Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney-MGM Studios name change official! (Merged)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Disney-MGM Studios name change official! (Merged)

    According To the Orlando Sentinel, The Disney-MGM Studios is a thing of the past come January 2008. See here: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...,3700135.story





    I personally would of prefered just the Disney Studios Florida or Walt Disney Studios Florida. I like the new name, just don't love it. Oh well, I'll probably just still call it MGM.
    Last edited by horizonsfan92; 08-09-2007, 12:54 PM. Reason: clarifying my opinion
    - Horizonsfan

  • #2
    Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

    Here's the official press release -

    http://wdwnews.com/ViewPressRe
    lease.aspx?PressReleaseID=107616

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

      I like the new name. But when I am there again in October, I may have to pick up some MGM merchandise before it is taken away. Thanks for the heads up horizonsfan.


      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

        P.S. I would love to hear what all our supposed "insiders" have to say about this name change. I don't recal any of them saying it would be rebranded as Disney's Hollywood Studios.

        EDIT: Dan Young you beat me to it! Just to remind everyone, it is also official that Block Party Bash and HSM2 are coming in '08. No real big surprise there...

        EDIT AGAIN: Also forgot to say that Playhouse will be updated. Once again, most people already heard about it.
        Last edited by horizonsfan92; 08-09-2007, 11:32 AM.
        - Horizonsfan

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

          I'm sort of glad that Disney is finally dropping the MGM part, but why Hollywood? The park is not located in Hollywood and there is so much more entertainment outside of "Hollywood."

          I would have much preferred they just call it The Disney Studios.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

            When I was there in May they had DATED, 2007 Disney-MGM Merch that I figured would just end up at Property Control or on sale at the end of the year like the rest of the dated merch. But for some reason I think this stuff will sell, especially now.

            For now, I'm happy with this name change, even though they just spent months and $ re-doing the archway to Animation just two years ago. It makes me wonder if DCA will do the same in the near future. Hopefully this change will go smoothly and only leave the MGM on old merch, CM stuff (like costumes, etc). And of course, guests will still be confused and as they drive in and continue to think they are going to Universal Studios - but now, the one in Hollywood instead.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

              I guess we should be gratefull that they took the middle road but really, why Disney's Hollywood Studios? It doesn't roll off the tongue any more than Disney*Pixar Studios and far less than Disney*MGM Studios. It would of been best if they had gone with Walt Disney Studios Orlando (or Florida). We've still got 5 months for them to change their minds so who knows? My guess is we're stuck with it.

              I wonder if Disney's recovering relationship with Lucas has anything or everything to do with the name change not being something solely Disney i.e. Disney Studios, Walt Disney Studios, etc....

              EDIT: Of course there's also the Muppets to consider too.
              - Horizonsfan

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

                Originally posted by BigPigletFan View Post
                When I was there in May they had DATED, 2007 Disney-MGM Merch that I figured would just end up at Property Control or on sale at the end of the year like the rest of the dated merch. But for some reason I think this stuff will sell, especially now.

                For now, I'm happy with this name change, even though they just spent months and $ re-doing the archway to Animation just two years ago. It makes me wonder if DCA will do the same in the near future. Hopefully this change will go smoothly and only leave the MGM on old merch, CM stuff (like costumes, etc). And of course, guests will still be confused and as they drive in and continue to think they are going to Universal Studios - but now, the one in Hollywood instead.

                I bet you anything that DCA will do the same thing if not by the same name, Mgm studios and DCA have so much in common, they both have muppets 3D, they both have high school musical, tower of terror, the animation building, they are both getting midway mania, and probably in the near future they are both possibly getting a ratouille themed mouse coaster in a similar style of the crush coaster in paris.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

                  So much for that press release that said they're not changing it. Tol ya not to believe it.


                  Best hold on to Your Hats and Glasses, 'cause this heres the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

                    I agree that Disney Studios Florida would make more sense, but I think this is also a nice way to say that there are no Studios here too, it's a throwback to Hollywood instead.

                    I do like however that they did not focus on the obvious synergy with ABC or Pixar Studios, but I think it will always be called MGM by me.
                    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!









                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

                      I don't really get the Hollywood thing, but I'd like it better if they got rid of the hat.

                      If they got rid of the hat, I'd like any name they gave the park.
                      Denise

                      www.mousesteps.com




                      Favorite TDL Typo:

                      Originally posted by TDLFAN
                      I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
                      on Bay Lake.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

                        Originally posted by horizonsfan92 View Post
                        ...why Disney's Hollywood Studios? It doesn't roll off the tongue any more than Disney*Pixar Studios and far less than Disney*MGM Studios.
                        Disney MGM Studios. Disney's Hollywood Studios. Seems about the same to me, tongue wise. I think it's a matter of familiarity. We have 18 years of saying Disney MGM. I think it's a better name than Disney Studios Florida, as the park isn't really a studio at all any more. Remember Eisner said that this is a depiction of the Hollywood that never was and always will be. Seems to make sense to me.

                        At least they didn't restrict themselves by putting Pixar in the name!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

                          Originally posted by nbodyhome View Post
                          , but I'd like it better if they got rid of the hat.
                          Especially as it would make more sense of the new name- restoring the shopping mall with a big plastic eyesore at the end to HOLLYWOOD Boulevard with the Chinese Theatre at the end.
                          Last edited by EPCOT; 08-09-2007, 12:20 PM.
                          48 Favourites From WDW [Photos]



                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

                            Originally posted by nbodyhome View Post
                            I don't really get the Hollywood thing, but I'd like it better if they got rid of the hat.

                            If they got rid of the hat, I'd like any name they gave the park.
                            The new name actually further removes the BAH from the park's purpose. This is now Disney's Hollywood Studios and not much else says "Hollywood" quite like the Chinese Theater.

                            I like the name. Disney-PIXAR Studios would make it sound too PIXAR oriented (as the films are all branded Disney-PIXAR) and Hollywood reflects the "golden Hollywood that never was" aspect of the park.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Disney-MGM Studios name change official!

                              Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                              Disney MGM Studios. Disney's Hollywood Studios. Seems about the same to me, tongue wise. I think it's a matter of familiarity. We have 18 years of saying Disney MGM. I think it's a better name than Disney Studios Florida, as the park isn't really a studio at all any more. Remember Eisner said that this is a depiction of the Hollywood that never was and always will be. Seems to make sense to me.

                              At least they didn't restrict themselves by putting Pixar in the name!
                              Don't get me wrong, I like the new name, I just don't love it. It will just take me a while to get used to the new name.Also, yes the new name slightly gets rid of/gets away from the "working studios" gimmick.

                              And we must applaud them on not being so sleezy as to have Pixar or ABC as the "other name".
                              - Horizonsfan

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X