When did CMs start telling people to quit "quoting" the ride dialogue?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jabroniville
    MiceChatter
    • Apr 2013

[Question] When did CMs start telling people to quit "quoting" the ride dialogue?

The first times I went on the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland, people in the room would ALWAYS quote along with the "FIND... A WAYYYY... OUTTTT!" portion- I think every time this happened. This was about 1998 or so. When I returned in 2010-ish, nobody did. And in Disneyworld in 2014, nobody quoted anything, either. Then I found out on the forums here that this behavior usually gets a lecture from Cast Members these days, with people saying "stop talking" or something in non-CM lecture voices.

So when did this start? I actually approve of the practice, though I find it interesting- is it a reaction to too many repeat guests/AP Holders quoting the stories and ruining it for everyone? Did new Disney fans complain to City Hall too many times? I'm curious.
  • DreamsofColor
    • Jan 2011

Re: When did CMs start telling people to quit "quoting" the ride dialogue?

People still quote the rides (especially Haunted Mansion) today. Every time I go, it's hit or miss. Sometimes there's a room full of quoters and sometimes there isn't. Personally I think it's distracting and a bit obnoxious when people do it. Even though it's all in good fun, it's still ruining the experience for other guests. As far as CMs lecturing on discussion boards... I believe it's both CMs and the fans who are speaking up. However, it's not going to stop anything. People are still going to quote the rides no matter what...

Same thing with flash photography. People can speak up all they want but it's not going to stop the bright flashes in the dark. :-/
    "If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

Comment

• Jabroniville
      MiceChatter
      • Apr 2013

I only saw a flash or two at WDW, actually, though it made me realize IMMEDIATELY why such a thing was banned- it lit up the entirety of Pirates of the Caribbean! A ton of people took pictures during a ride breakdown on Haunted Mansion (it was 20 minutes of sitting), though the CMs started hollering as soon as they came by.

It's odd that I never heard a single "quoting" on any of a dozen runs of Haunted Mansion, though.

Comment

• goofy donald
        MiceChatter
        • Jan 2011

it isn't really the actual quoting thing that started this rule, its simply being too loud. primarily it was brought about by the likes of those south american tour groups that sing those camp songs at the top of their lungs at boarding times or ride breakdowns while not to mention walking through the park. any noise loud enough that it will affect the experience of others is not allowed.

Comment

• DisCollector
          MiceChatter
          • Nov 2012

I never heard of CMs telling people to not quote dialogue while on the ride. It is discussed and considered inconsiderate and annoying in the Mice Chat community however. It's mainly complained about in the Disneyland section since it's considered a more local park and more pass holders, therefore more visitors who visit frequently and therefore know the dialogue, or songs better.

People usually bring up the HM, because people also not only quote dialogue (which they usually comment on these people being very loud), but scream during the part in the elevator when it goes dark and you hear a scream. It's one thing if someone was genuinely scared, but it's another thing if it's a bunch of kids screaming just to make noise and thinking they're being funny.

I never had these experiences on HM. However, I can understand why they'd be upset about the screaming and quoting of the dialogue. Another example of this is, one time I was listening to a CD of Green Day live in concert and I couldn't enjoy it, because you could hear all the people singing along, but not the band itself.

People who are huge fans of the rides, or are experiencing it for the first time want to hear the characters and experience the ride itself, not have people quote, sing, or do other things that distract themselves from enjoying the ride.

Comment

• hadla
            MiceChatter
            • Apr 2009

Yeah especially when people feel the need to try to be the loudest screamer right in your ear... When you're packed into the elevators... :verymad:
            Just a lurker now. ._.

WDW: 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, 2003, 2014
            Disneyland: 1997, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2014

Comment

• Great Movie Rider
              MiceChatter
              • Apr 2012

I was in the Magic Kingdom Mansion one time when a cast member curtly told parents their children were ruining the show because they had those stupid light-up contraptions.

Comment

• frollofan
                ********ter
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
                I was in the Magic Kingdom Mansion one time when a cast member curtly told parents their children were ruining the show because they had those stupid light-up contraptions.
                I like this CM!!

Comment

• Hillchat
                  Tiki Dancer
                  • Aug 2013

I was (and will continue to be) one of the complainers on the Disneyland threads on this subject. Bring more of those CMs to Disneyland! :clap::thumbup::bow:

Comment

• PlutoHasFleas
                    Kingdom Keeper
                    • May 2013

Originally posted by hadla View Post
                    Yeah especially when people feel the need to try to be the loudest screamer right in your ear... When you're packed into the elevators... :verymad:
                    In WDW, the walls move up. It's not an elevator like DL

Approximately 1.2% of the posts in the Walt Disney World Resort MiceChat forum have been contributed by PlutoHasFleas

Comment

• hadla
                      MiceChatter
                      • Apr 2009

It was in Disneyland
                      Just a lurker now. ._.

WDW: 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, 2003, 2014
                      Disneyland: 1997, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2014

Comment

• Avaren
                        i believe in faeries.
                        • May 2012

i think it's annoying when people quote the dialogue. i also think it's annoying when people talk along with a movie i'm trying to watch, too. i think people (quoters) forget than even though it may be their 100th time on a ride, it also may be someone's first.

Comment

• TheMansionMaid
                          A Happy Haunt
                          • Dec 2010

Most CM will not tell them not to spiel because that is just another interruption. However consider that when you spiel along with the ghost host you are ruining the show. It no longer becomes a unique event. You are no longer in a Haunted Mansion with a real ghost speaking to you for the first time. You are in a room with an automated spiel that goes off every five minutes. If you have been on thousands of times that is awesome I'm glad you like the ride that much. You should be considerate to the guests who are on the ride for the first time.
                          If would like to join our jamboree there's a simple rule that's compulsory. Mortals pay a token fee. Rest in peace, the haunting's free; so hurry back, we would like your company!

Comment

• mickdaddy
                            MiceChatter
                            • Dec 2009

Full volume quoters are annoying and distract from the show however I would gladly take that over a group of people talking through the entire ride as though they have not left the line. This happened over and over on my last trip to WDW a couple of weeks ago, I had to shush a few people because it was so distracting.
                            BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

• Jabroniville
                              MiceChatter
                              • Apr 2013

That's pretty rude of them- I'm glad I never had any of THAT happen! I just had the usual crowd of "stop in the middle of a busy passageway" people every five seconds, but to be honest, I find that at EVERY SINGLE PLACE I VISIT these days, even my regular ol' hometown- that's just something people DO these days.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X