any time soon. This can be something that could impress park guests for years.

Yes, you can ride a bus, or have a taxi "hands free", but to step into a vehicle with no brakes, or stirring wheel and knowing it can stop, slow down, speed up, and steer without any human interaction. That would an interesting thing to experience.

Comment

Originally posted by sleepyjeff View Post
                            It might be expensive but most of those buses run every 20 minutes and carry around 40 peeps. Assuming the cars carried 2 people (avg) each they'd need only 20 cars to replace one bus. Maybe less since those buses don't always run full.
                            and how many busses are there in wdw..... you would need thousands and thousands of these things. and then you would have to think about how that affects the traffic congestion in WDW roads.

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
                              and how many busses are there in wdw..... you would need thousands and thousands of these things. and then you would have to think about how that affects the traffic congestion in WDW roads.
                              About 230 buses. 230 x 20 = 4600 self drive cars ..... Compared to the 50,000+ cars that traverse its' roads everyday it isn't even a 10% bump in traffic.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X