• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter From Anne Rice about NOLA...

-----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Re: Letter From Anne Rice about NOLA...

Wow, Anne Rice is one of my favorite authors - and everything she said was amazing. One more thing that leaves me feeling shocked and embarrassed that our country is still not prepared to come to aid in a timely fashion.

Comment

She is incredible, isn't she?

After we have spent BILLIONS to 'Be Prepared" it is now obvious the only thing we were 'Preparing' were many friends of the president's family fortunes.

We were no better, in fact worse prepared than back on 9/11/01. Arriving 3 days late killed thousands. I hope those responsible sleep well at night.

Comment

I have been thinking about her since all this happened...I saw her on mtV once with her son, and they toured her house which was an AMAZING old one in the French Quarter....I wonder what happened to it....it was such a beautiful, irreplaceable piece of history....as were all the others...so so SO sad!! :beg:

Comment

Her history of New Orleans brought me to tears in a way that few things do. What a beautiful legacy to bring to the rebuilding.

I agree with her, NO *will* rebuild. She will continue. She has always meant life and that will not change. She has survived other problems and while she must change with this calamity, it will not break her. I love that.

Thank you for posting the letter. I have more respect for her than ever. I don't always like her stories but I always love her style and the places she writes about.
          I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

Had the great pleasure of meeting her at a couple of signings over the years. Treasure my signed copies of The Vampire Lestat & Queen Of The Damned.
            Walked in the footsteps of many of her characters during my vacation trips there. Seen one of her beautiful Garden District homes and met some of her friends at Antoine's and Napoleon House. Her love of the city has inspired many for so many years, it has endured fires, disease, war, floods and more.
            Anne Rice's immortals walk there for a reason. It's an eternal city and will rise again.
            "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Those were very powerful words. As painful as it is to admit, I can't help but feel that she is right. We have faild New Orleans. Where was the help in the moments after the hurricane? After 5 years of Homeland security, how much safer are we? When storms hit Florida, the help came. When it hits largely black New Orleans, it is slow in coming.

My heart is breaking over this, because I know that what she says is most surely true and that I myself have not done enough. This is a human tragedy, not just a local one for New Orleans.
              MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

I mentioned this is another Katrina thread, but it might bear repeating.
                I did some work and was able to encourage (at my husband's company - not mine) that they dollar match employee contributions for a donation to the American Red Cross. I'm pleased is at least worked out in one of the places. It was a bit of a nightmare making calls and begging and pleading that we needed to do something (employees) and that the companies with all there money needed to kick in.
                I urge all of you to talk to your companies to see if they will institute an employee match program - every little bit will help!

Comment

I Just got off the phone with my sister. I am SO PISSED at her right now, i cant even see straight. I posted the a bit of our conversation on another thread, about how she refuses to give a dime to the relief effort.

Glad others are hard at work relieving the suffering.

Comment

Our response to the tsunami was better than our response to our own New Orleans. Bush's response has been disgraceful. Anyone see him hugging that hurricane survivor that looked like she had showered and done her hair? Looked a little staged to me, considering it's hotter than hell out there.

Excellent letter by Mrs. Rice. She and her son are good people.
                    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                    sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

What a wonderful letter!

Comment

Pan - such a heartbreaking read. The part about our country not helping in a timely way really hit me hard. We are first to help other countries, it's a national shame that the South had to beg and plead to get the help they needed.
                        I think Ms. Rice is correct, New Orleans will rise from the muck much in the same way Chicago and San Fransisco did. It will be a new city that hopefully will be able to keep the grace it always had.

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by Chernabog
                          Our response to the tsunami was better than our response to our own New Orleans. Bush's response has been disgraceful. Anyone see him hugging that hurricane survivor that looked like she had showered and done her hair? Looked a little staged to me, considering it's hotter than hell out there.

Excellent letter by Mrs. Rice. She and her son are good people.

Speaking of Hell, Renquist just died. Thank he will be able to wear those gold stripes as he shovels hot coals with Reagan and Nixon into Hitlers behind?

Comment

Those are incredibly powerful words and it is such a pity and shame that our country had such an issue getting assistance to NOLA ... it really is a sad sad thing, and I hope that George Bush is ashamed of himself.

It makes me wonder what the response would have been if Katrina had smashed full force into Texas? Would there have been a delay in assistance?
                            Originally posted by drunkmom
                            this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

Comment

THANKS FOR THE E-MAIL DUMB*** ANUBUS REBORN....YES I KNOW THE LETTER IS DATED SEPT 4th AND TODAY IS ONLY THE 3rd. IT IS FROM THE SUNDAY NATIONAL EDITION, AND IT IS NOT FAKE... HOW IN THE ******* DID YOU GET MY E-MAIL?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/04/op...gewanted=print

GET A LIFE YOU NEOCON ****
                              Last edited by PanTheMan; 09-03-2005, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X