X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AK +10k over peak attendance

This is what was posted over at WDWmagic a few days back:

22 March 2006: Animal Kingdom forecasting new attendance records

Boosted by the massive new Expedition Everest, Animal Kingdom is expecting record attendance over this Easter period. The previous highest attendance at Animal Kingdom is being forecast to be beaten by almost 10,000 additional guests on some days.
    AK has historicly closed its gates at capacity during the Easter period in the morning hours, but reopened later in the day.

This year the park is actually moving to open an hour earlier to all guests at 8am and even earlier at 7am to Disney resort guests.

Apparently, Everest is working to bring in the crowds. Similiarly, Epcot has been doing extremely well since Soarin' opened. The only apparent "loser" is MGM which doesn't seem to be seeing as much growth as the other parks, and thus is expected to have less of an attendance raise (though it is expected to raise).

Your thoughts?

Re: AK +10k over peak attendance

My thoughts? Honestly, I could not be more happier for DAK. I am always the first to champion its pros, and I will always admit the cons but it truly is a great park. Everest is a fantastic bonus, and will give DAK the exposure it deserves.

Yes, MGM hasn't had its predicted growth rates, but at least it is still growing. I'm surprised that Epcot has beat predictions - I didn't think Soarin' would give that big a boost.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Comment

I think this goes to show that if you build good attractions, people will come. I hope someone at the Mouse House gets that...

Comment

Originally posted by Speedway
        I'm surprised that Epcot has beat predictions - I didn't think Soarin' would give that big a boost.
        Turtle Talk is also a factor. It's doing better than anyone dreamed when they re-opened the Living Seas from the minor facelift. 80+ min waits are common there, where Soarin runs around 90-120mins.

I would say if they didn't already plan to open the Nemo ride, the project would of been seen as unneeded. That half of the park is very busy now.

I find it interesting that AK killed a theater show but opened Everest and can go 10k higher than it's old peak where it reached capacity. Similarly, Epcot had its highest single day attendance the year M:S opened during the winter holidays. Prior to this, Epcot had during it's opening years 2-hour waits for everything.. Apparently both parks have expanded their capacity greatly.

Comment

Very nice, I'm glad that AK is getting some recognition. Apparently it just needed that one attraction to pull people in. I admit even I considered it as a last park to visit when given choices and now my daughter and I are going this Sunday.

Comment

Just beware Summer, crowds at AK have been like nothing i've seen at that park before lately. At opening, the pathways around the Oasis were full of people almost back to the front gate, so much for seeing the "awakening" opening show.

Comment

Yes good for AK, I mean it only has .6 million to go to beat MGM for attendance...its amazing how we're getting to see some park mature like EPCOT and AK in short times...something the "Disneylands" all did years ago.
              ...but does Everest/walkway/allthat really add 10K to capacity?

Comment

I heard a rumor that if Expedition Everest brings in the crowds....we will see something MAJOR get fasttracked for construction at DAK...so everyone pack into DAK seriously!

Comment

I heard a rumor that if Expedition Everest brings in the crowds....we will see something MAJOR get fasttracked for construction at DAK...so everyone pack into DAK seriously!

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
                    I think this goes to show that if you build good attractions, people will come. I hope someone at the Mouse House gets that...
                    If you build a mountain they will come, anyway. I was surprised how little ToT helped DCA in Anaheim. I mean, the suck-level of that park has been well documented, but I thought such a nice attraction would pull *some* people in. It's even more ironic that an attraction which premiered at DCA is going like gangbusters at Epcot.

I'm wondering how AK is going to handle such crowds. When I was there two years ago there weren't that many people and walkways were still crowded. I'm planning to check out EE the first week of December. I hope the crowds have tapered off by then.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
                      Great. They build something new, the park gets more busy and there's one less thess thing to draw in the crowds right now. (And yes, I'm still mourning the loss of Tarzan. It would've been right next door while guests were waiting for FPs or something! ) Sorry, I'm just thinking of the holidays when Disney tends open more areas that are now "seasonal" to help ease the flow of guests and how they really don't have that option with something as new as DAK.

Makes me wonder what they would build... ?

Comment

Yeah but just think, the massive production they're planning for the old theatre in the wild is going to be pretty sweet. Supposedly it used the blacklight system used in Voyage of the Little Mermaid.

Comment

But hopefully it is longer. I was impressed with VoLM's puppets...but uh yeah that show dissapointed me when I saw it in Feb (1st time in 10 years at least). It was way to short. A new Nemo musical could be interesting...but I still would like to hear some of Nemo's music...

Comment

ORDDU: Just so you know, tloolgb duckling, The Voyage of the Little Mermaid went through a sad metamorphisis a few years ago. They changed the story and took away the animatronic figure of Sebastian--who used to introduce guests to the show way back when. Plus some of the lazer technology was either reduced or changed. Now it begins rather abruptly with the Under the Sea Number and some of us find this to be pretty unacceptable--just jumping right into the middle of the story like that.

ORGOCH: But the worst of it's how poor ol' Ariel seems ta gone an' lost her voice!! Poor gal cain't sing worth a dang no more. All those years a croonin' away seems ta takin' its toll. Most a the time she's off key er off beat. Guess they don't pay her 'nuff clams ta keep her performance up ta snuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Witches of Morva
                              ORDDU: Just so you know, tloolgb duckling, The Voyage of the Little Mermaid went through a sad metamorphisis a few years ago.
                              Really, was this to make the time more manageable when they added Fastpass? It didn't seem as I remembered it...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X