This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Le cellier- honest opinions needed!

Hi everyone! Since I know many of the posters here have similar views to mine about 'declining by degrees', I am hoping to get an honest, and relatively recent opinion about Le Cellier. dh and I have a reservation for our 'date night' of our Oct trip there, and I am having second thoughts.

I read some not- so- stellar reviews of the place recently, mostly about it being crouded, lots of wild kids, and food about the same at outback. Honestly, since ddp I think that the dining experience at WDW has really suffered, and it sounds like ddp has negatively effected le cellier as well. However, I don't want to miss it if it is really not that bad.

Also, the past two years when we go out for date night at EPCOT during food and wine, it always seems massively crouded and unpleasant. I don't want to waste our one date night at a crouded kid-filled restaurant, and then fighting crouds in WS as well. We we are thinking about making a change.

Any opinions? We are considering cancelling and either going Brown Derby (which I hear has not been as effected by ddp) or off-site.

Re: Le cellier- honest opinions needed!

Wow! It really isn't that bad, I don't know where you read your reviews but I went two weekends ago and the food was fabulous, the service wonderful and it wasn't crowded at all. (However, I have seen it crowded but its never been obnoxious, I think that's all about perception myself)

I'm sure there are going to be people who have had bad experiences but everytime we go I always have a good time.

Our steaks are always good the way we like them, but I have read where some people have had trouble.

Le Cellier has always been our "date" night and we go there as much as we can when we are alone, that being said I think you should definitely keep your reservation, there is a GOOD reason its always booked, I promise, you won't be disappointed.

Comment

We have eaten at Le Cellier on nearly every trip we have taken to WDW since they opened and have never had a bad experience. We have had lunch and dinner there and celebrated quite a few Bdays as well.
      The staff has always been friendly and efficient and the food has always been very good.
      The only thing I would say, that may be less than favorable to some folks, is that it does take a bit of time for the food to come out which is much more noticeable for people like us with kids who are itching to get back to the park.
      They seat you in areas specific to each of the Canadian provinces and give you a little overview about each while you are there. They also serve breadsticks (bottomless) that represent areas of Canada and are quite tasty. And non-alcoholic beverage refills are complimentary which is always a plus for us.
      As I said we have been going for a number of years and while I noticed that the food selections have changed a bit in style, size and design overall it has always been a worthwhile experience and one we will continue to enjoy.
      It is generally a quiet location that we loved going to as a couple prior to having kids and it has remained that way. On the rare occasion you may hearing a crying infant but the very nature of the place seems to dictate the subdued atmosphere that is still just fine with us to this day.
      Last edited by tjcjr; 08-24-2007, 05:27 AM.

Comment

I've always enjoyed Le Cellier - it doesn't attract any wilder kids than normal!

There is nothing wrong with Outback, but I love the mushroom filet at Le Cellier. I also wouldn't do a "date night" in a theme park (in this case, Epcot) if you don't expect kids to be there, unless it's Bistro de Paris. I've not been there, but it's more upscale.

I don't think much has suffered on the DDP, it's just a general slide that has happened over the years at many restaurants at Disney.
        Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
        I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
        on Bay Lake.

Comment

Thanks for the reviews so far! I had heard so many good things about this place, I was psyched to finally try it... so I was sad when I read the bad reviews and thought I had missed it in its prime. I am glad to see that it might just have been an off night for those who wrote the bad reviews!

I don't mind kids in general... but for example I think that they really pack the tables into the mexican restaurant- to me the croudedness and closeness of the tables there make it unpleasant. I was wondering if it is that crouded at Le Cellier?
          Last edited by Nom; 08-24-2007, 05:22 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

The tables are close together, as they are in Italy, France, Mexico (and maybe elsewhere too). You'll know your restaurant neighbor before the end of the meal.

I do enoy Le Cellier, I'm going back next month (maybe twice).
            Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
            I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
            on Bay Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by Nom View Post
              I was wondering if it is that crouded at Le Cellier?
              Some of the tables are close together but it is not obtrusive like the restaurant at Mexico by any means. You could certainly request a quiet seating location if you like and they will try to accomodate you - it never hurts to ask.

BTW - This link will take you to the menu, if you haven't actually seen it already:
              http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_lcd.htm

Enjoy!!
              Last edited by tjcjr; 08-24-2007, 05:45 AM.

Comment

I have only been there for lunch

Here are my impressions.

1) It does have a crowded feel. But then its in a dark basement I would call it a "cozy" feel if I was in PR. It is not open and loud like Chefs de France but more "closed in" and I did not find it noisy at all. Normal background chatter, thats all. There were parties with kids to my left and in front of me. No problems with that, just well behaved kids, but then thats pretty much luck of the draw

2) Nice table settings, very prompt service, from both my waitress and runner/expediter. In fact the entire front of the house staff was very plesant.

