This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovery River Boats Video

I would have liked to ridden these but never got the chance but heres some videos I found:

Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UqQVO2FCO0

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8WhAD32efs

Re: Discovery River Boats Video

Great videos! I never rode this either! When did they do this at AK and for how long? Now they just use the boat landing for character interactions don't they? I don't get it? Those boats were full and it looked like a gret informative experience!
    Originally posted by larasound
    am I the burrito man?

Comment

Thanks for posting the links. lol Cornstalk of death!

Comment

Your welcome!

Great videos! I never rode this either! When did they do this at AK and for how long? Now they just use the boat landing for character interactions don't they? I don't get it? Those boats were full and it looked like a gret informative experience!
        I believe they were around from when the park first opened till like 1999.
        Problem is lines were long and people were getting disgruntled.

Comment

They really did not have very much going for them. The lines would develop, and they would travel around the river. However, the sights were minimal, and since you had to take the entire trip, instead of stopping half way in Asia, the lines would develop very quickly. Combine that with the minimal attractions in DAK, and people waiting 45 minutes or more to ride, and people became angry very quickly. They tried to make it more intersting by adding an animal guide with small animals on board, and later a prerecorded Radio Disney Spiel, but nothing could save them.

They now use them to have a band and characters travel the river on occassion. I also saw them used in Bay Lake as training for the boat drivers. Quite a surprise to see one of the old Discovery River Boats dock at the Polynesian.
          It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
            They really did not have very much going for them. The lines would develop, and they would travel around the river. However, the sights were minimal, and since you had to take the entire trip, instead of stopping half way in Asia, the lines would develop very quickly. Combine that with the minimal attractions in DAK, and people waiting 45 minutes or more to ride, and people became angry very quickly. They tried to make it more intersting by adding an animal guide with small animals on board, and later a prerecorded Radio Disney Spiel, but nothing could save them.

They now use them to have a band and characters travel the river on occassion. I also saw them used in Bay Lake as training for the boat drivers. Quite a surprise to see one of the old Discovery River Boats dock at the Polynesian.
            Yeah, I could see that being a problem. Hmmm...I bet that was quite funny seeing one of those boats in Bay Lake.) "Well, Bob, you failed the boat driving test since we are no longer on the river let alone in Animal Kingdom."
            am I the burrito man?

Comment

Forgot I took a pic of it at the Polynesian. Here ya go:

Comment

Oh, blast it. I got these confused with the swan boats at the MK.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania View Post
                  Oh, blast it. I got these confused with the swan boats at the MK.
                  The Plaza Swan Boats actually had the shape of a swan in the front and, besides "If you had Wings", it's the one ride I miss the most at the MK.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                    The Plaza Swan Boats actually had the shape of a swan in the front and, besides "If you had Wings", it's the one ride I miss the most at the MK.
                    Oh wow...If you had wings, the good old Delta sponsored ride. I still think about it every time I'm in Space Ranger Spin in the part where the screen used to show the birds...Great now the song is stuck in my head.)
                    am I the burrito man?

Comment

I remember riding this attraction in June '98 and being completely disappointed with it. It was the one attraction at DAK that I was totally bored with. Seriously folks you're not missing anything now that it is gone.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

Comment

God those boats are maHOOsive. I thought they were much smaller.
                        BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                        October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                        October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                        July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                        July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                        February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                        February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                        TRIP REPORTS

Comment

I don't care about them as a ride but at least they give the river some life. I wouldn't care if they just ran the empty boats around - at least it's using that river for SOMETHING!

Comment

Yeah. I road them in August of '99 and the only thing I remember is getting some great close-up shots of the DAK tree, so they couldn't have been that great.
                            Photographers Unite!
                            Preserve Our Liberties

"Mono" means one and "rail" means... rail.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevie View Post
                              I don't care about them as a ride but at least they give the river some life. I wouldn't care if they just ran the empty boats around - at least it's using that river for SOMETHING!
                              Actually, they do run the boats with a band and characters on it several times a day. It enters and exits near Everest, and I beleive travels the entire circuit of the river. So, they are trying to infuse life into the river in some way.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X