Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

    Staying at the Poly with wife and two kids from Oct. 17-22.

    Several reasons almost didn't book this trip...
    1. Money. This is really a minor reason compared to reason 3. Money is there, it's just that it could be spent on other things. I look at it this way; one can always make more money, but memories can't be replaced.

    2. SSE is closed. This is my 5 year olds fave ride! I took her on it at least 6 times last year. Oh well. We'll get back again after the refurb is done. Besides, I asked her and she said it was OK to miss it this time as long as we ride HM this year!

    3. All the complaining on this forum. Between the negative posts and the "Declining by Degrees" articles, I was becoming rather disheartened with visiting WDW.

    Gave it some thought and decided the positives of WDW far outweigh the negatives. Can honestly say that in, 6 or 7 visits to WDW, I've never really had a bad time there. Thought about alternatives, like an overseas Disney park and that option is totally out of the question due to lack of time, and having to travel with kids. Did explore visiting DL, but would have been a bit of a travel hassle due to flying out of Milwaukee (no direct flights to Anaheim resulting in more than double the travel time!) and well, there's no Epcot or AK there, so WDW won.

    So that's that! Any Micechatters going to be at WDW Oct. 17-22?
    Last edited by Pacha; 06-21-2007, 07:21 PM.


  • #2
    Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

    I won't be there, but you are going at a very good time in the way of crowds. It is almost always dead and there are no wait times. If you go on vacation with the mindset that you and your family will have a great time, you most definately will!


    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

      That's the problem with the declining by degrees and negative posts we all make because it does ruin the parts that are good. The thing that I try and keep in mind is that for every bad thing we see on the property that there are still 10 great things that we don't mention. For all the griping we do about the property, for most of us we keep going back and we still have fun while we're there. So they're still doing something right.

      And as to your comment about money, my pastor at church said something similar. He said that the best advice he ever heard about money is that as long as you're smart, it'll always grow back.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

        So that's that! Any Micechatters going to be at WDW Oct. 17-22?
        I believe Invasion II is happening around that timeframe too so there should be a TON of MCer's out and about.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

          Originally posted by Pacha View Post
          So that's that! Any Micechatters going to be at WDW Oct. 17-22?
          No clue just yet as I have to see what my schedule will look like once I get stuff from my profs the first week of school. But the MC WDW Invasion II will be happening around that time.

          And if nothing else, I hear Wisconsin is very close to Minnesota. :cwink: (Well I know we're about 5 hours away since your by Milwaukee but I thought I'd throw that out there all the same.)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

            Originally posted by aimster View Post
            I believe Invasion II is happening around that timeframe too so there should be a TON of MCer's out and about.
            Good point! I'll check out the Invasion II thread to see who will all be there!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

              Originally posted by SorcererMickey View Post
              I won't be there, but you are going at a very good time in the way of crowds. It is almost always dead and there are no wait times. If you go on vacation with the mindset that you and your family will have a great time, you most definately will!
              Good to know regarding the crowds. Thanks for the info!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

                Originally posted by BigPigletFan View Post
                No clue just yet as I have to see what my schedule will look like once I get stuff from my profs the first week of school. But the MC WDW Invasion II will be happening around that time.

                And if nothing else, I hear Wisconsin is very close to Minnesota. :cwink: (Well I know we're about 5 hours away since your by Milwaukee but I thought I'd throw that out there all the same.)
                That is true about WI being close to MN. I'll be sure and let you know the next time we get out that way to visit my wife's brother and his family. They live near Mall of America.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

                  Out of curiosity, why did you opt for the Poly instead of one of the value resorts (like Pop Century for example)?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

                    Originally posted by Twist_of_Fate View Post
                    Out of curiosity, why did you opt for the Poly instead of one of the value resorts (like Pop Century for example)?
                    I think I understand why you're asking this...
                    My money comment is more of a general statement about how expensive a place like WDW can be. It's not that we don't have the money, it's just that it's money that could have been spent on other things. In the end, for various reasons, WDW won out over the other options.

                    Far as why we chose the Poly specifically, the biggest reason was because it was the least expensive of the monorail resorts, and we really wanted to check out the convenience of staying at a monorail resort for this trip.

                    Other reasons included beach access (for watching fireworks+water parade), entertainment (Luau, character meals etc.), the child care option and the nice restaurants there.

                    So, given all those benefits, we felt that Poly would be worth the extra $'s over a value this time. We'll see...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

                      Originally posted by kcnole View Post
                      And as to your comment about money, my pastor at church said something similar. He said that the best advice he ever heard about money is that as long as you're smart, it'll always grow back.

                      Wow, just wow.

                      What a recipe for disaster. No wonder Americans are billions of dollars in debt.

                      No, you cannot take it with you, but there is something to be said for be responsible. Geeze, yeah, make memories now, so later when all you have are memories of $15,000 credit card bills, reverse mortages, and constant fighting over who spent what and were the money for the food is going to come from, at least you can look back at the memories. Or if your smart, it will grow back (just like a tree).

                      Really, if anybody cannot afford to go to do something that is not necessary, then don't do it. Its as simple as that. If its a trade off, thats one thing. If you were going to buy a new TV, but go to WDW INSTEAD, then that works. Don't do both, and then expect the money to grow back.

                      -dave
                      "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
                      "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

                        Originally posted by Phonedave View Post
                        Wow, just wow.

                        What a recipe for disaster. No wonder Americans are billions of dollars in debt.

                        No, you cannot take it with you, but there is something to be said for be responsible. Geeze, yeah, make memories now, so later when all you have are memories of $15,000 credit card bills, reverse mortages, and constant fighting over who spent what and were the money for the food is going to come from, at least you can look back at the memories. Or if your smart, it will grow back (just like a tree).

                        Really, if anybody cannot afford to go to do something that is not necessary, then don't do it. Its as simple as that. If its a trade off, thats one thing. If you were going to buy a new TV, but go to WDW INSTEAD, then that works. Don't do both, and then expect the money to grow back.

                        -dave
                        Aw geez, I didn't mean to open this can o' worms!

                        Just to clarify, the money issue with this trip is the of the trade off variety. Only in this case it was a "give up the nice, but totally unnecessary kitchen remodel to go to WDW" thing. So, in this case, it's definitely not being irresponsible, nor is it getting into massive debt for a frivolous thing...it's simply making a choice.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

                          Edited original post to clarify the money thing. :blush:

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

                            Originally posted by kcnole View Post
                            That's the problem with the declining by degrees and negative posts we all make because it does ruin the parts that are good.
                            I agree; this is why I preface every DbD article with a comment that the following is not meant to scare off customers; the articles are aimed at WDW management. My strong advice is that you still go. WDW still beats most non-Disney competition. If it didn't, I'd just close up shop and start writing articles about Busch or IOA or whatever.
                            Kevin Yee
                            MiceAge Columnist

                            I am the author of several Disney books:
                            Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                            Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                            Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                            Mouse Trap
                            Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                            101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                            Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

                            “The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

                              Originally posted by KevinYee View Post
                              I agree; this is why I preface every DbD article with a comment that the following is not meant to scare off customers; the articles are aimed at WDW management. My strong advice is that you still go. WDW still beats most non-Disney competition. If it didn't, I'd just close up shop and start writing articles about Busch or IOA or whatever.
                              But as you can tell to most readers don't notice that disclaimer.

                              I for one beleive you are not doing a service but a huge dis-service to the parks by pointing out these things.

                              I understand this is not what you beleive you are doing, but I think the end result is negative.

                              I beleive a letter to the company would be more effective than the public forum you use, which I believe is more to promote your books than to spur any real change at the parks.

                              JMHO.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X