3) Food - a step above the Outback. I am still convinced that the Outback gets their salt delivered by the truckload (saltier food = more beer sales, why do you think free bar snacks are always salty/spicy). I haven't eaten in an Outback since they stopped giving me free food (I helped the owner out of a telecommunications jam once ) Le Cellier cannot compare to a high end traditional steak house, but then they are not charging $50+ for a naked steak either. It's good quality meat. By no means the best I have ever had, but far far from the worst as well. I felt I got my monies worth. As for cooking steaks to how I like them, less and less places do that. Unfortunately I like my steaks cold in the middle - very very rare. However with lawsuits and the quality of beef lately many many non-independent (and even many independents) cook to medium-rare and no less. Beef Carpaccio has all but disappeared from menus, and real sukiyaki (with a raw egg to dip it in) is hard to find as well. Oh well, I can't blame restaruants for trying to avoid lawsuits.

So overall, I would say it's a decent place to eat.

-dave
                "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
                "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

We enjoy Le Cellier very much. The tables can be a little close, but when your on a date night, enjoying each others company, odds are you will filter it out. I personally can't stand Outback so this food is much bette in my opinionr. Its not as good as the "nice fancy" steakhouse I like going to while at home, but its not bad either. The bread and soup alone are awesome. We are eating at Le Cellier on our upcoming trip twice so that will give you an idea of my feelings.

I'd be a little wary of some of the restaurant reviews. While researching for this next trip, I came across some reviews of places I've been to several times which left me wondering if we had been to the same place.

Comment

When we were there, we didn't eat there. Our reasoning was - we ARE Canadian so why eat the same food we get here? So we tried out different resturants. Now we are sad we didn't give it a go. 10 days are just not enough days to do everything!!!!! Next time we will hit it for sure!
                    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
                    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

Comment

I am Canadian, too and I admit that I felt pretty lame deciding to eat at Canada while in EPCOT.

However, it was defnitely the best meal I have had at EPCOT (or anywhere else on property for that matter). I ordered my steak blue (which is rarer than rare or cold and raw in the middle) and they got it just right. Also, I don't normally like mashed potatoes but theirs are AMAZING (my hubby had major food envy since he didn't order something that came with them). I can't wait to go back and have more pretzel breadsticks!

Also, they have many wines from Canada and some of them are mighty good (okay, I am a little biased).

Granted, I can't really talk to the crowded issue as we were there for the first seating of the day at lunchtime so there was only us and a few other people.

This is a great date locale.

Comment

Originally posted by perfectparanoia View Post
                        I am Canadian, too and I admit that I felt pretty lame deciding to eat at Canada while in EPCOT.

However, it was defnitely the best meal I have had at EPCOT (or anywhere else on property for that matter). I ordered my steak blue (which is rarer than rare or cold and raw in the middle) and they got it just right. Also, I don't normally like mashed potatoes but theirs are AMAZING (my hubby had major food envy since he didn't order something that came with them). I can't wait to go back and have more pretzel breadsticks!

Also, they have many wines from Canada and some of them are mighty good (okay, I am a little biased).

Granted, I can't really talk to the crowded issue as we were there for the first seating of the day at lunchtime so there was only us and a few other people.

This is a great date locale.
                        Maybe you got lucky, or I was unlucky. I don't order steaks blue because a lot of times you get them "black and blue" when they char the life out of them on the outside and leave them cold on the inside. I don't like to eat a carbon crust

Any place worth its steak knows that blue is the same as very rare - uncooked in the middle. It has become fashionable to order steaks as "blue" instead of simply "very rare", I think it's a foodie thing.

I ordered it very rare and made sure to tell them, "cold in the center". It was not that way when I got it. It was rare, shading to meduim-rare, still good, but not cold in the center.

-dave
                        "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
                        "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

I loved Le Cellier when we ate there. Yeah it's crowded, but that's cuz it's so popular! It's yummy! There was a family at one table close by that was pretty obnoxious. It was like they had never been out to eat before and never to a nice restaurant. They left a huge mess and I think they had brought outside food in for the kids. But there's always someone. It didn't ruin the experience by any means though.

My food was excellent and the service was really good. Well, if I remember correctly, I think it took awhile to get our food, but not too long. My steak was cooked perfectly and the breadsticks are to DIE for! And I love the themed rooms for the provinces. Enjoy!
                          Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
                          FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
                          I bring the magic!!!
                          "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
                          Originally posted by Reverend DMother
                          Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. :love: I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

Comment

One of my favorite meals at WDW. We had a horribley long wait to be seated (thank you DDP :botox: ) but once we were it was wonderful. Service, cocktails, food all of it.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

I got some interior shots last trip that you might want to see.

It's very low lighting, cellar like, which is of course the point.

With flash:

Without:

And you can't eat there without trying the Cheddar Cheese soup, I highly recommend it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X